Page 1 of 3
In other words, hard metal guitar and drums with inoffensive and optomistic vocals.

I know a few years ago, before the advent of that damnable Slipknot and other steriotypical angry and "emo" (a classification I refuse to admit exists) bands such a thing would have been accepted, but now it is becoming increasingly difficult to find love songs set to hard metal. Virtually impossible, in fact. And no category exists for such a group.

So again I pose the question to the audience; do new metal listeners listen for the sole purpose of hearing depressing and angry lyrics? Can inspiring songs exist now? Your thoughts.
Since when has Metal been inspiring and optimistic?
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
1. metal is abrasive by nature. Do'nt like it - stop ****ing listening to it.
2. If that's all you think metal is, head over to the recommendation thread and open your ears.

“Who are you then?.."
"- I am part of that power which eternally wills evil and eternally works good.”
KULTURKAMPF
lastFM
You obviously haven't listened to very much metal. If any at all. If you think Slipknot ruined metal, then I don't even think you know what metal is.
Fine then, messege recieved. But my point still stands. Could such a thing exist under the classification of metal? Or would it simple fall outside of the accepted category into something completely new?
Quote by Emenius Sleepus
1. metal is abrasive by nature. Do'nt like it - stop ****ing listening to it.
2. If that's all you think metal is, head over to the recommendation thread and open your ears.

+1 Harsh and true words.
Rip Kylee Harris 4.13.93-11.28.08
Quote by Capt_Clarkson
tell him that he is the drummer and that his opinions are invalid

Quote by Jim Harkins
I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather. Not screaming in terror like his passengers.

Quote by GrammerAngel
Fine then, messege recieved. But my point still stands. Could such a thing exist under the classification of metal? Or would it simple fall outside of the accepted category into something completely new?

Metal is usually angry.....

Force fed broken glass angry.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
I just realized your screen name has a misspelling....
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
I see, then.

Well, I suppose it can't be helped.
Thank you, gentlemen, I guess what I'm writing is not metal, but isn't anything else, either. Soft metal, i suppose, is the appropriate and only term.

Yeah, I know about the mispelling. I did it on purpose. Long story...
Quote by Emenius Sleepus
you have a lot of power metal listen to, then. Off ya go

+1 to this, if you think there are no positive lyrics in metal then clearly you've never listened to Helloween or many other power metal bands.
Quote by GrammerAngel
I see, then.

Well, I suppose it can't be helped.
Thank you, gentlemen, I guess what I'm writing is not metal, but isn't anything else, either. Soft metal, i suppose, is the appropriate and only term.

Yeah, I know about the mispelling. I did it on purpose. Long story...

Be prepared for constant correction. You're probably familiar with Hard Rock, Nu Metal and Metalcore.....
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Metal is a timeless genre, it doesn't have a 4-month lifespan like, say, pop or rap. Stuff from the 80s is still popular. It will never "die out" and the lyrical themes won't either. Most of today's Traditional and Power, also Prog. metal bands barely have any "offensive" lyrics in them.

Besides, "offensive" is too broad of a word, as it is different in each culture.
Quote by GrammerAngel
optomistic

Quote by GrammerAngel
steriotypical

Mmm, yes, so tasty.
Like rusty wire infused with tabasco.

Also, you're a total gimp. Emo has been a real genre longer than the internet has existed and Slipknot are not of that genre. You obviously know as much about metal as I know about thermonuclear physics and it's effect on small woodland creatures. Grow up and go listen to some real metal, then come back and try and say the same.
Last edited by Magero at Dec 29, 2008,
Power metal, folk/viking metal can be uplifting and aggressive at the same time.

As far as love songs, I can't think of any "happy" ones, but Insomnium comes to mind for love songs in general.
Emo has been a real genre. It's just that so much ****ty pop influence has gone into it and ****ed it up completely. There is hardly any "real" emo around now. I'm talking about SDRE and Rites of Spring.
True, stuff like Cap'n Jazz is really nothing like garbage like From First to Last. That being said, I don't really like 'true" emo either, it's just a lot less annoying than the modern stuff.
Last edited by piratemetalhead at Dec 29, 2008,
Quote by Scourge441
TS should listen to Ayreon.

+1
Catch me,
heal me,
Lift me back up to the Sun
I choose to live
Not just power metal, but prog bands too. It's an overdone example, but Dream Theater would be an easily place to start, in terms of that. Definitely less "harsh" or "abrasive", and easily more uplifting, than the metal (well, metalcore and the like) bands you seem to be thinking of.

The new Cynic album, Traced in Air, would be good too. It's less Death-infused than Focus.
Alot of prog metal bands like dream theater or symphony x have alot of uplifting,
i hate the guy, but james labrie would probably make you penis happy.

edit: beat to it
O what a disgrace if such a despised and base race, which worships demons, should conquer a people which has the faith of omnipotent God and is made glorious with the name of Christ!

The music winners listen to
All the Progressive and Avant Garde bands?
Quote by IbanezSA160a
Ug's Drunken Irishman prevails over existence once again +All UG'S Point to you my drunken irish friend.

Black/Folk Metal
Quote by GrammerAngel
In other words, hard metal guitar and drums with inoffensive and optomistic vocals.

I know a few years ago, before the advent of that damnable Slipknot and other steriotypical angry and "emo" (a classification I refuse to admit exists) bands such a thing would have been accepted, but now it is becoming increasingly difficult to find love songs set to hard metal. Virtually impossible, in fact. And no category exists for such a group.

So again I pose the question to the audience; do new metal listeners listen for the sole purpose of hearing depressing and angry lyrics? Can inspiring songs exist now? Your thoughts.

You sound like Jeremy Kyle.

And if youre looking for love songs set to 'hard metal' - Bathory: Bestial Lust.

This is a late contender for worst thread of the year.
Quote by Ultraussie
I want to try that while playing the opening riff to "Tempting Time".

0-0-0-13-0-0-0-0-13 or something like that alalalala but It;s so heavy and off time and awesome and you could not f**k anyone to it.

Quote by Ingested
burzum IS nazi. well, varg is.
My fav genres are Power/Prog and Melodic Metal. If you want to hear some awesome bands PM me. They exist and they're are many. Evergrey, Nocturnal Rites, Avantasia, Ayreon, Hammerfall, Stratovarius. Sonata Arctica, and many many more...
The most talented man on earth...
Quote by GrammerAngel

i'm tempted to ticket you just for being retarded. i swear there's nothing more annoying than hearing the phrase "hard metal"
Quote by kvltpolice666
i'm tempted to ticket you just for being retarded. i swear there's nothing more annoying than hearing the phrase "hard metal"

Hard Metal, Heavy Metal who cares it's all metal. What people tend to miss is that the sub genres of metal are still metal. Beats listening to CRAP any day.
Quote by destroy_techno
You missed the fact that there's no such thing as "hard metal"

You missed the fact that I said "Who cares" Who decided to call the genres what they are? If someone wants to make there own up so be it. Look at all the dumb genre names already...
Quote by DeadIdentity81
You missed the fact that I said "Who cares" Who decided to call the genres what they are? If someone wants to make there own up so be it. Look at all the dumb genre names already...

You obviously haven't grasped the concept of sub genres

Please take the 5 minutes it takes to understand the sub genres of metal before calling them dumb
Quote by destroy_techno
You obviously haven't grasped the concept of sub genres

Please take the 5 minutes it takes to understand the sub genres of metal before calling them dumb

They are dumb and thats my opinion. So we have Death Metal, why do we need DeathCore? In the end its all Metal and that's all that matters.
Because Death Metal and Deathcore sound different
I’m not the man I used to be, I... I can’t go back to Arkham.

I... I should return to Arkham.

Among the churchyard’s mouldering stones I recognise a name – my own.
I have come home to Arkham.

Quote by DeadIdentity81
They are dumb and thats my opinion. So we have Death Metal, why do we need DeathCore? In the end its all Metal and that's all that matters.

Deathcore is a mix of Death metal and Metalcore, they sound very different

Compare Bring Me The Horizon to Morbid Angel
Page 1 of 3