Do you think it is very beneficial to practice the same exercises everyday?

I have a few exercises that I practice every day to build speed, and was wondering if I am really doing any good just doing these same exercises, or should I try and mix it up more?

I pretty much just start my routine with the metronome at about 100 then move it up to 140 gradually (my current max), and after I reach my max I just play some other songs at about that tempo and fiddle around a little bit.

Need some practicing tips if anyone has some!
Gibson SG Standard
Ibanez S2170FB
Peavey JSX
Marshall 1960A
TEXAS A&M
Great ! now i'm asking myself the same question. . .
Sorryz for me bad engrish.

Quote by OnlyIbanez12
I just cut myself shaving my pubes...
I know one thing, you shouldn't be doing guitar exercises every day. It's just like any other work out regimen, if you're not taking a day or two off every week then the muscles in your hands won't have time to heal and develop from your exercises and you'll make little if any progress.
to help with speed try going up on bpm with the metronome until you can't possibly keep up. also, try some improv everyday. always aim high. Like the old cliche saying, "Aim for the moon. Even if you miss you'll land among the stars."
not sure i agree with that dude(dude being dave_higland for now). . .
and anyway i cannot not play guitar a day!
Sorryz for me bad engrish.

Quote by OnlyIbanez12
I just cut myself shaving my pubes...
Quote by Geezus
not sure i agree with that dude(dude being dave_higland for now). . .
and anyway i cannot not play guitar a day!

How long have you been playing? cause I've been playing long enough to know that a day or two off a week is vital to progressing as a guitarist, every guitarist figures it out at some point or another. It usualy happens when someone just doesn't have the time to play guitar for a few days and when they finaly get a spare moment they come to find out that they're playing with ease that they just didn't have a few days earlier. It's a pretty well known fact that any muscle being exercised NEEDS TO REST TO DEVELOPE, if you don't give those muscles time to develope then they won't.
Last edited by david_highland at Dec 29, 2008,
Quote by david_highland
How long have you been playing, cause I've been playing long enough to know that a day or two off a week is vital to progressing as a guitarist, every guitarist figures it out at some point or another. It usualy happens when someone just doesn't have the time to play guitar for a few days and when they finaly get a spare moment they come to find out that they're playing with ease that they just didn't have a few days earlier. It's a pretty well known fact that any muscle being exercised NEEDS TO REST TO DEVELOPE, if you don't give those muscles time to develope then they won't.

Actually, i know exactly what you are saying, I have been in that exact same situation where I miss a day, then the next day im a lot better that i was, eeventhough i missed a day.

So just "take the day off" and improvise, or practice easier songs? what do you think?
Gibson SG Standard
Ibanez S2170FB
Peavey JSX
Marshall 1960A
TEXAS A&M
Quote by sacamano79
Actually, i know exactly what you are saying, I have been in that exact same situation where I miss a day, then the next day im a lot better that i was, eeventhough i missed a day.

So just "take the day off" and improvise, or practice easier songs? what do you think?

Ideally you should take it real easy on your hands, meaning you shouldn't play guitar at all that includes pretty much any strenuous activity involving your hands, but playing a little probably wouldn't hurt, just noodling around a little playing easier down tempo material.
Quote by sacamano79

I pretty much just start my routine with the metronome at about 100 then move it up to 140 gradually (my current max)

"Practicing speed by increasing the metronome all the time is one way to do it... if
you want it to take a LONG time."

That's a near direct quote from someone who knows what they're talking about.
I'd only add "if ever." to the end of that sentence.

Understanding speed means understanding and being aware of all the movements
you need to do and feeling different ways you can express the rhythms in time to
the beat. You'll have a hard time doing that by pushing the metronome all the
time. Yet, that's what most people seem to do, and that's mostly those that
don't understand how speed develops from practice that doesn't look like
"speed practice" on the surface.
+1

You can't practice speed because it doesn't really exist, it's a reflection of your skill rather than a skill in itself.

What you can practice are all those things that will affect your ability to play fast...accuracy, synchronisation, timing, dexterity, finger independence, fretboard knowledge and stamina. If any of those things is lacking then that is what's preventing you from playing fast, and chances are it's all of them.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Last edited by steven seagull at Dec 29, 2008,