I finally bought a classical guitar (takamine EG522C) and I'm pretty sure its a great guitar but the only thing that I noticed thats strange with it is that it goes out of tune very quickly. My question is that is it a common thing for classical guitars to get out of tune quickly or is there something I should check?

Or it might just be that im used to my electrics that rarely go out of tune at all.

any help will be greatly appreciated guys!
The Real Deal Holyfield
no, if given that chance i would jizz on that guitar.

they go outta tune way fast. acoustics usually do, nylons way more. nothing that you need to worry about.
Thinner the strings are, the more they give.

e.g. Bass strings generally stay in tune better then electric. Thicker strings, better tunning retention.
Rip Kylee Harris 4.13.93-11.28.08
Quote by Capt_Clarkson
tell him that he is the drummer and that his opinions are invalid

Quote by Jim Harkins
I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather. Not screaming in terror like his passengers.

Did you string it properly? When dealing with my classical I find it much harder to get the actually nylon strings tight because they slip on my fingers when stringing. So the first couple times stringing my classical it went out of tune a little for a while because the string would slip cause I didn't tighten it enough while stringing.
yea i was thinking that it was probably the stretching that was making it go out of tune. Hopefully it will stop soon. I just got it yesterday and when i went to go pick it up today it was horribly out of tune. Thanks for the help guys, hopefully in a few weeks time it will stay in tune a bit longer.

guitarfreak i wasnt the one who strung it, but it looks like the strings are pretty tight (well after I just retuned it), i'll make sure to check that out the next time i tighten or tune the strings.
The Real Deal Holyfield
Quote by buddha
no, if given that chance i would jizz on that guitar.

they go outta tune way fast. acoustics usually do, nylons way more. nothing that you need to worry about.

wow, what a load of crap
my acoustic barely goes out of tune, i just have to finetune it every 3 weeks or so
it's probably because of new string that havent been stretched properly
My Gear:
Simon&Patrick Pro flame maple (so nice)
Epiphone SG-special (cherry red)
Richwood acoustic
Lany 30 Watt amp, not sure what exact model
How long ago since it was strung? 2 days? 3 days? If so, stretch the strings a bit every time you tune it up, play it a crap load, tune it up, play it a crap load, tune it up and in a few days you'll be set.

I once had a concert and foolishly restrung my guitar two days ago. I managed to stretch the strings in that period of time and it stayed perfectly in tune. This said, I played quite a lot those two days, usually it'll take them more like 5 or 6 days to set in really nicely.

Thinner the strings are, the more they give.

If this were to be true, nylons would go more out of tune than electrics. It's not to do with the thickness but the material. Hence why nylons go really out of tune with the heat. Material stretches more than steel.
Last edited by Confusius at Dec 29, 2008,
i tune my classical like twice a day
<\\\SuBLiME\\\> ~ ~ ~~

This is Bunny. Put him in your signature and help him on his way to world domination ...
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
Classical strings need a lot more initial stretching than steel strings. However, do NOT prestretch them like you would with steel strings. You'll mess up your nylon strings.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.