I bought a set of these strings, and they are horrible. They sound like they have been used for years without getting changed, they are so dull. anyone else ever used these strings?

if you have did you like them?

what are strings similar to what come on a stock ibanez? (tone wise)

what are your favorite types of strings and where do you buy them?

also, do you know what the standard gauge is for bass?
What doesn't kill us, only makes us stronger

Bass: Ibanez Gsr200
Bass amp: Ibanez sw100 stack

Guitar: squier starter pack

never buy a squier!
I hated GHS bass boomers. Fans of them are pretty few and far between.

I'm not sure what comes on a stock Ibanez

My favourite strings right now are D'Addario chromes, but only because they're the first flatwounds I've tried. I'm sure I'll find a new favourite when I try more flats.

Standard gauge is .130 .105 .85 .65 .45 .30 (BEADGC). Generally. You can give or take .05 depending on the brand and how they label them (med. light, medium, heavy gauge etc.).
I have no idea what they come with stock, but I'm pretty sure .45 is standard gauge.
Schecter Stiletto Studio 5
Ibanez SRX2EX1
Gallien Krueger 1001rbii
Gallien Krueger Neo 410
i know they are terrible, i have to go to guitar center ghs strings suck

never buy a squier!
i quite like them, they make a welcome change from the harsh brightness of my usual rotos, i always keep a set of ghs boomers in my case as spares just in case
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
Quote by skater dan0
i quite like them, they make a welcome change from the harsh brightness of my usual rotos, i always keep a set of ghs boomers in my case as spares just in case

i guess its just opinion, but they are very dulll strings.

what other string do you like that arent dull?

never buy a squier!
like i said i'm a massive rotosound fan but on a jazz bass rotos can sound too harsh for some people and for some styles which is where boomers come into it for me.

i can make a list if you like

i like:
rotosound swing 66

i don't mind:
GHS Bass Boomers
Stadium Elites

I hate:
Fender strings
Ernie Ball Strings

I haven't tried:
the rest
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
i can not say i have had any experience with them. thanks for the warning too because i'm string shopping now
Quote by jazzbasskid
i can not say i have had any experience with them. thanks for the warning too because i'm string shopping now

buy rotosounds, they are the dog's bollocks. I'm not joking they take the best bollocks from the best dogs, witchcraft happens, and they come out as stainless steel bass strings
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I was looking at those but i also kind of want to try out some flatwounds. Any suggestions for those?
again rotosounds, their jazz bass 77's are flatwound and are the best flats i've ever played, they are all that go on my fretless
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
ok sweet, and just wondering what are the advantages of using flatwound versus regular(roundwound?)
flatwounds give a more mellow duller sound than roundwounds, it's a taste thing, i prefer roundwounds on my fretted basses, however steve harris of iron maiden prefers flatwounds on his p bass. both have their advantages and neither really have any disadvantage, it all comes down to taste
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
Quote by jazzbasskid
So if i want a more punchyer sound i should stick with roundwounds?

yeah it's probably better to stick to rounds for a punchy sound although don't let that deter you from flats entirely
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
Dude, I know EXACTLY how you feel. I had some Boomers, played them, and they pretty much died within ten minutes. They sounded like ass.

I saved up and bought some Rotosound Swing 66. They really make your bass seem brand new and worth more money when they're alive. Although the die quickly, they sound alright dead as well. (much better than the Boomers, that's for sure)
Iv had bommers for 1 year now and hate them and I busted th e string I just don't have money for new one

what strings have the best slap tone?
Last edited by nicf at Dec 28, 2008,
Rotos are a good all round string. Slap sounds quite good on them.

I tried GHS Boomers and hated them. They stayed on my bass for about a week before I donated them to the studio for the "spare string" drawer.
Are these the ones they sell at wallyworld? Ours doesn't have them, but I imagine I'd keep a set around as a spare like my guitarist friends do.
Nope, no sig here.
I don't know about the low end Ibanez's (Ibani?) but when you start getting abit more expensive I'm 99% sure they use Elixir strings.

Personally, I love the sound of Roundwound steels, DR in particular. Perfect Price-Sound-Longevity Ratio IMO.
The prog kid from way down under of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

GENERATION 7: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Ive never tried boomers but i did try a GHS string called powerwound? or something like that. It was like a halfround. They had some good mellowed out tones so just by judging the company, it sounds like you got a bad pack.
'85 Fender Reissue '75 Jazz Bass ---> Ashdown MAG300h
Schecter C/SH-1 ---> Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
My bass is currently strung with GHS Boomers and although I like the heavy gauge they came in (115 E) they just go dead WAY too quickly and when they do they are absolutely dull and sound horrible.

Gibson Les Paul Traditional Satin
Fender 72' Thinline Telecaster
Fender Am Telecaster
Bad Cat HotCat 30R

Korg Pitchblack
Xotic BB Preamp
TC Flashback X4
Strymon Timeline
EHX POG 2
JHS Double Barrel
Quote by Nikki197666
I don't know about the low end Ibanez's (Ibani?) but when you start getting abit more expensive I'm 99% sure they use Elixir strings.

Personally, I love the sound of Roundwound steels, DR in particular. Perfect Price-Sound-Longevity Ratio IMO.

Yes, my Ibanez SR500 came with .45 gauge Elixir strings. You can check string gauge in the manuals online.
I dunno, I tried a set of Boomers way back on a cheap Yamaha we had in school... They sounded pretty ok brand new, but I can't give any info on how long they lasted, as I only played there once a week...
Maruszczyk Jake X Redburst
Woodo B5x Aboyna Burl
Ashdown MAG300H + Ashdown 1x15 (Eminence Delta 15)

Believing Carlos!
Quote by Lilldjuret
I dunno, I tried a set of Boomers way back on a cheap Yamaha we had in school... They sounded pretty ok brand new, but I can't give any info on how long they lasted, as I only played there once a week...

FOR HOW MANY WEEKS?
Quote by nicf
FOR HOW MANY WEEKS?

Uh... Caps? Well, for two years

But that's not relevant at all. Other people played there aswell.
Maruszczyk Jake X Redburst
Woodo B5x Aboyna Burl
Ashdown MAG300H + Ashdown 1x15 (Eminence Delta 15)

Believing Carlos!
I Love Boomers. They sound great dor what i play anyway. They give a nice deeo sound and just enough high and mids to hear them but it still sounds like a bass. I dont like earnie balls though. IMO they make my bass sound too much like a guitar, i hated them. And they broke easy
OMFG i tried those for a week or two, and they tore the fvck out of of my finger tips. worst strings ever =(
Quote by Azgirio
Yeah, you definitely raped his churches and burned his women.

Quote by LordBishek
Forgive the bluntness, but what in the chucklefucking hell is this?
everything ive read says they are good pick strings. Not so much fingers, but i use em for both. I Just cant feel my fingertips =]