by out there i mean progressive i suppose, but im definitely looking for Mars Volta esque bands, as well as Mr. Bungle and Beck also i suppose, perhaps a little more upbeat. If you can help me expand my musical horizans i would very much appreciate it =)
My DeviantArt

Gear;

Vox AC50CPH
Framus FR 212 CB
Ibanez AF105
Ibanez RGT32FMSP
Line 6 DL4

If you have a camera or photography related question, i can help.

Quote by TooFast
I'd fuck the shit out of that dude.
Captain Beefheart
Quote by Guns N' r0ses
I think its 18 in california but I'm just wonderin cuz if i get caught then I can be like "well legally im allowed to watch it" and they'll be like "k koo"
Quote by therealtater
use Pandora radio type in a band Mars Volta in your case and it will give you bands and songs that sound similar to it

It took me three attempts to (I think) successfully understand your post. Please learn how to use basic grammar, such as full stops and commas.
Quote by insanitybreed
Frank Zappa!

I agree. listen to both him and captain beefheart together, such as on the classic song Muffin Man.
I love my keyboardist, he's hot.

Quote by phlip999
The Pit is the epitome of higher learning and full of intillectual people who help the masses solve their problems.

The Llama Forum Bagel Group
Quote by therealtater
sorry my bad

I wasn't gonna say anything, but I spent about 2 minutes trying to google 'Pandora Radio Type'
haha thanks everyone!
My DeviantArt

Gear;

Vox AC50CPH
Framus FR 212 CB
Ibanez AF105
Ibanez RGT32FMSP
Line 6 DL4

If you have a camera or photography related question, i can help.

Quote by TooFast
I'd fuck the shit out of that dude.
The Flaming Lips might be right up your alley.

If you're interested in math rock-esque stuff (which you might like) try Foals or Battles.

No clue if you'll enjoy them, but here's a couple other bands that I recommend:
The Klaxons
LCD Soundsystem
Radiohead (if you don't already listen to them, you should)
The Shins
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
Sun City Girls, Big Black, Black Dice, Animal Collective, Deerhoof.
12 fret fury
Quote by Punk Poser
Sun City Girls, Big Black, Black Dice, Animal Collective, Deerhoof.

What he said.

Try some Black Moth Super Rainbow too. Trippy stuff.
Quote by goldmember1217
Try some Black Moth Super Rainbow too. Trippy stuff.

Yes, completely forgot that.
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
One of the only bands i've found similar to The Mars Volta is the band Sound of Animals Fighting. There are only a few similarities though.
Zechs Marquise, At the Drive-in (both feature current tmv-members)
Super Furry Animals, Comets on Fire.
And what is more, there's been a bloody purple nose and some bloody purple clothes that were messing up the lobby floor. It's just apartment house rules so all you 'partment fools remember : one man's ceiling is another man's floor.
Quote by RabidBeaver
One of the only bands i've found similar to The Mars Volta is the band Sound of Animals Fighting. There are only a few similarities though.

Oh man, I can't believe I forgot about these guys, one of my faves and one of the most "out-there" bands I've heard. TS, you need to check out The Sound of Animals Fighting.

http://www.myspace.com/thesoundofanimalsfighting

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Uz1iR0nJzdE&feature=related

For that youtube video I recommend you don't watch it while you listen, its some fan-made lameness. All the songs on their myspace (except the Evol remix) and the song on youtube I gave are all off their newest album. I suggest you seek out their second album Lover, The Lord has Left Us, that one is really out there.
The new Sound of Animals Fighting album "The Ocean and The Sun" is i think their best
Quote by RabidBeaver
The new Sound of Animals Fighting album "The Ocean and The Sun" is i think their best

Lover and TOatS are tied at #1 for me. Sonically, Lover is really fucked up, which is what attracted me to TSOAF in the first place. Tiger and the Duke is a little weird in a not too great way imo, I can't really take the screaming on that album.
Comets On Fire.
My all gold grills give her cold chills
Said she gotta coke feel cuz I'm sooo trill.
Gang Gang Dance
Ween
Parts & Labor
Can
Caribou
Excepter

i'm unsure if i am actually being helpful...
FIRST, please tell me that you are already listening to The Velvet Underground. If not, check out VU + Nico and White Light/White Heat NOW.

also...

My Bloody Valentine -- Loveless
Public Image, Ltd. -- Second Edition (a.k.a. Metal Box)

and if you're feeling particularly out of your mind: James Chance + The Contortions -- Buy
i am member no. 3 of the 'coheed and cambria fan club' interested? pm CoheedANDnofx6.

"I'm against picketing, but I don't know how to show it"
-Mitch Hedberg
Quote by jessplays
Man Man!

They actually played a show at my school with Grizzly Bear, but I left before Man Man's set began...but anyway, Battles (as recommended by someone earlier) is good if you want something interesting and a bit challenging. Being a drummer first and foremost, I was floored by Stanier's work on Mirrored. I knew from Helmet that he was a good drummer, but I had no idea he could be that precise and complex.

And if your ears can take it, the Irony Is A Dead Scene EP by Dillinger Escape Plan (with Mike Patton) is amazing. You mentioned Mr. Bungle earlier, so you might want to check it out.
Greedyfeedr another one of those random myspace gems. i bought both their albums after half an hour of listenin to the myspace.

www.myspace.com/greedyfeedr

maybe Papier Tigre www.myspace.com/papiertigre
If I had something interesting to say, something to advertise or maybe a quote of someone referencing me in a positive light, it would go here. Yes it would.
Close to the Edge by Yes seems like something a Mars Volta fan would like.
Kid A by Radiohead is pretty "out there".

Boredoms is about as "out there" as you can get.

Sonic Youth, The Velvet Underground, My Bloody Valentine, and Animal Collective are all must-hears.
tera melos, the fall of troy, minus the bear, i agree with the radiohead's kid a and deerhunter, you might consider modest mouse too if you havent tried them out. also check out portugal the man if you like some of these.