Is this possible to do with the strings falling off? I love the super-vibrato tone.
So it's finaly gotten to the point where guitarists are tuning so low that they may as well be playing a bass.
Yeah, you'd need a baritone or a bass to get that low. Just tuning 3 notes lower (B/Drop B) makes your strings extremely slack, and you're talking about 8 notes.
-Guitar Gear-
1995 American Fender Strat, EMG 85 pup
Randall RH200 Head
Marshall 1960a Cab
Woods Acoustic
-Bass Gear-
Spector Legend 4 bass
Washburn Bantam bass
Hartke HA2500
Fender Bassman 410H
Play what you love, love what you play
Whammy pedal?
For sale
BC Rich Mockingbird Exotic Classic in Koa
Dean VMNT in Silver
Marshall TSL JCM2000 Head

PM For info!

My band
get thick strings or some pedals. f the ones above this, do as you please
Quote by Silver Hammer
That'd be the same range as a bass... what the **** is the point?

Somwhat similar to bass players playing piccolo bases? (See: Brian Bromberg)
Quote by dannyalcatraz
Somwhat similar to bass players playing piccolo bases? (See: Brian Bromberg)

I think piccolo basses are retarded too lol and I play bass. I guess if you had to do it mine as well go with a Fender Bass VI and just play it through a guitar rig. Honestly I think you'd just be getting in your bassists way in a band situation though. Solo it could be cool as piccolo basses can be but instruments that stray into other instruments ranges are pretty hard to fit into a band situation without getting into some one else's way.
Get different gage strinfs, I play in Drop B / A alot as well as Drop C, then standard on my other guitar, keep in mind with new thicker strings you can't tune as high though.
really?...and i thought drop a/b was rediculous

what ever happend to good old standard E? cant get metal enough without drop tunings?

i guess you could just get a gauge that was pretty much a bass string, and put ur neck thru hell...or you could get a baritone...or you could just as well pick up a bass.

the baritone would be the best idea...either way this is pretty nuts.

agreed with the getting into the range of the bass player. if you tune your guitar that low...whats the point to even have a bass player? (in a band situation)
Quote by xXMetal-HeadXx
really?...and i thought drop a/b was rediculous

what ever happend to good old standard E? cant get metal enough without drop tunings?

i guess you could just get a gauge that was pretty much a bass string, and put ur neck thru hell...or you could get a baritone...or you could just as well pick up a bass.

the baritone would be the best idea...either way this is pretty nuts.

agreed with the getting into the range of the bass player. if you tune your guitar that low...whats the point to even have a bass player? (in a band situation)

I play in standard to, low tunings just feel more to my style almost, and not many bands use standard anymore, even Metallica have dropped it, mostly.
Quote by ParamoreAddict
I play in standard to, low tunings just feel more to my style almost, and not many bands use standard anymore, even Metallica have dropped it, mostly.

Metallica plays half step down live now on all their standard songs too.
Call me Sean
Quote by Nilpferdkoenig
He's just trying to protect our innocence.

Yes i am
Quote by :Vicious--

Your flirting powers are incredible.

Gear:
Schecter S1 Elite Black Cherry (Soapbar Neck, Invader Bridge)
Schecter Banshee
Orange Dual Terror
Boss CE-5
Goatkeeper
Quote by Guitarplaya27
Metallica plays half step down live now on all their standard songs too.

Yup, seen them ebfore, they have some stuff lower though, I think I read somewhere The Thing That SHould Not Be is played in C# live, if I find the source for that I'll link it.
Quote by Silver Hammer
That'd be the same range as a bass... what the **** is the point?

SPOILERS: Guitars sound different to basses.
Quote by Silver Hammer
I think piccolo basses are retarded too lol and I play bass. I guess if you had to do it mine as well go with a Fender Bass VI and just play it through a guitar rig. Honestly I think you'd just be getting in your bassists way in a band situation though. Solo it could be cool as piccolo basses can be but instruments that stray into other instruments ranges are pretty hard to fit into a band situation without getting into some one else's way.

But piccolo basses sound completely different to a guitar, as UncleCthulhu rightly said.

Stanley Clarke uses a piccolo bass very well in his band.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
If the only reason you want it an octave lower is because of the super-vibrato thingy, I suggest you just get super light strings.
Quote by Solus_Luna
Is this possible to do with the strings falling off? I love the super-vibrato tone.

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/OLP-MM5-Baritone-Guitar?sku=516074
Just find somewhere else to buy it.
Brigardier of the Seven String E.R.G. Legion
Fiddles
Ibby RG7321 lundgren M7 bridge, blaze7 neck
Ibby AX7521
Ibby RT452
Ibby RGIR20FE
Peedahls
I'll get back to you.
Heeds
Crate GT3500h