In my playing. I've been playing for about six months now, and I can't find any new songs to learn that are above my playing level, that aren't just too hard for me! I can comfortably play Stairway (of course) Hearts Burst Into Fire, My Curse, the first two minutes or so of Canon Rock (before it gets ridiculous), Laid to Rest, and Thunderstruck. Can someone please help by suggesting my new songs or techniques to try out?
My Gear
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
EHX Metal Muff
Peavey Valvking 112
Boss ME-50
Holy Grail Reverb
I hate falling into walls. It's like the initial embarrassment of falling but then the pain of hitting and sliding on the wall.

Try song's you've never heard before, look up bands you actually don't like and learn their songs.
you have some good equipment for 6 months lol

Get into Buckethead and Paul Gilbert ( though majority of their music is complex, listen to it anyways, it's good stuff ), learn some more Killswitch Engage songs?
Thanks a lot. Buckethead seams a bit out of my reach for now, and I've been meaning to learn some more KSE, just havn't gotten around to it lol.

Edit: And what are some good bands to look into? I like metalcore, hard rock, even a little bit of hair metal lol. But nothing really black metal or death
My Gear
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
EHX Metal Muff
Peavey Valvking 112
Boss ME-50
Holy Grail Reverb
learn a new style of music.
Quote by coolstoryangus
Pffffffft schematics

Although i guess the OP will have to get used to reading them if he's going to buy a bugera..
Quote by gregs1020

along with fire escape routes...

Quote by Guitarfreak777
Your really far for only 6 months, you practice a lot?

I try to fit in an hour a day. I'm picking up lessons again when basketball season is over, they really seem to help a lot. And to the person who suggested to try other music, what do you suggest? I want to learn some jazz and blues, but I really don't know any good artists lol. Sorry for that bit of ignorance
My Gear
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
EHX Metal Muff
Peavey Valvking 112
Boss ME-50
Holy Grail Reverb
Quote by msuspartan
I try to fit in an hour a day. I'm picking up lessons again when basketball season is over, they really seem to help a lot. And to the person who suggested to try other music, what do you suggest? I want to learn some jazz and blues, but I really don't know any good artists lol. Sorry for that bit of ignorance
Jimi Hendrix played blues/jazz/hard rock try that.
Drummer looks baked
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCwCBh0z3Hs
Quote by msuspartan

I never practiced that much that early lol. But then I was 9 when i started so thats part of it.

*edit*

To contribute

Learn things with more solos in them.
Quote by Guitarfreak777
I never practiced that much that early lol. But then I was 9 when i started so thats part of it.

*edit*

To contribute

Learn things with more solos in them.

Yea thats what I'm trying to find. I can play the Hotel California solo, I just hate it with a passion because of all of the bends lol. I like to learn Avenged Sevenfold stuff, but their solos are just have too many sweeps and triplets, but their riffs are fun to play.
My Gear
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
EHX Metal Muff
Peavey Valvking 112
Boss ME-50
Holy Grail Reverb
there should be a thread that says "begginer songs" or something like that, that should help you.
bob marley-redemption
pixies-where is my mind
anything from the violent femmes...
Quote by msuspartan
Yea thats what I'm trying to find. I can play the Hotel California solo, I just hate it with a passion because of all of the bends lol. I like to learn Avenged Sevenfold stuff, but their solos are just have too many sweeps and triplets, but their riffs are fun to play.

Thats part of the challenge dude! Sweeping is a difficult technique to learn for almost every guitarist. You should work on that if nothing else since you have hit a wall.
Quote by buddha
there should be a thread that says "begginer songs" or something like that, that should help you.
bob marley-redemption
pixies-where is my mind
anything from the violent femmes...

I'm past those... But I guess I'll try some of the basic sweeping lessons on UG today, thanks for all of your help!
My Gear
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
EHX Metal Muff
Peavey Valvking 112
Boss ME-50
Holy Grail Reverb
No, you're not....you're never "past" anything and the fact that you're struggling would indicate that you need to spend more time on the "easy" stuff. There's no such thing as a beginner song or something that's too easy, only songs you can play and songs you can't.

Quote by msuspartan

Forget sweeping for the time being, you're blatantly not ready for it because you're having issues with far easier, more fundamental techniques...the Hotel California solo isn't horrendously difficult. It sounds like you're simply expecting things to be easier than they are, it doesn't matter how long you've been playing or how "good" you are, if you don't know something it's going to take time to learn it. It could be that you're just not as good as you think you are and need to brush up on yur basic techinque so work on your picking, fretting, playing in time and work on your bends.

Try something like the solo in Highway to Hell by AC/DC - if you can play that then there's no reason you can't learn Hotel California, you just won't be able to play it instantly. You've listed things you can play, but we have no idea how well you can play them and that's all that matters - I'm guessing you can't actually play them as well as you think.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Last edited by steven seagull at Dec 29, 2008,
Quote by Bottle of Dirt
Try song's you've never heard before, look up bands you actually don't like and learn their songs.

Don't play songs you don't like or you'll lose motivation.
Pull harder is relatively easy. But it's an intense riff. Hmmmm. Ember to inferno?

Maybe try a different technique? Work on finger picking for example. Or tapping?
Funny, I feel the same way...

Then again, the only reason I feel the same way is my death metal band is forcing me to play in drop C (although that tuning is good for metal, I can write stuff just as well in standard, goddamnit!)

But, to contribute: Try stuff from all sorts of different genres. Talk to your friends and ask them what their favorite musician is, look them up, listen to their stuff, and play it.

Hell, I hit a wall last night, but now i'm trying Cowboys from Hell by Pantera. Good stuff.

and a song I suggest trying...AC/DC's "Let There Be Rock". Friggin' amazing song, and the solos might test you a bit.

Good luck though!
You know, you're probably reading this saying "Hey, I'm bored, maybe this'll be funny?"
It's not. Too bad. No, I am not refunding you those 6 seconds of your life. So :P

Quote by thefryster123
Pull harder is relatively easy. But it's an intense riff. Hmmmm. Ember to inferno?

Maybe try a different technique? Work on finger picking for example. Or tapping?

Hmm, what would be some good fingerpicking songs to work on?
My Gear
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
EHX Metal Muff
Peavey Valvking 112
Boss ME-50
Holy Grail Reverb
If you want good finger picking technique then you must start simple. ex: twinkle twinkle little star

But seriously...

After you get better 600 A.D. / Wind Scene is a very nice song using finger picking.
best thing is to find artists you never heard of from a different genre and learn it...always gives me inspiration and excitement
'I love her, but I love to fish...I'm gonna miss her"
Just keep playing watching and learning. Guitar is not something learned/masterd in "x" amount of time.
learn the 12 bar blues progression and learn to solo over it in A minor and E minor... Just knowing what the pentatonic and blues scale is isn't enough to know how to improv. So get yourself a backing track, get a good idea of what sounds good with what, and also listen to some blues players like stevie ray vaughn.

I played ONLY metal for a while until i started to open up to new things and i love improv more than anything else. I'll sit in my room for hours just improvising. Plus, you can tell almost ANY good guitarist in the world to do 12 bar blues in A and he'll know what to do. There- instant jam sessions
My gear:
PRS SE custom
~!~--Peavey XXX super 40 EFX --~!~
Peavey VK 112

===WGS Vet30
===JJ power tubes

---Pedals:
-ISP Decimator
-Digitech Bad Monkey
-Crybaby wah
-Korg Pitchblack
-Danelectro FnC EQ