So i'm thinking about putting an sh-13 in the neck of my db razorback and an sh-8 in the bridge will this configuration give me the metal sound that I seek brutal blackened death metal?
SH-8 is Invader right?
Well it's the most brutal Passive pickup that I know.
I play punk with it tho.
1. You're surfing the internet.
2. You're browsing through the UG forums.
3. You're reading now.
5. You didn't notice that there was no #4.
6. You just checked it.
7. Now you're having a lil smile.

Quote by hawk_kst
You Sir, have the best signature like ever!
Quote by Kozlic
SH-8 is Invader right?
Well it's the most brutal Passive pickup that I know.
I play punk with it tho.

Yeah sh-8 is the invader and i'm thinking about putting my sh-13 dimebucker in the neck one combination eh for brutality
Quote by forsaknazrael
That's a pretty awful combination. Both of those pickups are terrible.

What's your current amp?
75 watt Peavey vypyr using krank channel
Quote by forsaknazrael
And why isn't that good enough?

I really don't think your pickups even come much into play, considering it's a modeling amp.

Which Razorback model do you have?
I have the Db Razorback
Heh. Why do people buy that?
Gear
Fender Thinline Telecaster Deluxe

1983 Aria Pro II XX Deluxe Flying V

2007 S101 EGU34

1963 Kay Vanguard

1964 Kay Vanguard

AXL Badwater SRO

Hondo Strat

1974 Acoustic(brand) 134 4x10 combo

Epiphone Valve Jr.
Ah, so that's actually the model name. Sorry, I'm not that familiar with Dean guitars.

Well, the humbuckers in there are just some "Dean-designed" ones...But I can't say a pickup swap will make all that much of a difference.

I can tell you that a high output pickup in the neck is a horrible idea, gonna end up with muddy tones there. I mean, you'll notice the increase in output, but will they sound better? I doubt it. Plus, like I said, those pickups are awful.
Quote by forsaknazrael
Ah, so that's actually the model name. Sorry, I'm not that familiar with Dean guitars.

Well, the humbuckers in there are just some "Dean-designed" ones...But I can't say a pickup swap will make all that much of a difference.

I can tell you that a high output pickup in the neck is a horrible idea, gonna end up with muddy tones there. I mean, you'll notice the increase in output, but will they sound better? I doubt it. Plus, like I said, those pickups are awful.

Az, you'd be surprised. a JB sounds very different through that amp than an Alnico classic.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by forsaknazrael
NO, no...I'm talking about when you're doing the uber high gain metal thing. How discernable would that be, with different pickups?
Thanks for your advice however Dime himself used krank amp and the dimebucker as well as alot of gain my friend
Quote by KHAOSICON
Thanks for your advice however Dime himself used krank amp and the dimebucker as well as alot of gain my friend

Actually Dime never used the dimebucker, he used Bill Lawrence (sp?) pickups.
Quote by KHAOSICON

As said, he didn't use the Dimebucker.

Furthermore, it was only late in hsi career he used Krank. Before that, it was Randall. All the songs you probably like were recorded during the Randall years.

Also, two things to note:
- I never said a Krank + a lot of gain was bad. I've heard some good metal tons from Kranks.
- You're not playing a Krank. You're playing a Vypyr. An amp model on a bedroom practice amp doesn't react like the real deal tube amp.
Quote by forsaknazrael
NO, no...I'm talking about when you're doing the uber high gain metal thing. How discernable would that be, with different pickups?

Still, I'd know. I tried a C-1 Classic and an Epi LP standard thru it and they were quite different on metal settings. I especially like the 6505 and DZL models for metal.
Try not using a Krank model, I find it to not have enough gain. Try the 6505 and the Rec settings, and maybe the JSX which has surprisingly enough good metal tone.
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Hm, alright. I'll take your word for it. Still don't think the Invader and Dimebucker are a good idea. I'd rather stick a pair of Dimarzio Breeds or something in it.

And what's so surprising about the JSX? That's the amp me and my friend plug in whenever we're testing a guitar at GC for its metal-ness. I can dial in some GREAT metal tones on it.
Quote by forsaknazrael
Hm, alright. I'll take your word for it. Still don't think the Invader and Dimebucker are a good idea. I'd rather stick a pair of Dimarzio Breeds or something in it.

And what's so surprising about the JSX? That's the amp me and my friend plug in whenever we're testing a guitar at GC for its metal-ness. I can dial in some GREAT metal tones on it.

It never seemed like a metal amp to me honestly. I'll agree, DB and Invader suck. Breeds might be good, maybe a Duncan SH-6 (Distortion, JB with gigantic ceramic mag) with a Full Shred neck.
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
Quote by forsaknazrael
I'll takea picture of our settings next time, or something. Dial it in for yourself..

that's cool if it's a good brutal sound I may use it obtw for a bedroom practice amp my drummer whom has an 8 piece drum kit wines like a little bitch about how it's too loud and the other guitar player with one of those crap mgdfx 100 half stacks the 75 gives it a run for its money lol but anyway im gonna check out those sh-6 mayhems
They're not Mayhems, they're Duncan Distortions.
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden