I'm movin' on up, but I'm concerned about the nut up front, the largest (54) doesn't quite sit completely in the nut, its held there by more than half its width, but its definetly not in there like the other string was is this an issue? If so I can get a smaller set, if not good because i like the feel of them. Are there any other issues I should worry about?

I'm using Beefy Ernie Ball's on a JS30RR
just widen the nut slot a bit with a file or something till it sits in there nicely.
i used to be a mod, then i took an arrow in the knee.
if it doesnt completely sit on the nut, it might affect your intonation, and the when you play it open, the the note may not be sustained as long as it normally would be when you played it. either way, test the intonation with the set. if you don't know what that is, type it up on google.
Quote by raise_the_dead
Technical farts in odd time signatures?

WTF do you eat?

Quote by metabolicmaggot
Wow these answers scare me....I've swallowed some of that suff....I need a shower.
I'm expecting to adjust the neck, it buzzes a little, so ill get it set up eventually, but my main question is do i have to modify the nut, and if i do would it effect smaller sizes if i decide to ever go back down?
Quote by -ChairVox-
I'm expecting to adjust the neck, it buzzes a little, so ill get it set up eventually, but my main question is do i have to modify the nut, and if i do would it effect smaller sizes if i decide to ever go back down?

When I first started playing, back in the days of yore, I used a .056 as my bottom string. Given the stock was a .046, it took some getting used to. Eventually, just from playing, it managed to grind itself in there pretty snug. I couldn't complain. And it didn't really do anything when i switched back to using regular .046-guage strings. There was a little bit of buzz, but it resolved itself. Idk if it'll be the same for the Jackson, but you should be okay.

Btw, Ernie Ball makes a great string, but you need to try Dean Markley Blue Steel Strings. I started using them two years ago and I haven't used another brand yet. They're so amazingly well made, and they last for a long time. Now considering they haven't yet made a 7-String pack of the Blue Steels, I still use Ernie Ball strings on my Ibanez RG-7321. Tis a very good string.
Thanks, when I snap one that isnt a high E I'll replace the set as a whole and give those a try.
I don't think you'll be disappointed. And yeah, that's one thing that slightly turned me off about Ernie Ball is they're tendency to snap, especially on the lighter, top strings. Thankfully, you can buy them as singles. Ya can't with Dean Markley, but if you're careful in restringing, it shouldn't be a problem with them. Best of luck to ya, mate. Hope I helped.