I'm getting my first amp and I was wondering what kind of amp I should get. I play some metal (Metallica is the heaviest), blues, hard rock, and classic rock. My budget is $200. I own a Standard Fender HSS Stratocaster. I'm an intermediate player. No used amps. I play in my bedroom right now but my first band practice is soon. Would a RG 60 Raven combo amp work?
Last edited by Rockgod37 at Dec 29, 2008,
Everyone's going to say Roland Cube of some sort. I haven't ever used one, but judging by how much UG suggests them, it's probably a good pick.
Gear:
Epiphone G-400 Ebony
Line-6 UberMetal, EchoPark
Boss RC-2 Loop Station
Traynor YCV50Blue, Bass Mate 25, Guitar Mate 15
well whatever you do, any Line-6 must be avoided.

Its a common mistake for people who are shopping for a first amp.

Do you only bedroom practice? Or do you play with a band?
Gear:
-White Fender Mexican Standard Tele (Newly Acquired!)
-ProCo Rat 2
-Dunlop GCB 95 Crybaby
-Fender FM DSP 25
its a shame, because the crate v series (which would've been perfect for you) were just discontinued. i say your best bet would be the vox valvetronix 1x8 combo
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
Quote by nutinpwnsgibson
its a shame, because the crate v series (which would've been perfect for you) were just discontinued. i say your best bet would be the vox valvetronix 1x8 combo

its been discontinued !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!?!?!??!?!?!?!??!!!?
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
Quote by VintageZen

Its a common mistake for people who are shopping for a first amp.

Do you only bedroom practice? Or do you play with a band?

Absolute Bull****.

The Spider series is crap, but the Flextone series is more than good enough for a first amp, albeit rather pricey for a first amp.
This is my signature. There are many like it but this one is MINE.
Quote by sixstringsteve
Absolute Bull****.

The Spider series is crap, but the Flextone series is more than good enough for a first amp, albeit rather pricey for a first amp.

true dat
for the love of god DO NOT GET A LINE SIX. Now that were over that... most of the fender amps work well, but maybe a peavey vypr 15w, if you want a load of tones.
Look for a used crate palomino v-16 or something. There's one on ebay right now for 200 as a buy it now price. You're not going to find a new amp with adequate volume and decent tone for that price, sorry. I wouldn't use a vox 15 vt or a vyper 15 in a band situation
yes a Crate Palamino v16 would be a sweet sweet first amp. May need a Tube Screamer for higher gain stuff tho. but would be better than any of the others mentioned.
Quote by Tsotsi757
for the love of god DO NOT GET A LINE SIX. Now that were over that... most of the fender amps work well, but maybe a peavey vypr 15w, if you want a load of tones.

Don't you mean DO NOT GET A LINE SIX SPIDER 3? Line 6 also makes amps that are good . Dam 08ers
I leik music
look on your local craigslist. there are high wattage solid state amps that go for just about your price range. There is a crate gx 212 120 watt going for 175 on mine right now, and it has been played three times and has sat in the guys house. you could use something like this for gigging and practice, since you are going to be in a band soon.
Quote by VintageZen

Wrong. It is a silly mistake for someone to assume all Line 6 amps should be avoided. Yes, with his budget and refusal to look used, he should stay away from Line 6. SHould he look used, he could find some Flextones that would be perfect for him.
everybody, stop going "ZOMG, LINE 6 MAKES STUFF BESIDES THE SPIDER ", at the price range of $200, you can assume that hes not going to look for a flextone.
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
marshall mg from the crushing overdrive.
Quote by slickerthnsleek
YOU WIN THE INTERNET.
Quote by dxpaintball8000
long live bucketmark.
Peavey Vypyr or a Roland Cube.

And just in case you can't tell, bucketmark is joking, don't get an MG.
I'm pretty sure the Peavey Vypyr 30 watt combo is $200 new, that would be good for a first amp imo. However, I would definetly consider going used, check out your local CL or ask around and see if any of your friends are selling amps in your price range.
Got a question about Baritone guitars? Feel free to PM me.

Thanks to UG, I converted from Metalcore to some "real" Metal.