Im thinking of sanding down the back of the neck of my Epiphone Les Paul Custom and i was just wondering if i do will the neck warp? i live in florida where the climate is humid. If it will warp is there a finish i can use that will keep it from warping but also wont have that glossy sticky feeling?
Just rough it up with 400 grit. It won't go through the finish, so it will still be protected, but it will no longer have the 'stickiness' of gloss.

If you really want to, you can sand the neck all the way down to the wood and use an oil finish, like tung oil, linseed oil, tru-oil, or gunstock oil. This will give you protection, semi gloss, and it will be silky smooth and really, really fast. I've tung oiled 3 necks with excellent results for over a year of wear and tear so far.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
Before you you sand it, look into it more by asking more pro luthiers. In my opinion 400 grit will ruin your neck, it's too rough. If you use a real high number, you'll have much more control over the amount of finish being taken off, plus the smoothness of the neck. Also, you'll have to find out for your region how many times you should re apply the oil. Some of these expensive oiled necks are dipped in a heated oil blend. Actually many great luthiers spent years making their own oil and application recipies for the best results.
If this guitar is something you care about, I'd do a little more homework on the subject.
BTW...I know a bassist who used to like to sand his necks and he ruined the ones he did. Fortunately they were bolt on, so they could be replaced.
thanks i'm thinking of taking steel wool to the back of the neck and using tung oil on it let you know how it goes. if anyone has anymore information i would be happy to hear it.
i would have to agree with otter, 400 grit is deff NOT to rough to use.

also, if your gonna steel wool it then finish it with tung oil.. your gonna have a hard time sanding it back to wood.

you have two options, sand it down to bare wood with 120/ 200 (what i used) then tung oil it.
or just lightly sand the finish already there with a real high grit sandpaper.

dont combine the two together.
Just call me Bobby
Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list
Quote by mikeyElite
you build guitars worthy of sexual favors

Quote by Invader Jim
if this party gets any livelier a funeral is gonna break out.
If you just steel wool it and all your trying to do is get it smoother and not sticky you should just use the finest steel wool. There will still be a bunch of finish to protect it since all you would do is rough up the top. If you want to sand the paint off completely then your in for a lot of work. If you did do that I would use minwax satin wipe on poly it's great for necks. I wouldn't sand it though i did it on my epi sg and regret it now.
Quote by Dreamality
Before you you sand it, look into it more by asking more pro luthiers. In my opinion 400 grit will ruin your neck, it's too rough. If you use a real high number, you'll have much more control over the amount of finish being taken off, plus the smoothness of the neck. Also, you'll have to find out for your region how many times you should re apply the oil. Some of these expensive oiled necks are dipped in a heated oil blend. Actually many great luthiers spent years making their own oil and application recipies for the best results.
If this guitar is something you care about, I'd do a little more homework on the subject.
BTW...I know a bassist who used to like to sand his necks and he ruined the ones he did. Fortunately they were bolt on, so they could be replaced.

I work as a guitar tech at a music store, we always just use steel wool and then oil it afterward. Ive done it to most of my guitars and haven't had any problems
Quote by 121lespaul
thanks i'm thinking of taking steel wool to the back of the neck and using tung oil on it let you know how it goes. if anyone has anymore information i would be happy to hear it.

Putting tung oil onto the lacquer won't work very well, in my experience.

Also, I don't know what dreamality is talking about with blends of **** and your region and how 400 grit is too rough... what I said, what 420FREAK said, and what metalwarrior40 said is all you need.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Quote by 121lespaul
ok thanks i think im just gonna steel wool it. should i just get the finest i can find or is there a certain one i should use?

I used 0000 since that's what I have for around guitar stuff, it's the finest and I think everything else would be too rough.
Quote by Øttər
Putting tung oil onto the lacquer won't work very well, in my experience.

Also, I don't know what dreamality is talking about with blends of **** and your region and how 400 grit is too rough... what I said, what 420FREAK said, and what metalwarrior40 said is all you need.

Read this tech article for another perspective and leave your narcissistic attitude in check...

http://www.edroman.com/techarticles/1500g.htm

I've also read other tech articles from wood experts who agree that climate and recipe of the oil treatment is an important attribute to sustain the same integrity of the wood. Just google it...
^Ed romans view points are always really contreversial.

And 400 grit is really fine. It will be fine (worked on my tele's gloss neck).
Ed Roman is a twat.

Putting a poly finish on the neck of an electric guitar won't have any noticeable difference in sound comapared to an oiled neck.

And also, he might want to spend all this research and stuff on oils and whatnot, but I found a simpler approach.

1) Went to home depot.

2) Bought some tung oil

3) Sanded my neck

4) Put tung oil on

Total cost: $19.32 Canadian.
Total Time: 4 days.
Result: Fastest neck I've ever played.

I don't mean to put down your opinions, but make sure you have decent evidence to back them up. My evidence is firsthand, and it works for me.

Anyway if you want to continue this covnersartion just leave me emssages in my profile, I don't want either of us to get warned for fighting.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo