Sitting here listening to Protest The Hero, and i cant help but notice certain parts of their songs have a particularly "anthemic" feel to them.

Now, i am aware that writing a catchy chorus is a skill that takes a very special kinda person to pull off, but im more interested right now in what makes these moments "feel" the way they do.

For reference:

Wretch - PTH (1:13-1:27)

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=-WupES7LHZU

Turn Soonest To The Sea - PTH

(couldnt find a vid, but for those who can find it, its the ending repeat to fade)

EDIT: 'nother good example is Acid Nation by Enter Shikari, during the chorus.
Last edited by Tallman at Dec 28, 2008,
sounds like a chord progression using power chords... pretty commonly used by many bands for a break down, scorpions have been using licks in that style for decades now. its so catchy because the chords are resolving exactly how they should, the notes are what your ear expects...

so to do this on your own, you will need basic chord knowledge, you can just use the powerchords the song uses but use just the note to begin with, it should still have that nice resolve in your ear.

Im sorry i don't know exactly what the notes are, my first time hearing it
catchy chorus doesn't take that much skill as u imply.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
sounds like bassline and the root of the powerchords are descending the major scale.

Did you want information, or to just suggest some good music?
Quote by xxdarrenxx
catchy chorus doesn't take that much skill as u imply.

Then help, you wazzock.

First of all, to create that anthemic feel, you have to create the feel of a strong change into the chorus.

Listen to the change of drum feel, and the way the guitars suddenly create a lot more space for the vocal melody to come through. The melody is obviously sung rather than screamed or growled, with strong tonal harmony underneath.

Probably the main things to do are change the drum feel (usually to half time feel, that'll do the business) and use a strong keychange.

For an anthemic chorus, the material in the rest of the song is just as important. In that PTH song, that section stands out strongly because the rest of the material has been fairly busy and syncopated/odd time.
Quote by Freepower
Then help, you wazzock.

Sorry, I wrote that when I just came out of bed

No rules, but basic guidelines that work.
Something that has potential catch

- easy singable tune,
- something that gets repeated alot on Mtv or radio so it gets stuck in ur head.
- something around 125 bpm
- syncopation or no syncopation at all. *this may sound weird, but sometimes if ur rhythm is just straight 8th or 16ths it gets in ur brain too.

It's a bit doublesided. You can't write a tune and it's instant catchy, cause catchy is something that develops from constant subconscious hearing of a song.

Example: Hearing the song in the mall, when you go out, at school, on tv, on the radio, bought the cd etc.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Last edited by xxdarrenxx at Dec 29, 2008,
Quote by Freepower
Then help, you wazzock.
What does wazzock mean? I only ask because it sounds like a fun thing to call somebody. hehe. Sorry, off topic.
Gear:
Inflatable Guitar
Digitech GSP 2101/Mosvalve 962/Yamaha S412V
My Imagination