Seriously gettin' annoyed now.

basically my band played a gig and our drummer couldn't keep in time for the whole thing and we kicked him out.

easy... he's a drummer...

so basically im writing new songs because our old ones are kinda... crap.

we have a new bassist and a new drummer now and me and my bro (rhythm guitarist) are wanting to start fresh with new songs and everything.

so my problem is... writing decent rock/metal tunes in drop D... i've pretty much played in drop d constantly for about a year but all my songs are sounding the same now. any decent influential bands that play in drop d? or is drop d generally... ****?

in fact if you can tab out some cool licks or something... anything to move me away from this one finger playing style haha.

also decent solo's are a problem for me too. i just tend to improvise and thats getting on my tits too
check out some deftones songs, especially from white pony. They use often some drop d variants (like drop C) and do some interesting chords that might get you unstuck. If that doesn't work try switching to standard tuning or something else like Open E
Guitars:

Ibanez SZ320
Ibanez RG450
Ibanez SC620
Bc Rich Warlock 7 String
ESP LTD SC-607

FX:

Digitech Whammy 4
Line 6 PodXT Live

Amp:

Line 6 Flextone 2
im pretty sure this isnt the right place, but i dont really care

Trivium's second album (Ascendancy) influenced me quite a lot
& Lamb Of God, Annihilator!
Pantera always influence me
a7x use dropd check out their older stuff for some serious riffidge
other drop d...... oh forget it just go to drop c
They made me do push ups in drag

I'm gonna have a really hard time if we're both cannibals and racists.

Don't dress as a whore, he'll thump you.

I'm a firework, primed to go off
Quote by Paranoid777
Drop D has nothing to do with your songs sounding all the same. Dont try to get influence from other drop D bands. Create your own sound

+1

there isnt a magical tuning that will make everything sound cool and different

just practice, it will all work out

but look at some non-metal bands to get some fresh ideas, check out some blues and stuff
personally i dont use drop D
u could try every string down half a step
or drop C with every string down half a step
The Iceman
Quote by _-Joey-_
im pretty sure this isnt the right place, but i dont really care

Trivium's second album (Ascendancy) influenced me quite a lot
& Lamb Of God, Annihilator!
Pantera always influence me

+1
Quote by Paranoid777
Drop D has nothing to do with your songs sounding all the same. Dont try to get influence from other drop D bands. Create your own sound

+1

However i have noticed with some people that when they play in drop D, they almost exclusively play in the key of D aeolian and focus on the D, and they don't try out the great sounds you can get in drop D from other keys such as A major and D major.
But if you know your theory there's no reason why you should be sounding boring in drop D.

Just what i've noticed...

But yeah Trivium's Ascendancy is a good album, as is anything by Tool.

I would also recommend looking into non metal bands for new ideas, i can't think of any off the top of my head though