I like to play metal and I want to learn solos but usually I'm intimidated by most of them and bends are a big problem for me. Can anyone suggest some easy solos or riffs that are fairly heavy on bending? I tried doing "Always With Me, Always With You" but the bends throw me off because they always sound really strained when I play them. Also my guitar doesn't have a lot of sustain on the high notes. I don't want to blame the sound of the bends on my guitar but sometimes I think that's it.
Quote by MightyAl
I think this is the real problem. Standing up to someone so fat has a couople major risks.
1)They might have a heart attack, fall on you and crush you
2)They might eat you. And not in a fun, girl-on-girl 'pics or it didn't happemn' way.
Hotel California. When I first started playing and learned that solo, my fingers were on fire the next day from all of the bending.
Gibson SG Standard
Ibanez S2170FB
Peavey JSX
Marshall 1960A
TEXAS A&M
Quote by killerscorpion
Practice ur bends

+1
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
I learned to do bending by learning the intro to wonderful tonight. Slow, sounds nice and a great way to learn,
Quote by supergerbil
I learned to do bending by learning the intro to wonderful tonight. Slow, sounds nice and a great way to learn,
That's a good place to start. Like you said, it's slow, but it's a nice melody so you don't get bored with it too fast.

This might be obvious enough for you to already be well aware of it, but incase you're not, here's a simple method for practicing your bends. When you're trying to bend to the right spot, play the same fretted note as a reference first.

For example, if the tab tells you to bend the 10th fret on the A string a full note, play the 12th fret on the A string, then perform your bend, being careful to bend to the same pitch as the fretted note. If it tells you to bend a 1/2 note, play the 11th fret and do your bend to that pitch. By playing the note first, then bending to that note, you'll easily be able to recognize how far you need to bend. Keep doing it over and over until it becomes natural, then try playing it in the context of the song.
on the bends, best advice i got was dont think about it just go for it...and after awhile you'll perfect how far to bend it to get the pitch you want...if it sounds strained you probably tense up right before the bend so everything sounds smooth then you bend and its stiff ...always relax and just do it, one day itll click
'I love her, but I love to fish...I'm gonna miss her"
Quote by Jim85IROC
That's a good place to start. Like you said, it's slow, but it's a nice melody so you don't get bored with it too fast.

This might be obvious enough for you to already be well aware of it, but incase you're not, here's a simple method for practicing your bends. When you're trying to bend to the right spot, play the same fretted note as a reference first.

For example, if the tab tells you to bend the 10th fret on the A string a full note, play the 12th fret on the A string, then perform your bend, being careful to bend to the same pitch as the fretted note. If it tells you to bend a 1/2 note, play the 11th fret and do your bend to that pitch. By playing the note first, then bending to that note, you'll easily be able to recognize how far you need to bend. Keep doing it over and over until it becomes natural, then try playing it in the context of the song.

+1

You need to spend some time learning to bend and practicing bends before you try to use them in a song.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

One thing I do is similar to what Jim851ROC said. I just go through the entire fretboard on all the frets, on all the strings trying to bend equivalent to one tone (Fret) upwards. Once I can do that, I go to two tones upwards.
Its obviously harder on the lower frets, but it helps build a ton of finger strength. Also, try to do it with every finger. I started out neglecting my pinky, and now it has little strength, and I can hardly bend one tone.
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me
Quote by steven seagull
+1

You need to spend some time learning to bend and practicing bends before you try to use them in a song.

This.

But once you get the hang of it:

PINK FLOYD!

David Gilmour is the bend master.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
This.

But once you get the hang of it:

PINK FLOYD!

David Gilmour is the bend master.

this. The intro to the solo of Money is how I learned to bend.
Another great 'bendy' song is Parisian Walkways by Gary Moore. It goes nice and easy so quite straightforward to follow. There's nice vibros as well, and its a beaut to play in a shop or during practice.
I spent a good couple of weeks simply learning to bend....I did very little other than pick a start note and a target note then practice bending to it. I did that all over the neck for various notes, just getting used to the feel of bending differnt strings in different positions and also getting used to the sound of bends, hearing when i was hiting target pitches. I did that for bends of varisous steps and also unison and double-stop bends.

Only after I thought I was getting the hang of the basics did I actually attempt to play anything that used them.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

I just learnt to bend gradually. I have a mate that plays classical though and has just atarted playing more bluesy stuff who is amazed by a 2 step bend, I never thought that that was anything spectacular though.