I keep all my gear in the basement, which isnt exactly finished. By that I mean that rather than a ceiling theres just the floor of the first floor and the support beams over my head. I want to know how to best soundproof this room with stuff laying around the house. I'm guessing putting stuff against the ceiling will be the best place to start, but I'm not sure what to use.
If this is the wrong forum I'll move it

thanks.
We've dressed up in our best...

...and are prepared to go down like gentlemen.

Quote by bogg808
The PBT is for those too TGP for the rest of UG.

insulation, they have stuff that blocks alot of sound, ask somebody at your local lowes or home depot and they'll hook you up with the right stuff. you don't need to sheetrock the ceiling then if you aren't ready to finish the basement, but lots of sound will be blocked.
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7
I don't know how to count canadians, the metric system is hard

Quote by gregs1020
well if lbj pokes his head in here and there's no nuts shit's gonna go doooooooowwwwwwwwwn.

{Pedalboard Thread Native: The Muffin Man}
^ LBJ's right, "proper" soundproofing is insanely over priced, insulation and some plasterboards should do alot for you.

Gibson Buckethead Les Paul & Peter Frampton Les Paul
Dean Razorback Slime Bumblebee
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier
EHX Memory Man/Hazarai
Digitch Whammy
Sovtek Straight 4x12
Herdim Picks
Laney Linebacker 50 Reverb
MXR Phase 90
The best thing to do would be build a room within a room, but it doesn't look like you want to shell out the money to do that.

Given what you are trying to do, and what appears to be a limited budget, the best thing that I can recommend is add mass. If you're worried about sound getting to the upstairs, add insulation between the floor joists. The more dense, the better. Put some good weatherstripping around the door going to the basement, as any cracks will let sound through. You may also want to insulate around any duct work, as the ducts will transmit sound to other areas of the house. If the floors upstairs aren't carpeted, add some rugs, as this will help deaden the sound upstairs.
Gear

95 Gibson LP Std
91 Fender Am Std Strat
Peavey Wolfgang Special (USA)

Fender Blues Jr.
Johnson JM120

Vox Tonelab LE