Hey I've always wondered, does boling strings and baking them afterwards really help keep their sound longer?

i've heard about this from a few of my friends but when i ask my guitar teacher he says he's never done that to keep his strings fresh
I've heard from several people that boiling your strings cleans them and makes them sound fresh but I've never heard that it makes it last longer
I leik music
I'd rather use a string cleaner like Fast Fret to keep strings clean on the guitar rather than take them off, boil them and put them back on.

I imagine unwinding and rewinding the strings would weaken them and lead to breakage at the tuner.
My friend used to do it for his bass guitar. But its really not worth the time or the effort, and your better off just buying a new set off strings
I leik music
not heard of baking them, but yeah boiling them will help remove dirt etc and brighten them up in terms of tone momentarily - it's an old school thing - people don't tend to bother these days

they dont tend to last long tho - if I find myself in that position, I use contact cleaner to clean the strings on the guitar - much better
EPILPSTDYamahaRBX100BassTanglewoodTW28/STRFenderchamp600CubaseStudio5Saffirepro40AlesisM1ActiveMKIIMAudioKeystation88RodeNT1AShureSM57KeeleyModTS9MackieMCUwww.myspace.com/cuthbertgriswald
I think Clapton was supposed to have done this as well back in the day. I tried it a couple of times, made a bit of a difference I guess but really with all the dicking around it was less hassle to just walk down the road and spend the whole $10 on a new set
bass players will boil used strings to make them sound new again. it never lasts long though. (bass strings are expensive.)
as far as boiling and baking them, my guess is it would do nothing for them. If it did do something, my guess is it would be detrimental to the strings. Guitar strings arent that expensive anyway, just buy fresh ones every month or so.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
i heard if you boil the string it makes you the best guitar player ever
Quote by ILuvPillows?
Masturbate it off.
I'm gonna try that...do you think I have to take them off my guitar?
Quote by acetherockstar
Hey I've always wondered, does boling strings and baking them afterwards really help keep their sound longer?

i've heard about this from a few of my friends but when i ask my guitar teacher he says he's never done that to keep his strings fresh

No, it does not.

In the 50's and 60's guitarists would sometimes boil old strings to clean them up and get a bit more life (like, a day) out of them because strings were expensive and also damned hard to find.

Strings are now dirt cheap and you can get them anywhere...there's no reason whatsoever to even consider boiling them.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
I would advise against boiling strings - it makes it physically impossible to have accurate intonation.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Quote by Tempoe
I'm gonna try that...do you think I have to take them off my guitar?

no, leave them on there and just pour the boiling water on your guitar
Quote by madh4ttr
no, leave them on there and just pour the boiling water on your guitar

baked guitar afterwards..mmmm
Baron K2 SE 120
MILLS 4x12 Afterburner
Eventide TimeFactor Delays
ISP Pro Rack G Noise Suppressor
BKP Warpig pickups