I've heard some of these but they sound pretty trebly and muddy... are they as good as the price tag would suggest?
Gear:
Peavey JSX Head
Ibanez PGM301
Randall R212CB

Simple.
I tried one out in birmingham at the music show...

It was good... but yeah, i thought it was kinda muddy. nowhere near a decent mesa, engl or peavy... or marshall... or orange actually... or trace elliot... or most other amps actually haha

but yeah... it was alright, had good features but... ive played many amps that are better.
Gear:

Mesa/boogie dual rectifier
Fender Telecaster USA
Epiphone Les Paul
Epiphone Sheraton
Jackson KE3 Kelly Pro
Boss Super Chorus
Boss Super Overdrive
MXR Carbon Copy
Morley Pro Series Wah/Volume/Distortion
t.bone wireless system.
You gotta go try one out extensivley if your interested in an amp that price. If your seriously interested in one PM me and I'll send you the mobile number of the guy who does the distribution in the UK.

I've toyed with the idea of getting one several times and come really close but I cant justify £2000 for a head.

I absolutley love em, I dont think they sound muddy at all. Like any amp its all about how you set em up but I found it to have loads of clarity no matter how much gain you pile on. They do have massive bottom end and there does seem to be a bit of a hollow spot in the mids which makes it strange to play through for me but I still really like it. Its hard to explain.

They can sound overly harsh if you want em to but again most amps can. There not the most agressive sounding Diezel, the Herbert is even more Metal than the VH4 but i'd go for the VH4.
Quote by jscustomguitars
You gotta go try one out extensivley if your interested in an amp that price. If your seriously interested in one PM me and I'll send you the mobile number of the guy who does the distribution in the UK.

I've toyed with the idea of getting one several times and come really close but I cant justify £2000 for a head.

I absolutley love em, I dont think they sound muddy at all. Like any amp its all about how you set em up but I found it to have loads of clarity no matter how much gain you pile on. They do have massive bottom end and there does seem to be a bit of a hollow spot in the mids which makes it strange to play through for me but I still really like it. Its hard to explain.

They can sound overly harsh if you want em to but again most amps can. There not the most agressive sounding Diezel, the Herbert is even more Metal than the VH4 but i'd go for the VH4.

Yeah man I get what you're saying. I just found a pretty good deal for one, but I'm thinking there might be a catch. I have never played one which is a risk.
I did listen to the Herbert and it was probably the best metal tone I've heard, but the VH4 doesn't seem to match up to it.

I'm really tempted to get a Randall RM100 (I've spoken about it in another thread) but I'd have to change some of the modules, and I don't know how much hassle that would be.
Gear:
Peavey JSX Head
Ibanez PGM301
Randall R212CB

Simple.
The vh4 does something no metal people seem to use almost ever. And its something that I think Adam Jones is teh shiz for doing.

Its called power amp distortion.

Yeah I know right? When's the last time a metal conversation EVER lead to power tube distortion.

Quite simply, if you up the preamp gain to 11 and keep the power amp saturation at a minimum, well you aren't going to get the best out of a vh4. They are almost designed for power amp distortion.

Try it out next time. Keep the gain at 4ish and pump the volume until your ears bleed.
Pain is an illusion.
Schecter Hellraiser C-1 w/ Seymour Duncan JB/Jazz Combo
Pitchblack | Bad Horsie 2 | DS-1 | BF-2 | ISP Decimator | DD6
YouTube Channel
Yeah, the RM100's are awesome too. The fact you can change the modules is am awesome idea that works really well. There dead easy to wsitch, theres just a screw either side of each module that undo and they just pull out.

Only thing you'd have to figure into the price is the extra modules you'd have to buy on top of the amp. The KH ones are like £250, the normal ones are around £170 I think. Then you'd probably be left with the spare modules because I've seen a few hanging about and they dont sell that well from what I've seen.

If you'd be happy with just one killer metal sound just get the 6505 though. There far from versatile but just sound awesome IMHO.
Last edited by jscustomguitars at Dec 29, 2008,
Quote by sesstreets
The vh4 does something no metal people seem to use almost ever. And its something that I think Adam Jones is teh shiz for doing.

Yeah I know right? When's the last time a metal conversation EVER lead to power tube distortion.

Quite simply, if you up the preamp gain to 11 and keep the power amp saturation at a minimum, well you aren't going to get the best out of a vh4. They are almost designed for power amp distortion.

Try it out next time. Keep the gain at 4ish and pump the volume until your ears bleed.

Haha, I'll keep that in mind dude, if I end up getting it and if I end up being allowed to destroy my own house with glorious metal!

Quote by jscustomguitars
Yeah, the RM100's are awesome too. The fact you can change the modules is am awesome idea that works really well. There dead easy to wsitch, theres just a screw either side of each module that undo and they just pull out.

Only thing you'd have to figure into the price is the extra modules you'd have to buy on top of the amp. The KH ones are like £250, the normal ones are around £170 I think. Then you'd probably be left with the spare modules because I've seen a few hanging about and they dont sell that well from what I've seen.

Yeah, that was the issue. I don't want to end up spending extra money. I'd like to find people who would trade them - there are tonnes on the Randall forum but most of it is in the USA.
Gear:
Peavey JSX Head
Ibanez PGM301
Randall R212CB

Simple.
If you've played one through a Diezel cab, then I'd be very surprised if you found it muddy. The VH4 is a dark amp with plenty of lower mids, and through your average cab can definitely sound muddy, but using the Diezel cabs that are voiced specifically to work with their amps, you should find the clarity and note separation second to none.
The open-ness, yet still with focus, the sweet midrange, and the amazingly musical high-end are just a few of the awesome traits that the VH4 has. I've played the majority of the top-end amps out there, and the Diezels stand head and shoulders above the rest IMO.
To be honest, I love the Diezel VH4's. I'm saving for one to run in stereo with my Rm100.
Signatures are overrated.
Quote by Nolly
If you've played one through a Diezel cab, then I'd be very surprised if you found it muddy. The VH4 is a dark amp with plenty of lower mids, and through your average cab can definitely sound muddy, but using the Diezel cabs that are voiced specifically to work with their amps, you should find the clarity and note separation second to none.
The open-ness, yet still with focus, the sweet midrange, and the amazingly musical high-end are just a few of the awesome traits that the VH4 has. I've played the majority of the top-end amps out there, and the Diezels stand head and shoulders above the rest IMO.

Cheers Nolly, issue is I don't have a Diezel Cab.
Whereas I can afford a 2x12 Randall MTS cab, which is voiced for the RM100.

Thanks alot for the help everyone again, it's just hard decisions to make, especially buying used.
Gear:
Peavey JSX Head
Ibanez PGM301
Randall R212CB

Simple.
Dude, just get something with some brighter speakers. V30's for instance. The Randall MTS cabs are great for a lot of applications.
Quote by Moe.
Dude, just get something with some brighter speakers. V30's for instance. The Randall MTS cabs are great for a lot of applications.

yeah that's what it's got.
the head I'm looking at doesn't have the modules i want though which is my main issue.
****ing hate all this really.
Gear:
Peavey JSX Head
Ibanez PGM301
Randall R212CB

Simple.
Quote by willyman101
yeah that's what it's got.
the head I'm looking at doesn't have the modules i want though which is my main issue.
****ing hate all this really.

Modules are easy to come by.
Quote by willyman101
Cheers Nolly, issue is I don't have a Diezel Cab.
Whereas I can afford a 2x12 Randall MTS cab, which is voiced for the RM100.

Thanks alot for the help everyone again, it's just hard decisions to make, especially buying used.

That's fair enough. When you're going to spend £2250 on an amp, it's not worth skimping on the cab. I used an Orange cab with mine for the first couple of months, until I could afford a Diezel. It was absolutely worth it, the Orange sounded fine, but the Diezel took it to a whole other level.
Quote by Moe.

Modules are easy to come by.

I'm sure they are but I can't spend more money on modules so I'd have to trade for the ones I want (Ultra XL and Blackface). The one he's selling doesn't have any clean modules. I could cope with two modules, clean and overdrive but 3 hi gain ones is a bit annoying.
Gear:
Peavey JSX Head
Ibanez PGM301
Randall R212CB

Simple.
Quote by willyman101
I'm sure they are but I can't spend more money on modules so I'd have to trade for the ones I want (Ultra XL and Blackface). The one he's selling doesn't have any clean modules. I could cope with two modules, clean and overdrive but 3 hi gain ones is a bit annoying.

High gain modules are always in demand. I'm sure there would be someone wanting to trade for a blackface.
Instant awesome toolesque clean sound.

Step 1: Increase gain to point you like it at.
Step 2: Lower guitar volume as low as it will go.
Pain is an illusion.
YouTube Channel
Quote by sesstreets
Instant awesome toolesque clean sound.

Step 1: Increase gain to point you like it at.
Step 2: Lower guitar volume as low as it will go.

Isn't that called 'off' ?
Quote by Moe.
Isn't that called 'off' ?

as low as it will go before its off.
Pain is an illusion.
YouTube Channel
Quote by sesstreets

I beg to differ, most Mesa owners are in the same boat and have to crank them up a bit to get a great tone out of them as well
Quote by IbanezPsycho
I beg to differ, most Mesa owners are in the same boat and have to crank them up a bit to get a great tone out of them as well

The recto series, yes, but the others sound pretty good at low levels.

I've played the VH4 many times and have never been impressed with it. I'd rather have the Einstein or Herbert over it any day.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
When you consider this guy is selling it for £700
does it make it better than a Randall RM100?
Gear:
Peavey JSX Head
Ibanez PGM301
Randall R212CB

Simple.
Quote by willyman101

A VH4 for £700? I have no idea how much they go for there, but comparing to prices here, that's a ridiculous deal and it's most definitely worth the price.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
A VH4 for £700? I have no idea how much they go for there, but comparing to prices here, that's a ridiculous deal and it's most definitely worth the price.

Oh they go for a lot lol. I've asked him why it's so cheap, waiting for a response.
It's from Germany but it's in London, and it's an ex-demo.
but all the same... something must be up...
Gear:
Peavey JSX Head
Ibanez PGM301
Randall R212CB

Simple.
Quote by MatrixClaw

+1

only thing to be wary of is that it's almost too good a deal. just be careful you aren't being ripped off with a fake or one which was stolen etc.

I really liked the VH4 i tried, it's a lot of money though, and i haven't tried any other diezels...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
+1

only thing to be wary of is that it's almost too good a deal. just be careful you aren't being ripped off with a fake or one which was stolen etc.

I really liked the VH4 i tried, it's a lot of money though, and i haven't tried any other diezels...

Yeah man, well, over the Randall then? The person selling hasn't emailed me back about it, so I'm sort of unsure about how reliable it is. The whole advert is in German, but it says it's location is London.

The description says (translated):

"This is a used head from our exhibition with a very slight optical Gebrauchsspuren.
The head is without accessories (like footswitch, manual) supplied.
The most frequently performed Diezel Amp überhaup and meanwhile THE studio standard in the United States. The VH-4 has four individual channels (Clean, Crunch, Lead and Heavy), a built-Midi Switcher and has just as the possibility of Herbert, the amplifier section as to equip (6L6, EL34, 5881, 6550, KT66, etc.) . With an output of 100 watts for four EL34 tubes produced the VH-4 a boost in the bass range, his equal.

Features:
100 watts (four EL34)
up to 160 watts of power with alternative power amp tubes
4 fully independent channels with their own sound system
Bright Switch, Channel 1 a.m. to 2 p.m.
4 Channel inserts (one per channel)
parallel and serial FX Loop
Handmade in Germany
Channels and loops via midi switchable
Midi In & Through
Midi In with phantom power on 7-pin MIDI cable
Deep & Presence scheme
Speaker outputs 2 x 4 ohms, 2 x 8 ohm, 1 x 16 ohms
Dimensions 74.0 x 29.0 x 28.5 cm"
Gear:
Peavey JSX Head
Ibanez PGM301
Randall R212CB

Simple.
yeah, i'd rather have a diezel than that randall. but i should add that i've only tried three of the randall modules (recto, deluxe and plexi).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by willyman101

Some jackass tried to scam me on an orange rockerverb 50 half stack for £500 quid through an ad via London gumtree a couple weeks ago. I doubt they're related but always worth being a bit weary. This one was obvious though as i got a fake ebay link asking for a dodgy banking transfer. Just thought i'd give a heads up anyway.
Quote by Meatball200
Some jackass tried to scam me on an orange rockerverb 50 half stack for £500 quid through an ad via London gumtree a couple weeks ago. I doubt they're related but always worth being a bit weary. This one was obvious though as i got a fake ebay link asking for a dodgy banking transfer. Just thought i'd give a heads up anyway.

Thanks alot man, for that. At least I know there are dodgy sellers on that site in the London area.

Quote by Dave_Mc
yeah, i'd rather have a diezel than that randall. but i should add that i've only tried three of the randall modules (recto, deluxe and plexi).

Cheers Dave. I've thought about it and I need to ask you (or anyone else) a final question becuase I'm sure I'm getting on everybody's nerves with this (look under my name).

I have several choices - A new Peavey 6505+ for £799, a Randall RM100 with only Ultra, SL+ and Modern modules (no clean), for £800 used, or should I wait around for a better deal second hand and if so, what amps should I keep an eye out for?
Gear:
Peavey JSX Head
Ibanez PGM301
Randall R212CB

Simple.
Last edited by willyman101 at Dec 29, 2008,
I own an RM4 (the Rackmount version of the RM100's preamp) and the Diezel is definitely superior, eventhough it's really not my thing. You should be able to trade it for a Herbert if you don't end up jiving with it, both of which are pretty much the ultimate in high gain amps, after that you're going to have to go custom shop
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
The recto series, yes, but the others sound pretty good at low levels.

I've played the VH4 many times and have never been impressed with it. I'd rather have the Einstein or Herbert over it any day.

Yup thats why I said most...

MMMMM Diezel Herbert still gotta get my hands on one...
Quote by willyman101
Thanks alot man, for that. At least I know there are dodgy sellers on that site in the London area.

Cheers Dave. I've thought about it and I need to ask you (or anyone else) a final question becuase I'm sure I'm getting on everybody's nerves with this (look under my name).

I have several choices - A new Peavey 6505+ for £799, a Randall RM100 with only Ultra, SL+ and Modern modules (no clean), for £800 used, or should I wait around for a better deal second hand and if so, what amps should I keep an eye out for?

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=17878254#

i think either would be good with a good well broken in speaker but with the 6505 you should get a OCD pedal to give a warm crunch. I would also look at Framus Cobra despite the build quality. Other than that Engl SE would be the only other amp i would go for if i could.
Quote by Andr00
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=17878254#

i think either would be good with a good well broken in speaker but with the 6505 you should get a OCD pedal to give a warm crunch. I would also look at Framus Cobra despite the build quality. Other than that Engl SE would be the only other amp i would go for if i could.

I'm getting a used Randall cab with V30s that are pretty broken in.
Framus Cobra is too much - my budget is £800 tops, so I'm looking at used.
Gear:
Peavey JSX Head
Ibanez PGM301
Randall R212CB

Simple.
it's hard to say. i'd say that the diezel is the best deal by far, except it's such a good deal that it might be a scam. if it's not, though, that's the best deal by quite a long way.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
it's hard to say. i'd say that the diezel is the best deal by far, except it's such a good deal that it might be a scam. if it's not, though, that's the best deal by quite a long way.

Yeah obviously, would be crazy if it's not a scam. But he hasn't replied to my email so I can't know...

I might just go for the 6505+ in the end lol. If nothing else comes up.
Gear:
Peavey JSX Head
Ibanez PGM301
Randall R212CB

Simple.
yeah, that's true. when they don't answer, you start to worry.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by willyman101
Yeah obviously, would be crazy if it's not a scam. But he hasn't replied to my email so I can't know...

I might just go for the 6505+ in the end lol. If nothing else comes up.

Yea, I cant see someone guttin a VH4 and slappin MG internals in there lol. Also the VH4 layout is hard to copy so someone would be pretty hard pressed its not like a old single channel marshall.

I say get it man, even if something happens you can get it fixed and your still saving cash.
Quote by IbanezPsycho
Yea, I cant see someone guttin a VH4 and slappin MG internals in there lol. Also the VH4 layout is hard to copy so someone would be pretty hard pressed its not like a old single channel marshall.

I say get it man, even if something happens you can get it fixed and your still saving cash.

That's true. I mean, it's been up since the 6th December, but I think people would be unsure becuase it's all in German lol. I'll wait a bit, see what happens. Thanks for your help guys.
Gear:
Peavey JSX Head
Ibanez PGM301
Randall R212CB

Simple.