what are the best passive pickups for death metal? i need both bridge and neck. i really don't know where to start. help?
Best way is to look at the guitarists you listen to and check their choice of pickups.

What type of guitar you have would really determine whether the pickup would sound good as well.

For example, I put a Screamin Demon into a S series Ibanez and it sounded awesome, but apparently they sound like crap in a LP.
Quote by darkstar2466

You are an idiot. Idiots get punished. You will be punished.
Yep, what pickups should go into your guitar depend on the guitar it's going into as well as the amp you're putting everything through.
Most basic questions to be asked, as always, in this forum. Budget, type of guitar, all that good bollocks.

My best suggestion would be the EMG HZ Series. EMG makes some damn good passive pickups, which have graced many guitars known for their metal tendencies. Examples: Epiphone Zakk Les Paul, medium-range Jacksons and Schecters, LTD guitars. That would be my suggestion. If you decide to bump it out to Active pickups, EMG also has a very good line-up there as well, providing with the Gibson Zakk LP, Many high-end Schecters [some medium-range too], many ESP and LTD guitars, and even Halo Guitars [the really nice custom ones]. If those aren't heavy enough [yeah, right] you can always take a look at Lundgren pickups. Johan Lundgren in a Swedish pickup manufacturer who has become most famous for his authentic PAF-styled Humbuckers, and his M7 humcker [which can be seen in use by both of Meshuggah's guitarists]. If you don't have a seven-string, don't worry. Lundgren also manufactures the M6 for six-string guitars, and even the M8, for [you guessed it] eight-string guitars. Take your pick bro. Best of luck to ya, I hope you find what works for you.
[quote="'[VictorinoX"]']Most basic questions to be asked, as always, in this forum. Budget, type of guitar, all that good bollocks.

My best suggestion would be the EMG HZ Series. EMG makes some damn good passive pickups, which have graced many guitars known for their metal tendencies. Examples: Epiphone Zakk Les Paul, medium-range Jacksons and Schecters, LTD guitars. That would be my suggestion. If you decide to bump it out to Active pickups, EMG also has a very good line-up there as well, providing with the Gibson Zakk LP, Many high-end Schecters [some medium-range too], many ESP and LTD guitars, and even Halo Guitars [the really nice custom ones]. If those aren't heavy enough [yeah, right] you can always take a look at Lundgren pickups. Johan Lundgren in a Swedish pickup manufacturer who has become most famous for his authentic PAF-styled Humbuckers, and his M7 humcker [which can be seen in use by both of Meshuggah's guitarists]. If you don't have a seven-string, don't worry. Lundgren also manufactures the M6 for six-string guitars, and even the M8, for [you guessed it] eight-string guitars. Take your pick bro. Best of luck to ya, I hope you find what works for you.
WOW! thank you bro, you helped A LOT
I'm pretty sure Bareknuckle Pickups take the cake for heaviest passive. The Nailbomb or Painkiller are absolutley amazing, I had a Nailbomb in my Ibanez 7 string, and it was amazing.
Quote by LuthierofTexas
You have no experience with racks??? What kind of guy are you?
Very nice. I hadn't even thought about them. I'm getting ready to put some EMG 707 in my seven string in a bit here. How do you think they'd compare to the Bare Knuckles?
[quote="'[VictorinoX"]']Very nice. I hadn't even thought about them. I'm getting ready to put some EMG 707 in my seven string in a bit here. How do you think they'd compare to the Bare Knuckles?
In my basic opinion, I don't like actives. I really don't know why, but compared to the BKP's I had, they sound more sterile and dry compared to the passives. I had EMG 81's in my LTD Viper too, and they sounded great, but not me. It is all opinion, but I think the BKP would be better.
Quote by LuthierofTexas
I'll definitely take that into consideration. What kind of music do you play, just so i can get an idea of what they're suited to?
[quote="'[VictorinoX"]']I'll definitely take that into consideration. What kind of music do you play, just so i can get an idea of what they're suited to?
Mostly progressive/death metal. But actually, I also play a lot of alternative and some classic rock. They fit the bill on metal perfectly, but when I change the settings on my amp, the clean sounds amazing. If you are going to put them into your Ibanez, it would probably be the right thing to do. I had a 7421, a step above the 7321, and it worked great with the 5 way switch.
Quote by LuthierofTexas
Quote by CarbonDeath
Mostly progressive/death metal. But actually, I also play a lot of alternative and some classic rock. They fit the bill on metal perfectly, but when I change the settings on my amp, the clean sounds amazing. If you are going to put them into your Ibanez, it would probably be the right thing to do. I had a 7421, a step above the 7321, and it worked great with the 5 way switch.

Cool. I'm looking to play a blend of Thrash and Industrial with some progressive/experimental touches. Basically take [eighties] Metallica, Exodus, Ministry, and Therion, smash them all together, wipe away the blood, and there you have it
[quote="'[VictorinoX"]']My best suggestion would be the EMG HZ Series. EMG makes some damn good passive pickups, which have graced many guitars known for their metal tendencies. Examples: Epiphone Zakk Les Paul, medium-range Jacksons and Schecters, LTD guitars. That would be my suggestion. If you decide to bump it out to Active pickups, EMG also has a very good line-up there as well, providing with the Gibson Zakk LP, Many high-end Schecters [some medium-range too], many ESP and LTD guitars, and even Halo Guitars [the really nice custom ones]. .
Considering EMG hZ's are nothing like EMG's active pickups, that's horrible advice.

And threadstarter, "heaviness" is determined by your playing style/technique and your amp, mnore than your pickups. If you don't play the part, and you don't have the amp to back it up, the "heaviest" pickups in the world won't help you sound metal.
Quote by forsaknazrael
Considering EMG hZ's are nothing like EMG's active pickups, that's horrible advice.

And threadstarter, "heaviness" is determined by your playing style/technique and your amp, mnore than your pickups. If you don't play the part, and you don't have the amp to back it up, the "heaviest" pickups in the world won't help you sound metal.

oh my god thank you.

It's very much the same reason there are many metal players who have no problem getting a heavy sound out of a pair of PAFs.
Im suprized no one has said the Dimarzio X2N. I swear thats just as hot, if not hotter that an EMG 81.
Framus Cobra
Marshall JCM 900
peavey 5150

Mesa 4x12
Quote by forsaknazrael

That would explain perfectly why I listed them separately.
I think it's mostly because people sometimes don't realize how little impact pickups make in comparison to your amp. Well I shouldn't say "little" impact as the way pickups change the way your sound is voiced can be pretty significant, however, it is definitely the last part of the equation. I think the problem is that people who haven't actually swapped out pickups before in their guitars realize that if they can't get a metal tone with what they have, they're not going to get a metal tone with new pickups and the same setup.
Quote by forsaknazrael
No, because you also said they make some of the best passive pickups. Which they don't. There's tons that are better, and EMG got their fame from their active pickups.

I said no such thing. I gave my suggestion based on my experience. "Damn good" doesn't necessarily translate into "the best ever-ever-ever.....ever." It simply translates into "I've tried them out on various guitars, and they seem to do their job very well."