So I've read that not all bass amps can handle the low A string (like with the ADADG tuning). So is there any way how to know if an amp can handle it (like does the wattage or size of speaker determine this?).

I'm going to start with bass soon and was considering to buy the Line6 LowDown 300pro or another lowdown.

Can these handle the low A?
What would other optins be for versatile bass amps which van handle the low A?
████████
████████
████████
A line6 bass amp won't even be able to handle a Low B, I think you should look else where for bass amps. While their guitar amps are alright, the bass amps are HORRIBLE.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
I'm pretty sure it's the speakers and not the amp. (Correct me if I'm wrong)

You should probably get atleast a 1x15 to handle the low A.
Gear!:

Epiphone G400
Marshall JCM 800 4211 Combo
Karmer Forum III
Schecter Stiletto Deluxe 5
Holden Graphic something bass amp? (eh it's 300 watts!)
Some sort of 1x15 cab.
anything with at least a 115 should do the job

and yeah it doesnt have much to do with the amp
Quote by guitarhero_764
I think you need to stop caring what people think about it. I stayed home all day today and masturbated like 5 times. Fucking blast.

Ibanez ATK300 ◈ Sansamp VT Bass ◈ EHX Nano Small Stone ◈ Hartke LH500 ◈ Ashdown/Celestion 115
Eh i dont know about 15's, my rumble could barely handle a low B
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Quote by fatgoogle

Then maybe its time to drag out "el whappo grande"
Quote by guitarhero_764
I think you need to stop caring what people think about it. I stayed home all day today and masturbated like 5 times. Fucking blast.

Ibanez ATK300 ◈ Sansamp VT Bass ◈ EHX Nano Small Stone ◈ Hartke LH500 ◈ Ashdown/Celestion 115
Ah weres the 30", were is the 30"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! thats pretty impressive though.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Quote by fatgoogle

But my 15" handles it perfectly. It will vary massively amp to amp.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Thanks for the answers
so to play mostly metal and hard rock and to handle the low A (with a budget of around 600) which amp would be better of the ones mentioned (for band practice and small gigs) :
fender rumble 100 or ashdown five fifteen or maybe something else?

Also for effect, I just want an overdrive and wah to begin with, is it better to buy a separate wah and overdrive pedal or a multieffect like the Digitech bp200 (again, to handle a low A)
████████
████████
████████
Quote by ChemicalFire
While their guitar amps are alright, the bass amps are HORRIBLE.

Dear god, you have to be kidding.
"Alright" to describe a line 6? The only people I have ever known to think line 6s are 'alright' are 13 year old metalheads who can't play guitar and strum open D on the insane setting thinking they are the new kerry king.
Quote by Skywalker007
Thanks for the answers
so to play mostly metal and hard rock and to handle the low A (with a budget of around 600) which amp would be better of the ones mentioned (for band practice and small gigs) :
fender rumble 100 or ashdown five fifteen or maybe something else?

Also for effect, I just want an overdrive and wah to begin with, is it better to buy a separate wah and overdrive pedal or a multieffect like the Digitech bp200 (again, to handle a low A)

I would invest the money for effects into a better amp. Something like an Ashdown MAG 300 or a Warwick Sweet 15 is far better than either of the two you listed. I can vouch that the Warwick can handle down to a low B very well, and I'm sure the many owners of MAG 300s on this site will vouch for the Ashdown.

If you are dead set on effects, or for later on, any bass specific ones should do fine. Some guitar ones could be fine, just as some bass ones can cut a touch of low end, but look at bass specific for starters.

Quote by elliott FTW

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Dont get eitheir of those amps, Look into hartke and ashdown mags.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Low A is very close to the threshold of human hearing. That's 22.5 Hz, and we can hear 20 Hz (if lucky).

Why bother?

The average listener won't be able to hear it, won't want to hear it, the speaker at a venue or on the listener's home system won't produce it, or it will be buried underneath the chugging A string of a guitar in the same tuning.

Of course, that's just my opinion, but if you want to take up bass, why not start at basics and see if you need the extra low-end.
Actually, that A is 27.5 Hz. I think you are thinking of low F/F#.

Quote by elliott FTW

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Quote by Casketcreep
Dear god, you have to be kidding.
"Alright" to describe a line 6? The only people I have ever known to think line 6s are 'alright' are 13 year old metalheads who can't play guitar and strum open D on the insane setting thinking they are the new kerry king.

Oh come off it. Line 6 amps aren't that bad. They're not that good, but they aren't that bad. You just need to work a bit to get decent tone out of it, which people seem to be loathe to do these days.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Oh come off it. Line 6 amps aren't that bad. They're not that good, but they aren't that bad. You just need to work a bit to get decent tone out of it, which people seem to be loathe to do these days.

I tried out a lowdown 150. It had possibly the most bland tone I have every heard. No midrange or cutting power at all. And I was using an ash Warwick through it. It seemed to be a thunderbird in amp form. Just the fundamental, an the flattest, most bland midrange you can imagine.

Quote by elliott FTW

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
It's hard to get a good tone out of them, true. But I'm getting there. It's definately not an exciting tone, this is true. However, I wouldn't say it's "bad". Just a bit... Rumblish.
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
Quote by Nutter_101
It's hard to get a good tone out of them, true. But I'm getting there. It's definately not an exciting tone, this is true. However, I wouldn't say it's "bad". Just a bit... Rumblish.

Considering a lot of people on the forum slay the bland tone of the thunderbird, I think it's a bit unfair to let line 6 off.

On a positive note, the effects on the amp are pretty good. It's just a shame the normal tone has the cutting power of a balloon.

Quote by elliott FTW

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Quote by gm jack
Considering a lot of people on the forum slay the bland tone of the thunderbird, I think it's a bit unfair to let line 6 off.

On a positive note, the effects on the amp are pretty good. It's just a shame the normal tone has the cutting power of a balloon.

The synth mode is actually really quite good. It is monophonic, which I expect quite a few people don't realise. The envelope filter isn't that great, but the octaver and chorus are good, true.
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
Quote by fleaflicker182
Low A is very close to the threshold of human hearing. That's 22.5 Hz, and we can hear 20 Hz (if lucky).

Why bother?

The average listener won't be able to hear it, won't want to hear it, the speaker at a venue or on the listener's home system won't produce it, or it will be buried underneath the chugging A string of a guitar in the same tuning.

Of course, that's just my opinion, but if you want to take up bass, why not start at basics and see if you need the extra low-end.

Well coz Slipknot and Stone Sour are one of my favorite bands and if I'd get a regular bass, I'll probably buy another on for drop b/drop a few months later. So buying a 5 string will let me play all the notes of standard tuning + those needed for drop a.
Also if i get into Vienna Medical college next year, my dad promised me a bass guitar, only one, not 2 (anything below 800, so i'm thinking Schecter C-5)
████████
████████
████████
Many combo Bass amps are shelved at a certain frequency by the manufacturer hence not getting a decent sound below low 'E', Peavey Bass combos especialy the 15" Databass had the bottom end taken out.

What must also be remembered is that the lower the frequency/note the more power/watts needed as it is the low notes that make an underpowered amp start to clip.
G&L L2500
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass 5
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
Dont get line 6. Theyre not THAT bad, but still not really worth the money if you ask me. It takes more work then it should to dial in a good tone.

As for the note being to close to the limits of human hearing, well theres a large debate about that. Your ears can technically not hear below 20hzish. But they pick up the harmonics the string is also oscillating. And your brain can synthesis the fundamental of the note with these harmonics. So even though your ears do not pick up the note, your brain still "hears" it.

But this is irrelevant because the A you want is well above that point.

Now on topic!!! Id recommend anything with a 15 if you want the A to sound really clear. I have 2x12, and the low A you speak of sounds okay, but I really only play a 4 string mostly, and I almost never need it to go that low. So if I really wanted a solid low low A, Id want something with a 15
This info is great! thanks, I've got one more question if you all don't mind. Do effect boxes have tonal limits (I've read some only go to 50Hz), will it work anyway, will it start clipping, will it mute or will the effect box overload and break or something like that. If so, do bass wah and overdrives even exist to support 27.5 Hz?
████████
████████
████████
Some effects pedals will "lose" the low end of the frequency spectrum. It's the same sorta sound as cutting the lows on your EQ.

This is why people say you "lose your low end" if you use a big muff.

Bass effects pedals are designed to avoid this!

Gear:
Fender Standard Jazz Bass
Artec Matrix Pedal Tuner
BBE Optostomp
Boss GEB 7
EHX NYC Big Muff
Ashdown MAG C410T-300
Torque T100BX
GAS-ing for:
Boss SYB5
Behringer Intelligate IG9
speaker size isn't the only consideration when looking for low end response.

the frequency response of the amp will help you figure out how well it will produce the low tones. for example the markbass standard 410neo has a lower frequency response then the markbass standard 115neo. although tehre is considerable inconsistancy on the internet, when i bought my gk neo410 it had a 40hz-20khz frequency response vs 50hz-20khz of the neo 115.

there is also useable frequency response which is a bitch to figure out on most amps.
I would personally either look into a carvin 4x10 neo cab which goes down to 26hz or maybe a 1or2x15 and 2x12 full stack. the full stack would be way cooler imo. but would be total overkill.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu
^ I'd suggest the 2x15". If you use this tuning seriously and not just messing around, then I'd suggest dropping some money on a high-quality rig that can actually handle those frequencies. A 2x15" and a 2x12" will be good, but you should definitely look at the specs.

You can get by with having a frequency response that's slightly higher than your fundamental, but only slightly, and even then, once your ear gets better, you'll want something that can actually handle your tuning.
Millie, my Peavey Grind Fiver
Peavey BAM 210 350w combo amp
Sansamp Bass Driver DI
Modded Ernie Ball VP Jr.
Monster Bass Cable, 21'

Quote by NakedBassist
Welcome to bass, you'll f*cking love it
Quote by Jonnomainman
Some effects pedals will "lose" the low end of the frequency spectrum. It's the same sorta sound as cutting the lows on your EQ.

This is why people say you "lose your low end" if you use a big muff.

Bass effects pedals are designed to avoid this!

However, some will still have trouble with notes that low.

Take the Crybaby Bass for example. It doesn't effect the lowest frequencies. Normally, this means that you maintain a strong fundamental while the wah hits the upper harmonics on lower notes. On that low A, most of the prominent harmonics will probably miss the sweep as well, so it is likely to have a poorer sweep than on a low E. Not tried it out, but it's an example of try before buying as there could be complications.

Quote by elliott FTW

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
to quote Mikael Åkerfeldt from opeth when i saw them in manchester a few weeks ago.

"metal bands only downtune to hide their crappy riffs"

There are of course a few exceptions but i stand by what he said. There is no need for anything lower than a low B on a 5 string, anything else just becomes inaudable.

x
Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Warwick Corvette $$
Rockbass Streamer Fretless
Hartke HA5000
SWR Triad

Quote by Victory2134
I happen to enjoy every mankiss from shinhoman.
Y why dont you tune up and play high.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Quote by shinhoman
to quote Mikael Åkerfeldt from opeth when i saw them in manchester a few weeks ago.

There are of course a few exceptions but i stand by what he said. There is no need for anything lower than a low B on a 5 string, anything else just becomes inaudable.

x

And people were saying that you don't need any lower than a low E when 5ers first hit the markets. Look where the low B is now.

Genres like doom meal and stoner rock love the heavily downtuned, fuzzed out bass. Death metal makes heavy use of downtuning. It won't be long before low B strings start getting heavily downtuned as well.

Quote by elliott FTW

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Quote by shinhoman

x

A good riff is a good riff and a bad riff is a bad riff no matter what tuning its played in