well i have a behringer amp and id like to build myself a cabinet for a tube head.

building the cabinet is not a problem for me, the problem is i have to make the cabinet before i get the head. i have no head, just the combo amp.

is it possible to use the combo amp as a "head" until i can get the true head?

*puts on flame suit*
Official Aspie member

ANOUNCEMENT: Weird misspellings or words that make no sense? there was a good chance this was sent from my Droid 2 phone.
Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.

RIP Dime RIP Michael Jackson
Last edited by conor1148 at Dec 29, 2008,
wait, so you want to use a combo amp as the head... why not just use it as a combo?

more speakers don't make it louder or anything.....

most people turn their combos into cabs.. not heads
My Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Epiphone AJ
Ibanez Strat Copy

Amps:
Orange Tiny Terror Head
Old beaten up Peavey cab
Marshall MG30DFX
Quote by FightinIrishPJ
wait, so you want to use a combo amp as the head... why not just use it as a combo?

more speakers don't make it louder or anything.....

most people turn their combos into cabs.. not heads

the problem is i have to demonstrate to my dad that i know what im doing before i can get my hands on the head.

damn i feel dumb.. what is a cab?

i dont need it any louder, basically i just need to be able to use the cabinet with the combo to prove it works, hard to explain.
Official Aspie member

ANOUNCEMENT: Weird misspellings or words that make no sense? there was a good chance this was sent from my Droid 2 phone.
Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.

Quote by qstionauthority
yeah you can line out a combo to a cab as long as it will drive the speakers

(cab = cabinet)

and i wont have any problems?

so since the behringer is 60 watt will 60 what speakers work or do i need something bigger?

(sorry for being a speaker noob)
Official Aspie member

Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.

You can use any speakers that meet or exceed the wattage of the amp. You need to make sure the impedance of the cab and the head(or in this case, combo amp) match, though.
well with speaker cabinets it's more about ohms than watts. with a 60 watt amp, there isn't much danger of blowing the speakers out. just try and match up the ohm rating of your combo to whatever cab you get, or make. good luck
so how do i find the ohms?
Official Aspie member

Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.

Well, either find the manual for the amp, or see if it says on the speakers in it. If they're wired in parallel divide whatever it says on them by 2 and that's the amp's impedance.
alright, i will go check.

would i be able to go to a car/home theater audio store to get guitar speakers or am i best ordering them online or through guitar store websites?

reason being, we have a very good (from what ive heard) car/hometheater audio store near me

EDIT-speakers say 4ohms, my guess is they are in series, i cant actually see into the amp. but if i need too ill remove the plate covering it up.
Official Aspie member

Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.

Last edited by conor1148 at Dec 29, 2008,
yeah get a old guitar cable and cut one end off and hook it to the cables in your combo thats got to the speaker then the end with the jack goes to the cab

BEWARE OF THE OHMS cause i if you dont you will kill ur amp or the cab this im not too familiar with so someone else will cover it for me

Guitar : Fender CIJ Mustang and a Telecaster
Amp : 76 fender champ
Pedals : BBE green screamer, Big muff, Ibanez LU20 Pedal Tuner, boss loop pedal
thanks for the warning, anyone want to explain it a little more in depth?

by the way it is now my birthday!! yay me!
no joke.
Official Aspie member

Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.

Quote by Nagashiro
yeah get a old guitar cable and cut one end off and hook it to the cables in your combo thats got to the speaker then the end with the jack goes to the cab

BEWARE OF THE OHMS cause i if you dont you will kill ur amp or the cab this im not too familiar with so someone else will cover it for me

Extremely bad idea. Guitar cables aren't designed to handle watts of power, they're designed to handle milliwatts of power. You need actual speaker cable.
so what about the ohms? im confused how they could ruin the cabinet or amp
Official Aspie member

Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.

The amp is designed to drive speakers at a certain impedance. Operating too far out of spec has the potential to damage the amp.
do you have any examples?

like if i used 8 ohm speakers for the amp that the speakers are 4, what happens?
Official Aspie member

Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.

Probably nothing, especially if it's solid state. Just don't crank it. You tend to run into problems more when you mix two steps like 4Ω and 16Ω.
Quote by Mike-T93
Probably nothing, especially if it's solid state. Just don't crank it. You tend to run into problems more when you mix two steps like 4Ω and 16Ω.

so like a 4 amp and a 16 speaker?

and what ohm speaker and watt tube head should i look for for mostly household stuff with the occasional gig in a small auditorium?
Official Aspie member

Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.

The impedances just have to match, it doesn't affect volume as long as they match. You can also adjust some amps' output and some cabs' input or rewire the cabs when there are multiple speakers so the impedances match.
ok so, a 8 ohm head is what ill need? and the 8 ohm speakers will be fine for it and the combo?

sorry, this a tad bit confusing, but i think i understand
Official Aspie member

Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.

I'm guessing you've never had a physics class. But yes, if they're both 8Ω it will be fine. Just make sure the speakers can handle at least the max wattage of the amp.
Quote by Mike-T93
I'm guessing you've never had a physics class. But yes, if they're both 8Ω it will be fine. Just make sure the speakers can handle at least the max wattage of the amp.

sorry, i have physics this next semester coming up.

anyways, thanks, you were a enourmous help i understand much better now, any more tips before i go zap myself?
Official Aspie member

Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.

Unplug the amp before working on it . You might also want to Wikipedia Ohms, Ohm's Law, etc.
alrighty, this may be the wrong place, but what do you think about this? i played a valve king combo and sorta liked it.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Peavey-ValveKing-100-Head-104003231-i1145525.gc
Official Aspie member

Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.

Haven't actually played one, but I've heard good things about them. It's worth trying out at a store for sure, youtube some vids of it.