My 4x12 is way to loud for home, and I'm itching to get the tube head sound at home. so how hard would it be to get a decient speaker and make a 1x12 cab?
I've done a little electrical work, but not much.
We've dressed up in our best...

...and are prepared to go down like gentlemen.

Quote by bogg808
The PBT is for those too TGP for the rest of UG.

Pretty damn simple and not too expensive if you can build a plywood box. You need to pick a speaker that suits your needs, though. If you want low volume get a speaker with pretty low sensitivity. You pretty much build a box with a mounting hole in it, mount the speaker, run the leads of the speaker to a speaker cable or to a jack in your cab, and plug it into the amp. Just make sure the impedance matches what your amp's expecting. Whether you build it open or closed back will affect the directionality of the sound and the bass response. An open-backed cab generally has a little looser, slightly quieter bass response with sound going out all directions, and a closed-back cab will tend to have a little tighter, louder bass response, but the sound is very directional (i.e. right in front of the cab). The size of the cab also affects bass response, too. A larger cab will be a little bit more bassy than a smaller one and vice versa. The thing that has the biggest effect on the tone is the speaker, though, so get one you like.
Last edited by Mike-T93 at Dec 28, 2008,
So wiring wise its just the + and - on the speaker to the + and - on the input jack? and thats it?

Quote by bogg808

Pretty much. 1x12 wiring is really simple. When you have multiple speakers you can decide on parallel, series, or both to make sure the impedance is a match for the amp. Just make sure you use a speaker cable and not a guitar cable on accident when you hook it up, or bad things can happen to your amp's output transformer (not to mention the guitar cable). Also, forgot to mention the obvious matching of speaker wattage to amp wattage. It wouldn't be good to hook a 100-watt amp up to a 30-watt speaker, but it's fine to hook a 30-watt amp up to a 100-watt speaker.
Thanks guys, any suggestions on what speakers are good but still cheap?

Quote by bogg808

It will be significantly less sound tho yes?

Quote by bogg808

Yeah, cutting the speaker cone area by 75% will have a lot more effect on volume than cutting the wattage by 75%. Won't be bedroom level if you want power tube distortion, but it will be a lot quieter.
You mean the head? (I'm sorry if I sound retarded...)
Its an EVJ, which only really gets good distortion if its really cranked, which isnt much of an option in my small house most of the time...

Quote by bogg808

@Azrael

I didn't say a 1x12 wouldn't be loud, but it will definitely be pushing a lot less air than a 4x12, so it won't carry through walls nearly as well.

@OP

If you want to crank the amp in your house you'll need an attenuator.
Whats an attenuator?
And how hard is the master volume mod? I'm already gonna do the standby one to save the tubes, so why not add another.

Quote by bogg808

Well, all those things will work for more gain at lower volume. An overdrive pedal will throw its own distortion in, a master volume allows you to get preamp tube distortion at a low volume, and an attenuator lets you get preamp tube and power amp tube distortion at a low volume.