I decided I want to start.Im not one of those that relly want to play,but just play for a month or so & quit after geting a guitar.I plan on playing 2-6hrs everyday.Or at least an hour,just depends on freetime.What is a good quality guitar?I want a six string right hand.I have large hands,long fingers,& all my fingers are double jointed.Most guitars,the neck is to narrow for me.I tested out a esp ltd viper 400 & it was very comfortable.I also liked the look.Is it a good guitar?I want a guitar that will last & stay in tune.Im relly confused about all these different pickups also(emg,duncans etc.).What is the real differance?The type of music I will play is rock/metal.I just want to make sure im geting a good guitar before I drop $300-$700 into one.My dad,he is 49.Been playing since he was 13.He doesn't play as much as he use to,but he still plays.He is going to help me with chords etc.He doesn't know much about the newer guitars,neither do I.Thats why I came on here to find out more about them before I bought one.Any help is appreciated!!
Thanks
what amp do you have, plan on getting?? This is important too.
Call me Cam
Quote by DirtyMakik
I'm Han Solo, Splamron's Greedo.

Han shot first. Greedo's dead.
One thing you'll hear a lot is "Try out a lot of guitars," and there is a LOT of truth to that.

You need to figure out what kind of music you want to learn as your primary style. While you can play any genre of music with any guitar, different guitars are better at playing different styles.

You need to figure out what guitars feel comfortable for you to play- not just for neck size, but the general shape of the thing. I like the way "pointy" guitars like Flying V's look, but I can't stand the way they feel when I play them. They're simply not for me.

I started out on a cheap Alvarez, played it to death, and replaced it with an Ovation Elite (full bowl)- I've enjoyed that guitar since 1990 or so. Eventually, I got an electric- a Dean EVO Special Select.

There are lots of decent guitars (electric, accoustic, hybrids) out there from all kinds of manufacturers (big name, boutique).

Before settling on my Dean, I also tried the Fernandes Ravelle and the Ibanez Artcores. I love them, but they weren't what I was looking for at that time. (They're still on my list!) Recent additions to my "I want them" list include the Malden Subhuman and some of the high-end First Act guitars.
I probly played on almost half of the electric guitars in my local shop.And the viper seemed in my range & was comfortable all around.I won't have a nice amp till I get my tax check in 09.I will be using a old crate that has a 10" in it.I think I will be happy with it until I get beter.Don't know alot about amps either.I don't like the sound & size of accoustic.I like solid body electrics.I know alot might think im weird,but I don't like fender strat/stradascasters,the design.The dean EVO looks nice.Thanks for the reply dannyalcatraz!Do you know anyone on here that has the guitar im looking for(viper 400)?
Also,is it bad that im double jointed in all my fingers?Or could it actualy help when I get beter?
The only thing that might be bad about being double jointed is if you can't hold your fingers in a strong arch over the fretboard- you'll turn certain chords into barres at inappropriate times.
My advice is as you have done just play any guitar that you are interested in and see what you like after sound guitars are mostly personal preference for the player
Ibanez RG7321
Jackson Randy Rhoads V with Floyd Rose
Peavey Valveking 112
Digitech RP70 Guitar Processor
Play many, many guitars. Decide what type of music to play, then fit your eqipment to match. Don't start with a Gibson Studio Les Paul, but don't go for the crappiest guitar there either. Get something that sounds good and looks good, within your price range.
Rip Kylee Harris 4.13.93-11.28.08
Quote by Capt_Clarkson
tell him that he is the drummer and that his opinions are invalid

Quote by Jim Harkins
I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather. Not screaming in terror like his passengers.

everything that is said here is true but if you but if you want a recomendation since your a beginner, i would say maybe a squier bullet strat, or maybe an epiphone les paul studio, the strat runs at 100 bucks and the les paul runs at 200 bucks, theres also the les paul special ll and the sg special, those run at 170
I would advise to put a bulk of the budget towards a nicer amp, and then to get any cheap guitar which you feel comfortable with. A better amp will make any guitar sound better, while nothing discourages like an expensive guitar which just doesn't sound right because you bought the cheapest amp in the store to go with it.
Fender Japan Stratocaster Ibanez Pro540 Power Ibanez Pro540 Saber Ibanez 430S Ibanez S540 Charvel LSXIII w/GraphTech Ghost MIDI Parker Fly Artist Ibanez S1220 Mesa F30 Roland GR20 Roland Microcube + IBANEZ TREMS STILL SUCK!
I don't know about that...to some, you can hear the difference between guitars even through the worst of amps. Your mileage may vary.

HOWEVER, what I did was I spent the bulk of my money on as good a guitar as I could.

Then, instead of buying an amp right out of the gate, I bought a Korg Px4 (which does essentially the same thing as a Line 6 POD 2.0) and played through some good headphones.

It cost a little less than a practice amp, and it let me experiment with a wide variety of effects- clean or distorted, phased, reverbed, etc.- and amp types...some of which remain far outside of my budget.

In addition, since the Korg (and the POD) are about the size of a Walkman, they're extremely portable- you can hook one to your belt or guitar strap. And since you play through your headphones, you won't disturb anyone with your practice.

A last benefit- once you settle on an amp, you can still use a Korg/Pod with it.

Once you've used one of those for a while, you'll have a clear idea of what kind of amp and pedals you want...and will probably be able to afford it, too.

Line 6 POD 2.0
http://www.zzounds.com/item--LINPOD20

Korg Px4
http://www.zzounds.com/item--KORPX4D
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Dec 29, 2008,
^ that's an idea. I personally wouldn't get a pocket modeller as a first amp, but it's worked for people. I use my pod to fuck around sometimes, but I find them useless for playing with tones rather than presets, and they all sound horrible outside of headphones unless you have a hi-fi amp and a set of home speakers that can handle guitar frequencies.

I'm coming more from a point that no matter which modelling amp/multifx you get, any guitar will more or less sound the same through it; that's what modellers are for - giving you a semblance of what expensive gear sounds like on a welfare budget. Whether you get a $200 guitar or a $700 guitar, when you plug it into a modeller, the difference will be close to nil as long as the pickup output is close.

Then, I've more than once heard the sentiment from folks who start playing that a short time into it they realize that they want a different guitar. Those who spent a couple hundred on their first Squier/Epi/second-hand-Ibanez-GIO go and spend their savings on the axe they really want, now that they know their own needs and likes. Those who bought an expensive fancy EMG-loaded beast sit there and mutter since they don't have much in terms of savings, and their guitar, while specced nicely, is from a Korean sub-brand and isn't worth much on resale market, and they only get lowball offers on their craigslist ad.

Just my opinion, start with a cheap guitar, then get what you want when you're qualified to know what you want. A decent amp will grow with you, but a guitar you're not feeling won't. Then again, YMMV.
Fender Japan Stratocaster Ibanez Pro540 Power Ibanez Pro540 Saber Ibanez 430S Ibanez S540 Charvel LSXIII w/GraphTech Ghost MIDI Parker Fly Artist Ibanez S1220 Mesa F30 Roland GR20 Roland Microcube + IBANEZ TREMS STILL SUCK!
so back to the original question is the ESP LTD Viper 400 a good guitar, absolutely yes it is a very good guitar! My son wanted an SG, I found the sinster SG styling of the Viper very appealing and never looked back.

I've had several vipers 100, 200, 300, 301, 400 and my newest 2006 500 all vipers, each one had a nice solid feel and full sound, the 301 and under have passive pickups the 400 and 500 have active pickups(active requires a battery in the guitar) , I still have the 301 and 500. both are different yet both are very simular too. also in the mix were a few ESP LTD EC Series and a few Epiphones

for a beginner on a tighter budget I would strongly suggest preowned equipment, you'll save @ least 50% on your gear. find a few local shops and try a few out for size and comfort, then search e-bay or craigslist
a viper 400 should run anywhere from $250 - $450 on ebay 550 - 650 new.

there are also several "online stores" use them for pricing and gathering info, if you think your ready to pull the trigger on a certain item bring your pricing into the local shop and let them have a stab at it not only will you be helping your local economy but you will have an addtional resource to ask questions

another good used gear resource are pawn shops, some specialize in music equipment and may have @ least one person very knowledgable willing to answer many questions

a good amp ........... the choices are so numerious it is mind numbing, my first amp was a borrowed Fender princeton chorus 125 watt combo with 2-10" speakers so much power it was never set over 2 on the volume ( for in house practice) several single 10" speaker combo models are available and sound good at a descent price, go with solid state @ first.
there is a big want for a tube amp, and they do have there place, once you get to gigging regularly and know exactly what sound you want should you even consider a tube amp.

do a few searches on combo amps and you'll see everyone is all over the board on which one to get, I got real lucky with the fender and would recommend it to anyone.

as far as lasting a long time and staying in tune ......... that will depend on how you care for it , as far as tuning is concerned , I check my tuning every time I play which is only a few times per week......... my 301, and 500 usually always check in perfect maybe a tweak once in a while, addtionally strings will have an effect on tuning as well just another thing to get overwhelmed with which brand which size how often to change, after play care (wiping it down etc) use this site as one of several sources and be open to changing gear
buying a guitar doesn't mean you HAVE to keep it forever.
I hope you find what your looking for and good luck

BKG
Midskier = Midwest American Skier Boats
Barefooter = Waterskier WITHOUT Skis
www.footngear.com
Thanks for all the help guys!I don't care much for a good amp right now.I don't plan on playing loud or making a concert anytime soon lol.The amp I have have now has enough different adjusments to suite me for the moment.I called a local pawn shop & they have a viper vb 200 for $150.Whats a baritone?Lol sorry I just don't know.Im guessing its the legnth?He said the guy had a bunch of stickers on it.Is theyre any way to get them off all the way with out messing up the finish?
A baritone guitar is one that is built with larger dimensions- almost the size of a bass, really- and as a result, plays in a lower register.
well, for a beginner, i wouldn't get a PRS or anything, so i suggest an epiphone. they run pretty cheap and it's a good quality. i have an epi g-400 and it's amazing.
A few things:

1) As far as tones go, the amp WILL make most of your tone. That doesn't mean you can't get a guitar suited for your preferred styles now, just know that it won't show its full potential until you get a better amp (preferably also suited toward your style/genres)
2) While I don't own one, I do remember trying out a Viper 400 in Sam Ash one time. It felt rather nice to play, but the pickups sounded terrible to me. I'd recommend looking into something with passive pickups (active pickups=EMGs, Blackouts, things like that; passive pickups=most Seymour Duncans, Dimarzios, and pickups on most Epiphones and Fenders). I can't really say too much about the playability, though. It seemed rather good, although the particular guitar in the stpre had an intonation problem making anything above the 10th or 11th fret sound weird. That shouldn't happen on yours, though. I will agree with you that it is a nice looking guitar, however
3) It seems you're kind of set on getting the Viper, but don't be afraid to keep looking. Try things like the Epiphone G-400, a Fender Fat Strat (HSS configuration, even though you said you don't like Fender's sound, this has a humbucker in the bridge so it's worth a shot), maybe a Schecter of some sort, things like that.

Hope I helped somehow.
I say get a mid range guitar that way if you end up quitting it wont be a huge loss, sorry ive tried to teach friends guitar but they quit shortly thereafter.
Ibanez RG7321
Jackson Randy Rhoads V with Floyd Rose
Peavey Valveking 112
Digitech RP70 Guitar Processor