I've recently purchased a peavey classic30 combo and I am using a tubescreamer as a boost and it gets a nice saturated metal distortion for riffs and such but the chords (mostly power chords ) sound messy. Will a noise gate pedal (most likely the boss ns-2) help with making the chords sound good? Or would a distortion pedal, such as a seymour duncan twin tune mayhem or metal muff be better?
Gear:
Fender Highway One HSS Strat
Art & Lutherie Cedar Acoustic
Line6 UX2
No amp ... Help me find an amp
you dont want to be using a distortion pedal at all. it will spoil your tube tone and if you use if over an overdriven amp you may destroy a small country

a noise gate will just eliminate hum hiss and feedback.

have you tried setting your TS9 like this?

volume: 10
gain:<1.5
tone: to taste

otherwise i'd be inclined to look at an EQ to tighten things up
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
yeah, if i got a distortion pedal I'd use it on the clean channel...but I guess I won't be.

Hmmmm, an EQ might work, I guess I'll just have to play it a bit more to see if its just extra noise thats making it messy, and if not then I guess I could look into an eq.

Does anyone on here actually use it for heavier sounds regularly?

P.S. My guitar also isn't really tuned well as I lost my tuner, so that could be a problem. lol
Gear:
Line6 UX2
Quote by mrxtreme_4
yeah, if i got a distortion pedal I'd use it on the clean channel...but I guess I won't be.

Hmmmm, an EQ might work, I guess I'll just have to play it a bit more to see if its just extra noise thats making it messy, and if not then I guess I could look into an eq.

Does anyone on here actually use it for heavier sounds regularly?

P.S. My guitar also isn't really tuned well as I lost my tuner, so that could be a problem. lol

WAT

get that sorted ASAP. there are sound clips all over the intertubes

make sure youre playing nice and loud too.

be aware that the peavey doesnt have optimal voicing for metal to start with.

a new humbucker for your strat may well be the way forward
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
well, technically I don't play metal... It's more like post-hardcore. Saosin, Underoath, Secret and Whisper.

I think the peavey can do it, it just needs a little help.
Gear:
Line6 UX2
nobody uses a classic 30 for highish gain?
Gear:
Line6 UX2