So guys listen, I know that some of you are going to say "SITE! REPORTED!"

But please don't, I'd rather not host all the images else where and have to go through all kinds of editing to get it to look right.

So I would like you guys to go to

http://sesstreets.com/archives/distortion-vs-overdrive-and-electric-amp-basics/

My site and simply tell me what you think of that article. I promise that if this really is in violation of the rules, I will remove it, but I really don't think that this is advertising as I'm not selling anything nor are there any adds on my website anywhere.

I just want to know what you guys think.

And in all seriousness I'd rather you rip the whole thing apart and ruin all of my ideas so I can make them better.

Ok?

Cool.
Pain is an illusion.
Schecter Hellraiser C-1 w/ Seymour Duncan JB/Jazz Combo
Pitchblack | Bad Horsie 2 | DS-1 | BF-2 | ISP Decimator | DD6
YouTube Channel

looks good. i may well get round to reading it at some point

EDIT: ok i've glimpsed over it. im actually doing a similar thing for my physics coursework.

when youre on about acoustic amplification is that not reverb and resonance inside the box?

and for pickups i think of it as the magnetic strings dragging electrons back and forth through the coil in the pickup which creates the sine wave in the pickup

its an awesome article btw, i think it'd be easy for someone with little knowledge in this area to understand
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
Last edited by stevo_epi_SG_wo at Dec 29, 2008,
Just read the whole thing. Really interesting and added alot to my knowladge of the guitar. Cheers!
very nice dude.
Quote by slickerthnsleek
YOU WIN THE INTERNET.
Quote by dxpaintball8000
long live bucketmark.
Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo

looks good. i may well get round to reading it at some point

EDIT: ok i've glimpsed over it. im actually doing a similar thing for my physics coursework.

when youre on about acoustic amplification is that not reverb and resonance inside the box?

and for pickups i think of it as the magnetic strings dragging electrons back and forth through the coil in the pickup which creates the sine wave in the pickup

its an awesome article btw, i think it'd be easy for someone with little knowledge in this area to understand

Acoustic amplification as far as I know is just the fact that the sound waves no longer are allowed to go forward, and thus go back. But as they do they grow in size.
Pain is an illusion.
YouTube Channel
I lol'd.

In all seriousness, it was good.
I've studied this before, but you've put it in a really simple format that anyone (with some fraction of a brain) would be able to understand.

Huzzah!
Thats just my spazzness coming out.
Pain is an illusion.
YouTube Channel
Bump. Anyone else got problems with it?
Pain is an illusion.
YouTube Channel
If you genuinely do want nitpicking, then there a few select issues with spelling. Having glimpsed through a few paragraphs, your use of their (as opposed to there) was noticeable.

However, saying that makes me feel really pedantic, as it is a really good article, with a lot of good information in it, so it overall is really well done

Out of curiosity, is this just for your own desire, or is there a specific purpose behind this?
Quote by jxljxl
If UG had a Facebook style Relationship thing, I'd e-marry you C-mak

Quote by jxljxl
I want C-mak in my bum.

^Think he might have a thing for me...
Last edited by cmakkidguitar at Dec 29, 2008,
Paragraph 3 is extremely wrong. The amplitude cannot increase, the waves merely spread out.
A metal band?
Gear:
A Guitar with an LFR > Korg Pitchblack > Behringer EQ > Hardwire CM-2 Overdrive Boss SD-1 > Hardwire CR-7 Chorus>
Orange Tiny Terror >
LzR Engineering 212 cab

My other amp can run Crysis
Quote by FischmungaXTR
Paragraph 3 is extremely wrong. The amplitude cannot increase, the waves merely spread out.

Don't the waves become larger? And then in turn they hold the same frequency so. The only thing that can change is the decibel rate. Which is the amplitude of waves.

Its just how its measured. In trigonometry, the amplitude is how high and how low a wave goes, in music, the higher and lower a wave travels the higher its decibel measurement.

I mean, the larger the wave the more it pushes the speaker no?
Pain is an illusion.
YouTube Channel
Quote by cmakkidguitar
If you genuinely do want nitpicking, then there a few select issues with spelling. Having glimpsed through a few paragraphs, your use of their (as opposed to there) was noticeable.

However, saying that makes me feel really pedantic, as it is a really good article, with a lot of good information in it, so it overall is really well done

Out of curiosity, is this just for your own desire, or is there a specific purpose behind this?

It was 5am, I couldn't sleep, so I just started writing.
Pain is an illusion.
YouTube Channel
Quote by sesstreets
Don't the waves become larger? And then in turn they hold the same frequency so. The only thing that can change is the decibel rate. Which is the amplitude of waves.

Its just how its measured. In trigonometry, the amplitude is how high and how low a wave goes, in music, the higher and lower a wave travels the higher its decibel measurement.

I mean, the larger the wave the more it pushes the speaker no?

for the waves to become larger there needs to be an input of energy

the bit that confused me was where you said "the waves are no longer allowed to go forward" so they go back with a greater amplitude, but surely there needs to be energy?

Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
for the waves to become larger there needs to be an input of energy

the bit that confused me was where you said "the waves are no longer allowed to go forward" so they go back with a greater amplitude, but surely there needs to be energy?

Thats just how waves act. Drop a stone in a pond, the ripples are waves and they continue in straight lines until they meet resistance. And when they do they go back towards the source. Only the waves are larger but are smaller.

hmm

and then they are condensed in the case of a guitar due to the shape.

Might have to fix that. I'm pretty sure its not the energy but rather the shape that helps increase the power of the waves and stops them from becoming large flabby waves.
Pain is an illusion.
YouTube Channel
yeah, aside from the few things already pointed out, and some spelling / syntax errors, this was great. a very easy-to-understand account of how an electric guitar and amp actually works.
Good read dude.

Although, I don't suppose you've ever heard of spell/grammar check before, have you?
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Quote by sesstreets
Thats just how waves act. Drop a stone in a pond, the ripples are waves and they continue in straight lines until they meet resistance. And when they do they go back towards the source. Only the waves are larger but are smaller.

wat

also: i think youre getting at superposition of waves.

the waves bounce off the inside off the box then as they meet other waves they get 'added up' and some frequencies are exagerrated and other cancelled out, like phase switching in pickups
Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
wat

also: i think youre getting at superposition of waves.

the waves bounce off the inside off the box then as they meet other waves they get 'added up' and some frequencies are exagerrated and other cancelled out, like phase switching in pickups

Yeah the whole article isn't quite finished but its almost there no?
Pain is an illusion.
YouTube Channel
Anybody else want to criticize?
Pain is an illusion.
YouTube Channel
Re: Waves, I think you're getting confused with transverse waves (like water ripples). Sound waves are longitudinal, and so look nothing like a sine wave in reality. They are made up of compressions and rarefactions of air and the air particles only move forwards & backwards in the direction the wave is travelling.
A metal band?
Gear:
A Guitar with an LFR > Korg Pitchblack > Behringer EQ > Hardwire CM-2 Overdrive Boss SD-1 > Hardwire CR-7 Chorus>
Orange Tiny Terror >
LzR Engineering 212 cab

Quote by FischmungaXTR
Re: Waves, I think you're getting confused with transverse waves (like water ripples). Sound waves are longitudinal, and so look nothing like a sine wave in reality. They are made up of compressions and rarefactions of air and the air particles only move forwards & backwards in the direction the wave is travelling.

they can be represented as a sine wave though

highest compression = 90
highest "stretching" = 270

inbetween = 0, 180, 360

i hope you can understand what i mean by that
AHHHHHHHHHH...................... WALL OF TEXT!!!!!

joking
its very nice sesstreets
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
they can be represented as a sine wave though

highest compression = 90
highest "stretching" = 270

inbetween = 0, 180, 360

i hope you can understand what i mean by that

Yes, just remember it ONLY works on graphs. Nothing to do with the dispersion of the waves really.
A metal band?
Gear:
Orange Tiny Terror >
LzR Engineering 212 cab