The overall sound
Gear:

Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Traynor YCV40 Custom Valve Combo Amp
Crybaby GCB-95 Wah
Boss DD-3 Digital Delay
Digitech RP-50
The Look.

Because I can Find good tone and I don't really care about the neck.
Quote by ThisILove
The overall sound

yes indeed.
Quote by horny_cactus
Who's Rick Roll? Sorry for my ignorance I just joined this forum so I don't yet Know that member.
The neck a nice thin but curved fret board is just epic and so hard to come by.

Bodacious Bob

Schecter Omen 7 Extreme
Ibanez RGR08LTD BK
Behringer TU-100
EHX Metal Muff
Boss MT-2
GLX EQ-100
Marshall VS15

Quote by tpot06
Bodacious bob wins all.
The tone. As has been proved by the Parker Fly, a guitar can look like absolute **** and still be amazing if it has good tone and resonable playability.
Quote by griffRG7321
become a circumsizer, you get like £60,000 a year + tips.

Quote by Flying Couch
Because I'm not aerodynamic. All the other airborne furniture laugh at me.

LIKE PORTISHEAD?
playability and weight
G&L Tribute S-500 -> Ernie Ball VP -> Boss SD-1 -> Fulltone OCD -> Small Stone Phaser -> Danelectro Cool Cat Tremolo -> Boss DD-3 -> Boss RE-20 -> TC Electronic Hall of Reverb -> Boss RC-2 -------> Modded Crate v18 Amp

www.wearewerebear.com
The intangibles which make that one guitar different from the next. IMO a neck, body shape, pups, etc can all be adjusted too but just the "feel" of a guitar is what really makes it what it is.
Playability. and the neck.

I hate playing the guitars with glossy necks (like some LPs), but i love guitars with necks that are plain, smooth wood, or like a satin-ish paint coating (such as mah silver esp/ltd ax-50)
the Neck
Everything else, pickups and wood(to a degree) isnt as important in the whole scream of things
Quote by Patty-cakez
satin-ish paint coating

Like a matte finish?

For me it's the playability, which includes the neck, construction quality, finish quality and the shape/weight of the body (so long as I can get my arm around it and it's not breaking my back, I can play).

The reason I choose this over tone is that once my technique is good and once I'm comfortable on a guitar, it sounds a lot better than poor technique on a great guitar.
Jackson Kelly KE3 w/P-Rails; Aria Pro II TSB-350
• ZVex Fuzz Factory; DigiTech Whammy; Danelectro Fish & Chips; Marshall ED1; Fulltone OCD; DigiTech Whammy; Marshall JMP1; Boss CE3; Vox AC4TV

EMU 0404; Reason/Record; M-Audio AV40
Quote by ThisILove
The overall sound

+1
1. You're surfing the internet.
2. You're browsing through the UG forums.
3. You're reading now.
5. You didn't notice that there was no #4.
6. You just checked it.
7. Now you're having a lil smile.

Quote by hawk_kst
You Sir, have the best signature like ever!
Neck, weight, and bridge. I can't stand large, wide necks. I have a bad back so I can't have some monstrosity with me on stage. I'm far too particular about the bridges I will use. I pretty much stick to TOM bridges, but I'm good with Kahler trems, too. I try not to care too much about the look of my guitar, but I can't stand bursts that aren't blue/silver, and the standard strat look just bores the **** out of me.
I can live with bad pickups and things like that, they can be replaced, but it doesn't matter how it sounds if I can't play it or it's uncomfortable for me.
We've drained full confession booths, polluted drinking wells with our repentances, and then stood grinning with our arms around the shoulder of a rotting child.

If you resist change, you will be here forever.
The neck, the weight, and playability.
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Crate V33 212 Combo
DigiTech Whammy IV
Dunlop Crybaby
MXR Classic Distortion
Ibanez DE-7 Delay
Boss GE-7 Equalizer

Tone. As long as it isn't something like a B.C. Rich Warlock or something I'm fine with most body shapes, and I generally prefer bolt-ons, so I can swap the neck later. The tone can be augmented with new pickups, but the combination of wood and pickup type will always have a certain sound though.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 3-3
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 52-39
The overall character of the guitar. Tough to describe as it means different things to different people, some call it mojo...whichever. Its that one guitar that says something to you when you pick it up and you feel a connection. There could be 20 Strats lined up on the wall, yet that one catches your eye and its perfect in every way when you pick it up and play it. Thats what I look for.
2003 Music Man Axis Pacific Blue Burst
I'm one picky bastard, everything matters to me.

I'm so picky, I have to order a custom guitar to get it right, because I require a guitar that I find beautiful, an original Floyd Rose, EMGs, and a Wizard neck. And left handedness.
7-String Legion
Quote by TheJem
Justice4AllOne pretty much mentioned all of my ideas so yeah...pointless pun post.

Quote by MightySumo
Thanks fer settin me straight on that Justice

Quote by oneblackened
I was thinking that too, Justice usually seems like a pretty knowledgeable guy.
Last edited by Justice4AllOne at Dec 28, 2008,
Quote by Justice4AllOne
I'm one picky bastard, everything matters to me.

I'm so picky, I have to order a custom guitar to get it right, because I require a guitar that I find beautiful, an original Floyd Rose, EMGs, and a Wizard neck.

Geez, you are a picky bastard.

I'm mainly concerned about the neck/feel. Pickups and such can be changed, hard to change the neck unless it's a bolt-on.
Quote by -Blue-
Geez, you are a picky bastard.

I could just go buy one if I were right handed. It's a lot harder to shop for guitars, being a lefty.
7-String Legion
Quote by TheJem
Justice4AllOne pretty much mentioned all of my ideas so yeah...pointless pun post.

Quote by MightySumo
Thanks fer settin me straight on that Justice

Quote by oneblackened
I was thinking that too, Justice usually seems like a pretty knowledgeable guy.
Quote by Oujou
The Look.

Because I can Find good tone and I don't really care about the neck.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Oh, man, that's the dumbest **** I've ever heard. How about you get a piece of ****, but good looking Plywood guitar form Walmart, with the ****tiest pickups known to man kind, and a terribly finished, incredibly wide and thick neck made out of Eucalyptus, and then find me a great tone out of your piece of **** Marshall MG?
Quote by satchgear
I tried it out in store.

Great neck, nice n light, good tuning stability. Overall a good guitar. I didn't but it cause I generally only buy guitars over a grand now.
Quote by DSOTM80
Stop with the MG bandwagon bs

I don't hate MG's, it's just the fact that he says that he can get a good tone out of any guitar with an MG. Utter bullcrap, because the MG has way too much midrange, horrid bass, and the tops sound fizzy and tin-can like. Okay, it's a fine first amp, I wouldn't complain if I got one instead of my Epiphone 10S, but the fact that he says he can get a good tone out of any guitar with a bad sounding practice amp is completely wrong.
Quote by satchgear
I tried it out in store.

Great neck, nice n light, good tuning stability. Overall a good guitar. I didn't but it cause I generally only buy guitars over a grand now.
Quote by V.U.K
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Oh, man, that's the dumbest **** I've ever heard. How about you get a piece of ****, but good looking Plywood guitar form Walmart, with the ****tiest pickups known to man kind, and a terribly finished, incredibly wide and thick neck made out of Eucalyptus, and then find me a great tone out of your piece of **** Marshall MG?

How about YOU calm down?
Jackson Kelly KE3 w/P-Rails; Aria Pro II TSB-350
• ZVex Fuzz Factory; DigiTech Whammy; Danelectro Fish & Chips; Marshall ED1; Fulltone OCD; DigiTech Whammy; Marshall JMP1; Boss CE3; Vox AC4TV

EMU 0404; Reason/Record; M-Audio AV40
I see a guitar, first thing I do is check the looks.
If I like it I play, if the action is to high, fudge it.
If it's ok, I play.
A well put together guitar with a well made neck and fretjob can always be made to sound and play well with a proper set up and new pickups.
Quote by V.U.K
I don't hate MG's, it's just the fact that he says that he can get a good tone out of any guitar with an MG. Utter bullcrap, because the MG has way too much midrange, horrid bass, and the tops sound fizzy and tin-can like. Okay, it's a fine first amp, I wouldn't complain if I got one instead of my Epiphone 10S, but the fact that he says he can get a good tone out of any guitar with a bad sounding practice amp is completely wrong.

Maybe, maybe he was just being sarcastic to see who he can get a rise out of. Personally, its all in the fingers http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9uH5rP159UI
2003 Music Man Axis Pacific Blue Burst
Thickness of the neck, neck finish, FB radius, Pickups, wood and its quality, tuning stability, hardware, and a good setup. This is why I love schecter.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
The look.

I go with what I think is sexy. You can always change the pickups if you don't like the sound, but it would be pretty hard to turn your guitar into a totally different one.

As for the neck and wood, the guitars I would buy aren't made of bad wood and wouldn't have a neck I don't like. If I want an SG, of course I would get a G-400 or a Standard rather than ****ty SG copy from Walmart.
Quote by user_nameless
You can go ahead and sponge my bob.

/notfunnyatalljoke.

Quote by halo43
When you date a vegetarian, you're the only meat they'll ever eat.
Last edited by tmfiore at Dec 28, 2008,
Page 1 of 2