Im learning to play "smells like teen spirit" and i can play the chords an all just not the palm muting part after the f powerchord. Exactly how do I palm mute? I know u put ur hands on the strings where it first comes out of the guitar but do i lightly put my hands there or press hard and do I need to do it with an amp(havent tried doing it with an amp yet)? Thanks in advance
the harder your press the "deader" the strings are gonna sound. You hear it better with an amp but im pretty sure its possible unplugged.
ok thanks. I dont press too hard but it makes a plucking sound with no tone without an amp. Brb gonna try it with the amp.
you need to rest your palm close to the bridge, but not pressed down all the way as to mute the strings.
Put your hand lightly over the strings, not hard enough that it'll fret it and make a musical pitch, but not loose enough it'll make an open note, then strum and..there you go. And yes, this is possible unplugged, Nirvana also does this constantly on their acoustic songs as well, just listen to their Unplugged performances

That's the left hand palm mute where the tabs will have an "x". Tabs that have a "." under (or sometimes over) the fret number means to rest your right palm on the bridge while you strum, but Smells Like Teen Spirit doesn't do that so you're all set
how hard you press down with your picking hand determines the amount of palm muting, as does where your hand is. if it's closer to the bridge and just barely touching the strings, it's going to be a light palm mute, but if you have the whole meat of your hand on the strings next to the bridge, but not touching the bridge, then the strings are gong to sound very choked.

muting with your left hand is just simply laying your fretting hand across the strings so that they are just laying on them, not actually fretting the notes. if you're not pressing down hard enough though, you may get a harmonic.

EDIT: blast, i've been beaten to the punch by others.
i just lay the end of my palm on the strings ( slightly off the bridge) and apply a VERY light downward pressure. Practice makes perfect, listen to the song and then give it a go and compare the sound. If you're doing it correctly you should know.
im pretty sure smells like teen spirit has no right hand palm mute. it should be with the left hand...
dude teen spirit isnt palm muting, you rake it by muting the strings with your fretting hand
My Rig
------------------
Schecter Damien 6 (mod with 81/85 emg)
Ibanez Xiphos
Peavey Vypyr Tube 120 <3
Digitech RP250 (for Sale)
Quote by Guitar Dream
Im learning to play "smells like teen spirit" and i can play the chords an all just not the palm muting part after the f powerchord. Exactly how do I palm mute? I know u put ur hands on the strings where it first comes out of the guitar but do i lightly put my hands there or press hard and do I need to do it with an amp(havent tried doing it with an amp yet)? Thanks in advance
put your palm over your mouth, and never learn that song

I am the King of Carrot Flowers

Quote by JessicaGonzo
im pretty sure smells like teen spirit has no right hand palm mute. it should be with the left hand...

Of course it has palm mutes...

Its right after the part with the sweep picking.
gear

Epiphone SG-400
Agile AL-3100
Schecter Damien-7 (EMG 707 swap)
Peavey JSX Head
Peavey 412 Cab
Boss GT-10
Yamaha FG720S Acoustic
Quote by Demonazzz
Of course it has palm mutes...

Its right after the part with the sweep picking.

I think he was making reference to the fact that Kurt was a lefty.