Another UG member got me interested in the Big Muff fuzz. The only music shop that stocks them in my area carries a few different versions including the Mini Muff.

Is there any real difference i should be aware of before getting them to order me in one?
mini muff is lacking tone-wise, i find.

i've heard the russian muff's are "smoother", but i have yet to A/B them with a NYC muff.

sneakyedit: kinda funny that i answered first....

anywho, i would go with the NYC muff anyday, but that is just my opinion
I'm guessing similar to comparing an American nuclear submarine to a Russian one If you don't get what I'm saying, watch K-19. It'll make perfect sense
Quote by Skierinanutshel
mini muff is lacking tone-wise, i find.

i've heard the russian muff's are "smoother", but i have yet to A/B them with a NYC muff.

sneakyedit: kinda funny that i answered first....

anywho, i would go with the NYC muff anyday, but that is just my opinion

After searching on google i discovered the NYC muff is the preferred choice and the russian muff uses cheaper components (apparently)

Reminds me of this

http://www.legorobotcomics.com/?id=47

Heheh.
The American muff will have a bigger bottom end and a fatter tone to it.

The Russian muff will hold a lot of Nuclear content.
Signatures are overrated.
alright, here's a video of a guy doing a side-by-side demo of the russian muff, the american muff, the little big muff, and the muff with tone wicker.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fEKr8K0DglQ

conditions aren't truly perfect, but it's pretty helpful.
Quote by Moe.
The American muff will have a bigger bottom end and a fatter tone to it.

The Russian muff will hold a lot of Nuclear content.

I know that was a joke, but you're almost describing the differences there, if a little backwards.

The USA muff is more fuzzy with a more saggy response and a very loose sludgey bottom end. Tends to turn chords into mush, from my experience, so it works best for lead work imo.

The Russian muff is more of a distortion sound, with a tighter overall sound, more bottom end but not quite as sludgey sounding. Better for playing chords than the USA muff imo.
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
Quote by Blompcube
I know that was a joke, but you're almost describing the differences there, if a little backwards.

The USA muff is more fuzzy with a more saggy response and a very loose sludgey bottom end. Tends to turn chords into mush, from my experience, so it works best for lead work imo.

The Russian muff is more of a distortion sound, with a tighter overall sound, more bottom end but not quite as sludgey sounding. Better for playing chords than the USA muff imo.

Well there you go.
Signatures are overrated.