i dont have that much money and would like to save as much as possible for a half stack. the question is that idk if i actually need a tube amp. i will be playing decent sized shows and im wondering if i should really save up for a tube amp. i know that tubes are supposed to sound a hell of a lot better than solid states, but is it really that noticeable?

Randall RX120RHS Guitar Amplifier Half Stack

http://www.samash.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_RX120RHS%20Guitar%20Amplifier%20Half%20Stack_-1_10052_10002_-49960099_cmCategorySA182734

- or one of these heads and then buying a cheap cab

Randall RH150G3PLUS Guitar Amplifier Head

http://www.samash.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_RH150G3PLUS%20Guitar%20Amplifier%20Head_-1_10052_10002_-49956490_cmCategorySA182891

Randall RH50T Guitar Amplifier Head

http://www.samash.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_RH50T%20Guitar%20Amplifier%20Head_-1_10052_10002_-49969714_cmCategorySA182891
Gear:
Schecter Synyster Custom
Schecter C-1 Elite
Crate GFX65
Korg Toneworks AX1500G pedal board
Morley Wah pedal
IMO:

you do need a tube amp (yes, they sound that much better)

but you dont need a stack, you get much better value in combos, although some amps are only available in head form

whats your budget?
can you buy used gear?
where are you?
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
inb4getac0mb0.

Personally I would go for the RH50T with a cheap cab or maybe the RG150.

And to answer your second question, at low volumes there isn't a huge difference between tube and SS. It's only when you crank them.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
Quote by shadow__666
inb4getac0mb0.

owned by me
Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
owned by me

+1

/thread
Rip Kylee Harris 4.13.93-11.28.08
Quote by Capt_Clarkson
tell him that he is the drummer and that his opinions are invalid

Quote by Jim Harkins
I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather. Not screaming in terror like his passengers.

Damn broken wrist making it impossible to type two handed.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
my budget probably wont go any higher than around $800 including a cab. i was also looking into those hybrid combo amps. and looking for used gear is probably in my favor because i dont really have a lot of money right now and need a good amp within a few months.
Gear:
Schecter Synyster Custom
Schecter C-1 Elite
Crate GFX65
Morley Wah pedal
Quote by metalzrulez
my budget probably wont go any higher than around $800 including a cab. i was also looking into those hybrid combo amps. and looking for used gear is probably in my favor because i dont really have a lot of money right now and need a good amp within a few months.

ok this is a slight stab in the dark because im not too hot on US pricing

the mesa F series combos are super popular round here

Peavey 6505/5150 combos are aweseme too

you should be able to pick up an engl thunder or screamer combo for 800 used

all of those will provide the volume and tone you want. and you wont grow out of them in a year
Quote by metalzrulez

i'd love for you to go with a head + cab setup, but with $800 you can get an awesome used combo instead of a mediocre head + cheap cab.

+8 to stevo
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
you should probably change the thread name to buying a tube (half stack?)

/lame joke

with 800 USD, you could probably get a nice tube combo. what bands' sound are you aiming for?
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
generic metal with good distortion/some type of overdrive
Gear:
Schecter Synyster Custom
Schecter C-1 Elite
Crate GFX65
Morley Wah pedal
For metal there isn't really anything in tube form you can get for that price although a used Peavey 6505/5150 would do it. Look at used gear. If you're looking to buy a half stack then I'm guessing you want to play in a loud band. If so, you probably want to impress the people you're playing for. Tubes are necessary for this.

Possibly a Bugera?
Last edited by TubeAmpGuy at Dec 29, 2008,
Do not get the RX120RHS. Its nothing but a big practice amp.
1990 Gibson SG Special Black
2003 Martin Hd-28
Fender Standard Telecaster Chrome Red
Randall RX120RH On RX412 SOLD!!
Fender Pro Jr. Combo
Keeley Modded Boss DS-1
Electro Harmonics Metal Muff
Ernie Ball Vp Jr.