Well...a black les paul body and neck, but that's not the point. I've got a budget of about 200 bucks and I wanna throw in some better humbuckers then provided. Also, does anyone know what the best 500K Pots I can get are?Not push pull, just regular pots.

Thank you =D
They don't? Maybe people just over exaggerate stuff to get you to buy stuff like that.

Also, I have another question. Has anyone (who is reading) gone to guitar center and actually had them do work on your guitar?I wanna swap out the inlays on the neck I have with trapezoids, i wanna put a new nut in, and i wanna put my last name on the head stock and I'm not sure how to do any of it.
All doable yourself, although the inlay thing would require massive amounts of skill, and for the price anyone will charge you it's never worth it.

As for the nut, you can do that yourself.

And you want your name in the headstock? You'd have to sand it down and refinish.
Gear
Fender Thinline Telecaster Deluxe

1983 Aria Pro II XX Deluxe Flying V

2007 S101 EGU34

1963 Kay Vanguard

1964 Kay Vanguard

AXL Badwater SRO

Hondo Strat

1974 Acoustic(brand) 134 4x10 combo

Epiphone Valve Jr.
Well it's not finished yet. Is the nut really that easy?Casue I don't know how to etch the things into the nut itself. As for the frets, I can deal with the dots. I just wanted an authentic looking les paul with shiny frets lol.
Just go to a shop and try em till you find one that will fit. You will have to file most nuts so that they will fit anyway.
Gear

2007 S101 EGU34

1963 Kay Vanguard

1964 Kay Vanguard

AXL Badwater SRO

Hondo Strat

Epiphone Valve Jr.
No no, I meant filing the holes that the strings go into. I have no idea how to do that part. Don't I need special files?
I think most of the time they'll already be filed? Unless you go and get a straight up nut blank.
Gear

2007 S101 EGU34

1963 Kay Vanguard

1964 Kay Vanguard

AXL Badwater SRO

Hondo Strat

Epiphone Valve Jr.
I would go to a shop. Tell them you want a new nut. Then you can find one that fits.
Gear

2007 S101 EGU34

1963 Kay Vanguard

1964 Kay Vanguard

AXL Badwater SRO

Hondo Strat

Epiphone Valve Jr.
Perfect!

Awesome, so if I go to guitar center and tell them I'd like a new nut (maybe even show them the neck) could they grab me one, and install it?Or should I do it myself?
It will be a good learning experience to do it yourself. Knowing guitar center they will probably charge out the ass. Don't you have a good local shop or something that isn't GC?
Gear

2007 S101 EGU34

1963 Kay Vanguard

1964 Kay Vanguard

AXL Badwater SRO

Hondo Strat

Epiphone Valve Jr.
Quote by chuckflan333
It will be a good learning experience to do it yourself. Knowing guitar center they will probably charge out the ass. Don't you have a good local shop or something that isn't GC?

I do but they're actually worse then GC. A pick up swap there is about 100 bucks, a pick up swap at our gc is only 60. It's crazy.
Christ. That's a lot either way. You could do it yourself buying a soldering iron and some solder for $13 all together. Less maybe
Gear

2007 S101 EGU34

1963 Kay Vanguard

1964 Kay Vanguard

AXL Badwater SRO

Hondo Strat

Epiphone Valve Jr.
I actually got my iron there for 7.99 its a 30 watter. Some solder and a braid were $5 bucks all together.
Gear

2007 S101 EGU34

1963 Kay Vanguard

1964 Kay Vanguard

AXL Badwater SRO

Hondo Strat

Epiphone Valve Jr.
I still don't think anyone should ever pay to have pickups swapped. I would feel horrible running a shop.
Gear

2007 S101 EGU34

1963 Kay Vanguard

1964 Kay Vanguard

AXL Badwater SRO

Hondo Strat

Epiphone Valve Jr.
Quote by SGlover69
Well it's not finished yet. Is the nut really that easy?Casue I don't know how to etch the things into the nut itself. As for the frets, I can deal with the dots. I just wanted an authentic looking les paul with shiny frets lol.

if you look on ebay you can find stick on trapezoid inlays that are really good, they won't come off with play i've got stick on block inlays on my bass and they look real and you can hardly feel that they are there, it's a much cheaper alternative to ripping your fretboard apart
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
Quote by skater dan0
if you look on ebay you can find stick on trapezoid inlays that are really good, they won't come off with play i've got stick on block inlays on my bass and they look real and you can hardly feel that they are there, it's a much cheaper alternative to ripping your fretboard apart

I've heard so many people say that that's stupid because they can really wear and tear the neck. Do they feel like real frets?
Why shouldn't people pay for work chuck?

Also, using strings is a perfectly acceptable way to make string slots in your nut, as far as I know.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
Quote by SGlover69
I've heard so many people say that that's stupid because they can really wear and tear the neck. Do they feel like real frets?

see for yourself

it's not mine i don't have any pics of mine at the moment
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
well...I don't know..from your own experience, they feel like real frets?now just like tape?
i don't notice they are there to be totally honest. if you were to rub the fingerboard without any strings then you feel a slight lip but when you're playing you don't notice them. at least in my experience
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
Well the thing is. I play guitar with a lot of bends, and I'm afraid the stickers will just be torn off.
i'm not one for bending and bending bass strings on them would probably give a different result than bending a guitar string on them
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
well have you bent your strings on the frets?

Has it affected them very much?
Quote by Øttər
Why shouldn't people pay for work chuck?

Also, using strings is a perfectly acceptable way to make string slots in your nut, as far as I know.

Actually I meant that nobody should pay someone else to do it. I think everyone should learn how to do something so simple instead of paying $60 for someone to do practically nothing. That's why I said I'd feel horrible running a shop, because to make money I'd need to do simple things for more money than I feel someone should spend.

Yes?
Gear

2007 S101 EGU34

1963 Kay Vanguard

1964 Kay Vanguard

AXL Badwater SRO

Hondo Strat

Epiphone Valve Jr.
Custom logo tutorial can be found here:

http://www.projectguitar.com/tut/logo.htm

Painting headstock (with logo) here:

http://www.projectguitar.com/tut/phs.htm

Loads of nut info, here:

http://www.stewmac.com/freeinfo/Nuts,_saddles.html

You can buy a nut online, just measure the width of the nut (43mmish for LP? I forget) and the depth (body side to headstock side) and buy a pre-slotted nut if you're worried about slotting them. They aren't that more expensive (if at all). You can get them flat bottomed or rounded and then just file down to fit. They can be push-fit (most are nowadays I think) or glued in place. Glueing it makes it harder to remove later on obviously. Word of warning though, you get what you pay for in my experience

As for the inlays I'm currently re-doing 2 necks, 1 is a straight 6mm dot swap (cheap plastic to Abalone) and the other for mop blocks. I would advise against it!
Seriously though, if you can wait until your frets need replacing then it's worth it. In the meantime my advice would be to get some wood (maybe even offcuts of your fretboard wood?) and practice tracing the inlay on it and routing it out til you have it as close to perfect as you can.