so yup, i WAS going to get an electric for christmas, but as fate goes, i didnt, and have settled on an electric/acustic for multiple reasons.

so yeah, i have 275$ twoards it since i didnt get the electric, whats the best buy? i tried a couple out at guitar center, and idk, ovations just dont seem attractive to me, with the rounded back and whatever, i meen idk if it really affects the sound when i go unplugged but whatever...
so unless ovation is THE only way to go, please suggest something with a normaly shaped body :P

i dont go for the curves, its the inside that counts rite? .... if you know what i meen

so yeah, whats ur suggestion for the best electric-acustic guitar to get for 275$?

and yes,,, i can muster up a few more dollars if the best one for near that price is 300

and NO, i dont know if there is a specific forum for electric-acustic guitars, so iges im gunna post

and by electric-acustic i meen the ones that can do both... im not totaly savvy on this "hybrid" type of guitar if you call it that.

thanks a ton
do you want an acoustic guitar that can have distortion as well?

i would recommend buying an acoustic, and the electrics separate... since i've had terrible experiences with cheap acoustic electrics electrics, and you could get a decent acoustic for 200$ and then get much better electrics for like 50-100$ and boom, u have a much nicer sounding acoustic electric than any 300$ acoustic electric...
well actualy i was pretty curious as to what happens when you turn on distortion with an electric acustic so i was either going to try it out next time im at guitar center, or ask ppl here, so igess now that you bring it up...

what does happen when you turn on the distortion to an electric acustic? or does it depend on the guitar?
but no, i was really determining my purchase on how well the distortion works,
i was actualy more thinging about how well i can play chords while my brother solos on his electric or whatever
and the acustic side of it for ppl to sing along, and for portability and stuff
It can kinda work if you have a magnetic pickup.. it definitely don't work if you have a mic, from what i know, and with an undersaddle pickup it just feeds back unless you're using headphones, then it just sounds TERRIBLE

so if you REALLY wanted an acoustic you could switch to distortion, you would just need to make sure to buy a magnetic pickup, but since it sounds like you don't care...

like i said, i would go for picking up a 150-200 dollar acoustic and then buying the electrics for it... something like this http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Alvarez-RD6-Regent-Dreadnought-Acoustic-Guitar?sku=514083

or this http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Takamine-G340SC-Solid-Top-Cutaway-Acoustic-Guitar?sku=516423

and then buy a seperate pickup like this http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/Dean-Markley-West-Coast-La-Jolla-Active-Pickup-System?sku=304014
Last edited by redking14ca at Dec 29, 2008,
pretty much generally with an acoustic it will feed back very easily... much more so than with an electric... but it's kinda possible with only a magnetic pickup. fun to play around with i guess, but i wouldn't perform with it...
Yeah....

Acoustic/Electric guitars aren't really "hybrids." They are acoustic guitars with a pickup so that you can play through a PA system or an amp for gigs. Not so you can play them with effects (although I know that some people do play acoustics with effects. Irritates me beyone belief).
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Quote by rawxalot

and by electric-acustic i meen the ones that can do both... im not totaly savvy on this "hybrid" type of guitar if you call it that.

yea thats not what acoustic-electrics are for. the only reason why they have an electric part on them is so you can put it through an amp to make it louder for a concert/gig.
its a misconception that you can use it as an electric guitar. i mean you can but it wont sound good at all.

what you are looking for you have to get an acoustic with a magnetic pickup. somehting like the taylor T5, but thats abit out of your price range.
oh and most semi-hollow/hollow body jazz style electric guitars wont worth either because they dont really resonate loud enough to be played unplugged.
yeh, i wasnt planning on using distortion anyway,

thanks for hte help guys,
Quote by Natrone
Yeah....
Not so you can play them with effects (although I know that some people do play acoustics with effects. Irritates me beyone belief).

Hey, i like me some acoustic chorus every so often
Quote by rawxalot

I'm not really sure what you're after.
If you want an electric guitar sound, then get an electric. An Electric Acoustic is just an Acoustic guitar, with pick-ups. It will sound nothing like an electric guitar.
there isn't a guitar that can do both.

I assume this is your first guitar? If so, why not just get an acoustic (check out the What Guitar under $300 sticky: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=337075) then you can save up for an electric later.
Quote by Renka
OddOneOut is an Essex S&M mistress and not a pirate or a computer program.

Oh, and honestly you more than likely won't find a quality A/E for $275. You'll get a crappy guitar with crappy electronics.
Quote by necrosis1193

Quote by Silverstein14

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
I have the Ibanez V-series acoustic-electric. I love it, sounds great with amp, and it cost like 210-250? i think? idk, look it up on GC site.
playing guitar is one big musical journey

My gear:
Epiphone special sg
Line 6 spider III 15 watt amp
Digitech bad monkey tube overdrive
Digitech grunge distortion
Digitech hyper phase phaser
dunlop original cry baby wah.
Ugh....

Please don't get an Ibanez. Please.

If you MUST have an A/E, get a Yamaha APX (though I hate to recommend an all-lam).

Look on the respected guitar retail websites (GC, MF, Music123, etc.) for A/E guitars in your price range.
Quote by necrosis1193

Quote by Silverstein14

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
A really nice one i just got is a Schecter ASE4 Electric-Acoustic and it has a rounded plastic like back with a really nice orange like finish. It has great tone also and can sound like a pretty bad-ass electric with the right settings.
Quote by Natrone

If you MUST have an A/E, get a Yamaha APX (though I hate to recommend an all-lam).

Wait, aren't they solid tops? http://www.yamaha.com/art/guitars/apx500.html
It says spruce, thats a tree right? :S
Oh btw, Im Russian. :stickpoke

Fascinating people: Jon Stewart, Bill Murray, Eric Clapton, John Mayer, Hugh Laurie, Seasick Steve, Eugene Hutz, William Shatner, Boris Grebenshikov, Anthony Hopkins.

Hohner HC 06
Washburn EA18TS
Quote by persevvere
Wait, aren't they solid tops? http://www.yamaha.com/art/guitars/apx500.html
It says spruce, thats a tree right? :S

Yeah, but unless they specifically say solid top, then it is pretty much a laminate
Quote by Random Internet User
My fondness for people diminished each day I was a sysadmin. I changed careers and am now a mortician. These days I get fewer stupid questions from my clients.

:stickpoke
Quote by Jeremiah1981
Yeah, but unless they specifically say solid top, then it is pretty much a laminate

grrrr, almost bought one of those
Why dont they just say - solid or laminate? Prob to fool noobs like me into buying a crap guitar,,,,
Oh btw, Im Russian. :stickpoke

Fascinating people: Jon Stewart, Bill Murray, Eric Clapton, John Mayer, Hugh Laurie, Seasick Steve, Eugene Hutz, William Shatner, Boris Grebenshikov, Anthony Hopkins.

Hohner HC 06
Washburn EA18TS
Well, they aren't CRAP guitars, just not the very best you can get. The laminate doesn't mean that it'll be BAD. In fact, the APX guitars actually sound quite nice when they're plugged in, and acoustically they'll be better than most of the crap people have suggested (Ibanez, Schecter. I didn't even know Schecter MADE acoustics) Yamaha makes quality guitars. I'd look into it.

Oh, and if you're willing to go used, you will more than likely find a good deal somewhere out there.
Quote by necrosis1193

Quote by Silverstein14

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
I'd recommend a Takamine any day. They make great starter guitars...actually, they just make good guitars, period. Alvarez makes some nice acoustics too. Unfortunately I haven't had the pleasure of trying one before.
Quote by necrosis1193

Quote by Silverstein14

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Quote by redking14ca
What about the takamine G series? like this one i posted earlier http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Takamine-G340SC-Solid-Top-Cutaway-Acoustic-Guitar?sku=516423
the cheap takamines and alvarez's are decent, arent they? and like i said, you could prolly get a decent acoustic, and just like buy an acoustic pickup... i mean he's talking CHEAP!!!!

Or a Yamaha FG700S and any good soundhole pickup. I personally prefer to mic but if you want a pickup take your pick http://www.musiciansfriend.com/navigation?N=100001&Ns=P_Price|0&Ntk=All&Ntt=soundhole+pickup&Nty=1&rpp=20
Founder of the EHX Users Guild
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Please don't tell me I'm the only one that clicked this thread thinking I would learn how to make my guitar sound like a grizzly bear.
i prefer alvarez, but they have a completely different sound than takamine... in my opinion

I like Takamine... love..... but my friend has a beautiful Alvarez mastercraft Yairi i play at church... sounds and plays better than any acoustic i've laid hands upon.
I really wish I could try an Alvarez.

I wonder if there is a chance that TS could get a used Seagull in this price range. I've fallen in love with those works of art. Beatiful tone.
Quote by necrosis1193

Quote by Silverstein14

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
I'd definitely second the recommendation for a Takamine. I just recently bought an EF341SC...I know it's way out of your price range but I am in love with this guitar...played a few of their lower grade guitars when I was buying this one and they had a really good sound and played good too I thought. Check out some of their G series guitars. Alvarez also makes a good acoustic electric...I've got one of those too...not entirely sure the model number but check my profile...I got it a couple years ago for about $500 so that'd be another possibility.
yeah i have an acoustic, but i was looking for something that i could turn up the volume without hitting it harder
yeah, i was more talking to the earlier guys who thought i wanted it to be like an electric as well as an acoustic,
no worries
OH i see what you mean, well goodluck, i think you've got our input....

everyone says Takamine (g series for ur price), or yamaha FG7xx it seems, and alvarez and seagull as well..