Y'know when rock bands do unplugged? Is there any bands that do that music all the time, pure acoustic, but sounds like common alternative rock?
Tenacious D FTW
Epiphone G-400
Yamaha Pacifica (Mod on hold due to procrastination)
Rocktron Banshee
Marshall 10CD

Quote by geetarguy13

I've never smoked before but it looks like fun.
i guess any band doing MTV unplugged. Nirvana and KoRn's were good
Epiphone G-400
Yamaha Pacifica (Mod on hold due to procrastination)
Rocktron Banshee
Marshall 10CD

Quote by geetarguy13

I've never smoked before but it looks like fun.
Quote by Cammeh
Yup, I got them, any others ?

I'm not sure if you are looking for popular bands. But, I'm the guitarist for Fighting For The Crown. We are an acoustic rock type band. If you would like to hear us, just click the link in my sig. We have yet to record, but you can hear our composition on our profile. Also if you decide to give it a listen, let me know what you think
I'm Luke.
Definitely check out Days of the New. They're not together anymore but they put out 3 all acoustic albums.
Also check out Godsmack's all acoustic album The Other Side.
some emo bands have some good acoustic stuff.. to bad the voice breakin vocals make my ears bleed.

but, my friends have sent me saosin.. thats all i know...
Quote by euphorictacos
Flight of the Conchords

Hiphopopotamus vs. Rhymenoceros FTW
Quote by Random Internet User
My fondness for people diminished each day I was a sysadmin. I changed careers and am now a mortician. These days I get fewer stupid questions from my clients.

:stickpoke
Another vote for Days of the New- good band!

However, y'all HAVE to check out Rodrigo y Gabriela - 2 mexican metalheads who decided to go 100% unplugged.

http://www.rodgab.com/
http://www.amazon.com/Rodrigo-y-Gabriela/dp/B000E6ETKM

While its not rock, Ritchie Blackmore has been playing largely acoustic with his "renfair" band, Blackmore's Night (with Candace Night).

Alex Skolnick of Testament fame also has a jazz combo- the Alex Skolnick Trio- which reinterprets metal songs as jazz, along with doing original tunes.
FWIW, Tantric features 3 of DotN's musicians, and are still primarily an acoustic rock band.
Quote by dannyalcatraz
FWIW, Tantric features 3 of DotN's musicians, and are still primarily an acoustic rock band.

Their first album was primarily acoustic. Their second and third were primarily recorded with electrics though. Most of their electric stuff still translates well to acoustic though.
Quote by Jeremiah1981
Hiphopopotamus vs. Rhymenoceros FTW
If your into it

I am the King of Carrot Flowers

Im suprised no one's said Marcy Playground. Download Sex and Candy, Ancient Wall of Flowers, Sherry Frazier, and Cloak of Elvenkind.
"The object of war is not to die for your country, it's to make the other bastard die for his" -General George S. Patton
Quote by BigFatSandwich
violent femmes!

Only good suggestion in the thread IMO.

By the way, this thread should probably be in Bands and Artists.
Just thought of another one. Though most would describe them as pop or even emo, Dashboard Confessional's first, second and fifth albums are entirely acoustic. Might be what you're looking for, might not.
Foo Fighters have lots of acoustic stuff.
Famous last words are for men who never said enough. - Anonymous
Gear
Agile 3000 Rootbeer slim
Vox Valvetronix VT30
Takamine GS430S Acoustic
Kaki King- less a band and more a woman who beats the bejezus out of her Ovation. She's started playing electrics on her past 2 albums, though.

Michael Hedges- I know he started with Wyndham Hill, but his later stuff is incredible. Pick up his last album, Torched or Live on the Double Planet.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Jan 6, 2009,
How has dave matthews band never come up? Am I the last dave matthews fan on UG?
But there older stuff the only non acoustic instrument in the band was the bass. they have some more electric stuff now.

R.I.P LeRoi

EDIT: also, check out John Butler Trio, and Claptons unpluged album
Where the hell did slide guitar go!?!
Quote by dannyalcatraz
Another vote for Days of the New- good band!

However, y'all HAVE to check out Rodrigo y Gabriela - 2 mexican metalheads who decided to go 100% unplugged.

http://www.rodgab.com/
http://www.amazon.com/Rodrigo-y-Gabriela/dp/B000E6ETKM

While its not rock, Ritchie Blackmore has been playing largely acoustic with his "renfair" band, Blackmore's Night (with Candace Night).

Alex Skolnick of Testament fame also has a jazz combo- the Alex Skolnick Trio- which reinterprets metal songs as jazz, along with doing original tunes.

i remember seeing them on windows media center, but they just looked like normal mariachi types, not metal head... lol

i remember seeing them on windows media center, but they just looked like normal mariachi types, not metal head... lol

They were both in metal bands in Mexico, then they moved to Ireland and started playing acoustically for money.

Eventually, they started adding the stuff they played in their metal days as acoustic pieces. On their debut album, for instance, they cover both "Stairway to Heaven" (Led Zep) and "Orion" (Metallica).
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Quote by dannyalcatraz
They were both in metal bands in Mexico, then they moved to Ireland and started playing acoustically for money.

Eventually, they started adding the stuff they played in their metal days as acoustic pieces. On their debut album, for instance, they cover both "Stairway to Heaven" (Led Zep) and "Orion" (Metallica).

I wouldn't consider Stairway to heaven metal...

Haven't heard orion...

I really have never understood why MOST old 70's and 80's rock is called "Metal"
I don't consider Stairway metal either- it was just part of their repertoire of cover songs when they were in a metal band in Mexico.

As to why certain songs of the 70s or 80s are considered metal is because they were the metal of their time. That metal has had an explosion in its heavier sub-genres does not make what was metal before not metal.

After all, Black Sabbath created metal, and most of their stuff sounds incredibly light by the standards of certain metal sub-genres. They're still metal, though.

However, when someone erroneously says most of those era's hard rock tunes are metal, they're usually being imprecise. They're simply not aware of the boundaries.

Which is why the first band to get a Grammy for Metal was Jethro Tull.

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Jan 7, 2009,
Just for your pleasure...

Rodrigo y Gabriella playing Metallica's Orion.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0CsLefLisE

while not an acoustic band, oasis has TONS of acoustic material. They also have some great semi acoustic stuff from when noel and gem went on tour with gem on electric and noel on acoustic and vocals. Youtube has tons of their acoustic stuff. Great way to quickly go through stuff and find what you like.
I don't know if your interested in the type of music, but 30 Seconds to Mars have some pretty good acoustic versions of their songs. I don't like their usual sound much, but It sounds nice on acoustic guitars.