i have a cheap (possibly homemade) guitar that i got from a charity shop for £20 ($30) i came a little stringless and it was only after putting strings on that i found out how far the nut was out.

is it easy to cut new grooves into a nut without running into the old ones?
are nuts easy to change on guitars or would i need it done properly?
would it end up costing more than i paid for the guitar in the first place?

cheers
The only 6 words that can make you a better guitarist:

Learn theory
Practice better
Practice more
i'd say it'd be £20 for a pro to put a new nut on

i'd get one from www.axesrus.com and have a bash. although you may need nut files if the new nut isnt right, but thats pretty unlikely i'd say
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
I think this is the perfect time for a learning experience. Buy a bone nut blank for $5-10 dollars, a bit of rough sandpaper and a very fine saw.
Survivor of the St. John's Lockdown
Quote by SG thrasher

The thread-starter is a legend.
Seriously, who thinks "Shit, i'm gonna die, BRB, Ima' tell UG."?

Quote by The_Paranoia

Congratz man, you are a true, American Hero.
Go Schneiderman!

Gun Facts: Educate Yourself
Replacing a nut?...

If you are just going for cosmetics, it'll run you about 6 Gs from the plastic surgeon.

But if you want that baby up and running again you're going to have to pay out of the ass. I'm not even sure if they have the technology to do that yet.
My gear:
PRS SE custom
~!~--Peavey XXX super 40 EFX --~!~
Peavey VK 112

===WGS Vet30
===JJ power tubes

---Pedals:
-ISP Decimator
-Digitech Bad Monkey
-Crybaby wah
-Korg Pitchblack
-Danelectro FnC EQ
Quote by DaddyBarbs
Replacing a nut?...

If you are just going for cosmetics, it'll run you about 6 Gs from the plastic surgeon.

But if you want that baby up and running again you're going to have to pay out of the ass. I'm not even sure if they have the technology to do that yet.

LMAO!
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Crate V33 212 Combo
DigiTech Whammy IV
Dunlop Crybaby
MXR Classic Distortion
Ibanez DE-7 Delay
Boss GE-7 Equalizer

If you do a nut yourself, make sure you cut the grooves properly and evenly in a v shape.... otherwise you`ll get a bunch of rattling... I found out the hard way.
Quote by DaddyBarbs
Replacing a nut?...

ha ha ha!
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(") This is bunny. Copy him into your signature to help him acheive world dominance.