So I have this old lefty BC Rich warlock, platinum edition. I bought it about 7 years ago and hadn't played it since I got a new ibanez 2 years ago. That said, I still loved the little bugger, even though it sounded like crap, and I decided rather than sell it for a fraction of it's sentimental value, I'd fix it up. It was the standard black warlock, with black covered bc rich humbuckers and a strat style trem. Re-painted it in a style that i havent seen on a guitar before and switched the pickups for a set of Giovanni P-90's from axesrus.co.uk, which I split. Controls are 2 push/pull vol pots which control the split,and a master tone. Finished by brushing on poly, after leaving for about 2 weeks. Haven't gotten to buff it yet, as I don't have a buffer, but it has been sanded to 4000 grit, so I can live without the buffing for the time being.

Now for the pics:

Here it is mostly sanded

A close-up of the grain:

Fully sanded:

Outline of paint job:

Yellow layer done:

Sunrise burst
FINISHED!!!!!

Considering this was my first ever customsing job i'm quite roud of how it turned out. The main problems are to do with the fact that the sanding wasn't level in all places,so there are a few areas where I sanded over the wood that wasn't level and the finsh got a bit messed up. It sounds amazing now, the pickups really surprised me, since they cost about £40 for the set. The guitar gives a really nice early zeppelin tone now when in humbucker mode, and as single coils they really ring out and sing.

Cheers for taking the time to check this out, any comments are welcome

Last edited by irishman at Jan 8, 2009,
That's pretty well done. The colours compliment each other very well and the burst is very even. Though I do think it'd look a bunch better if you had split it into more rays...
That looks amazing! If it was my guitar I would have done the wood bits a different colour, possibly black, but it still looks great
Cheers for the input lads.

To pikka:
yeah that's something I defintely thought about, but I decided that if i did 4 beams of each it would look too symmetric, and anything more than that would be a pain in the ass to do the outline with tape, also then the beams would be too narrow, that's what i though anyway

To dan:
I thought of that after it was done, but I wasn't too sure what colour would suit it best (I considered a white to sky-blue burst from top to bottom), but I really wanted a natural colour, I was basically trying to get it as far from the br00talz look that it used to have when pure black
That looks insane! Yeah if I had to choose another colour scheme, it would definitely be white to a sky burst. I've always liked that colour but this burst is crazy too! Nice job.
How old is that Warlock anyways. The Hardware looks ancient.
Hearing about a pair of great boobs is like hearing about a really cool bug or lizard as a kid and you just gotta see it.
Quote by Unherolike
How old is that Warlock anyways. The Hardware looks ancient.

bought it new back in 2001. yeah it's been unloved for a while, the pickups, pots and any wiring inside are new, everything else is stock.
I have the same guitar that I have disassembled to freshen up a bit. I was actually thinking of dying it green. Seeing your's I may just do that now. I wasn't so sure how the wood would look in those era platinum warlocks.
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.
A Warlock...that doesn't look like ass...I don't know what to believe anymore >.>
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
Quote by nebiru
I have the same guitar that I have disassembled to freshen up a bit. I was actually thinking of dying it green. Seeing your's I may just do that now. I wasn't so sure how the wood would look in those era platinum warlocks.

i know what you mean man, i was convinced that when i sanded it down it would be made of plywood or something!
! It looks well doss in natural - I don't know why BCRich bother painting it
Damn, thats well done, kudos on the job

Quote by Kurapica
A Warlock...that doesn't look like ass...I don't know what to believe anymore >.>

QFT
how did you do the finish it looks awesome!!!
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Antisocial Behaviour Order. A chav's equivalent of GCSEs.
Quote by rancidryan
how did you do the finish it looks awesome!!!

cheers man. i got these wood stains from stewmac (lemon yellow, vintage amber, and cherry red). According to the label, you can dilute them with either water or alcohol. Diluted the yellow with water and applied it with a sponge cloth. Did 3 coats to ensure that I didn't miss any spots. For the amber and red, I diluted with alcohol, cos I read that you can't spray water based dyes, don't ask me why, but that's what I was told in the finishing thread. Then I basically sprayed them on using a sprayer i bought for €20 on ebay. Started the amber a bit out from the middle, then sprayed the red further still. I didn't do multiple coats of these two, in case I missed the point where a was blending them and it turned out a bit stupid looking, but I did make sure that the wood was saturated with the dye before leaving to dry, as some parts seemed to soak it up better than others.