Im trying to write some deathcore songs (lead and rhythm guitars) but I am stuck. Every time I play something, I find that it is too similar to another deathcore band's song. What techniques, theory, and other help should I learn or practice before I start writing again.
What is deathcore? Also, if you trying to write 'deathcore' music, aren't you normally going to have similar music to other 'deathcore' bands? Not trying to be an ass, just trying to ask a question.

Just learn the usuals, riffs in aeolian or phygrian, palm muting, pinch harmonics, and tremolo picking.
Play to a metronome a lot. but a lot of deathcore bands sound pretty similar, Diversifying in your musical tastes always helps you think outside the box.
Quote by randomdude

Just learn the usuals, riffs in aeolian or phygrian, palm muting, pinch harmonics, and tremolo picking.

That's an easy way to be come "Just another ______ band" though. Try out things that aren't usual for your genre.
Master the basics of the genre as stated above,
find something in another type of music you like
make it an element of yours.
Quote by Tiki Rock
Every time I play something, I find that it is too similar to another deathcore band's song

most deathcore,metalcore sounds the same or similar, mainly cause they all do an open note on the sixth string then 5/7/8/10 on the fifth string. i dont think it really matters if it sounds similar
Quote by slayerfrk
most deathcore,metalcore sounds the same or similar, mainly cause they all do an open note on the sixth string then 5/7/8/10 on the fifth string. i dont think it really matters if it sounds similar

It gets real boring, real fast. Try to make the genre "you".
This is my first time songwriting so I want to start off doing a well known genre before I start experimenting. BTW, my influences are Knights of the Abyss, Whitechapel, and Despised Icon, just to name a few.
Quite honestly you could take all three of those bands and equate their collective originality to the first few minutes of John Cage's 4'33''

I think the problem with all those bands is, as a poster above mentioned, there are too many Es...