Page 1 of 2
I was in HMV and I saw loads of CD's packaged exactly like a vinyl would, on there was a CD in it, but the question is, would you like to see vinyls brought back to replace CD's? Or maybe just to be made more available.
Made More available.
If You See Me Posting In The Pit HIT ME.
Quote by KingJak236
My hamster used to bite me when I picked it up, then it got too old and fat to bite and died in a pool of it's own vomit.

Quote by Kensai
That's the rockstar way to go. I salute him.
There are a lot of vinyls still available for newer and older albums, they just aren't as easily available as CDs.

EDIT: Just the other day I got Ride the Lightning by Metallica on vinyl.
Quote by duncang
maybe it's because i secrely agree that tracedin inymballsackistheb best album ever

he's got the fire and the fury,
at his command
well you don't have to worry,
if you hold onto jesus' hand
Last edited by CTFOD at Dec 29, 2008,
No, I would hate it if everybody started collecting vinyl as it means less and less digging for me!
I love vinyl and there is plenty of it available for new and old records.
Ibanez S7320
Marshall Valvestate 100v Model 8100 Head
Marshall 1936 Lead Cab
\m/ Latria \m/
hifi purists have always stuck with vinyl, cos they prefer the analogue over digital

you can get different thicknesses as well - the thicker the better as i understand it, but IMO, no I don't want them back but I do like the idea that if we didn't have electricity you could still play your old 33's
EPILPSTDYamahaRBX100BassTanglewoodTW28/STRFenderchamp600CubaseStudio5Saffirepro40AlesisM1ActiveMKIIMAudioKeystation88RodeNT1AShureSM57KeeleyModTS9MackieMCUwww.myspace.com/cuthbertgriswald
They're pretty available in Sydney if you go into a large JB Hi-Fi
I'm here to help

Quote by Jimbleton
ok, as usual pit is being very unhelpful except andychalmers, so im gonna go post this someplace else

And a master of storytelling...

Quote by Jackolas
andychalmers102, that story is awesome.
Yarp,

especially if it would mean no more sound level compression.
I'm talking about the "fancy" technique used to mix recordings - translated as louder means better.

Damn REMASTERs
No, they sound crap and cost far too much to manufacture. You also only get a few listens out of it before the quality is ruined.
The DNA results show that Jeremy Kyle is a nob.

Quote by titsmcgee852
I want to look at your sexual naked body.
Quote by Ed Hunter
No, they sound crap and cost far too much to manufacture. You also only get a few listens out of it before the quality is ruined.

Sound crap? are you retarded?
Vinyls have the best sound.

I don't think vinyls should come back
Quote by JeanMi36
Back when I was a teen, I was making out with this girl, when I had the bright idea of putting my hand inside her panties.

She had her period.

I'm scarred for life
the artwork on them is much cooler tho
Lady Gaga if you're out there, i don't care if you have a penis or not, i will marry you
Vinyls shows class.
Quote by JeanMi36
Back when I was a teen, I was making out with this girl, when I had the bright idea of putting my hand inside her panties.

She had her period.

I'm scarred for life
Come back? No. But if I'm in a band and we release anything, there's going to be a run of vinyls. Love the way they sound.
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Quote by cuthbertg
hifi purists have always stuck with vinyl, cos they prefer the analogue over digital

you can get different thicknesses as well - the thicker the better as i understand it, but IMO, no I don't want them back but I do like the idea that if we didn't have electricity you could still play your old 33's

Well, without electricity for amplification, they wouldn't sound very good/loud.
I do like to buy some nice coloured vinyl or rare picture discs every now and then.
If you're going to be crazy, you have to get paid for it or else you're going to be locked up.
-Hunter S. Thompson
Quote by Sumlover41
Sound crap? are you retarded?
Vinyls have the best sound.

I don't think vinyls should come back

No, I just prefer not to have a load of shitty crackling around my music when I listen to it.
The DNA results show that Jeremy Kyle is a nob.

Quote by titsmcgee852
I want to look at your sexual naked body.
vinyl has a place but i don't think it'll ever have a massive resurgence. some of my mum's old vinyl has only been played fifty or so times per album (she reckons) and they've become unlistenable, kept only for sentimental reasons (old beatles albums, etc). maybe more modern vinyl is tougher, i wouldn't know.
Quote by Stagger Lee
Well, without electricity for amplification, they wouldn't sound very good/loud.I do like to buy some nice coloured vinyl or rare picture discs every now and then.

Agreed, but a gramaphone is gonna sound better in a blackout than an ipod with a flat batt
EPILPSTDYamahaRBX100BassTanglewoodTW28/STRFenderchamp600CubaseStudio5Saffirepro40AlesisM1ActiveMKIIMAudioKeystation88RodeNT1AShureSM57KeeleyModTS9MackieMCUwww.myspace.com/cuthbertgriswald
They've been getting more popular in the last five years or so. I could easily start collecting, since most of the music I listen to was released on vinyl in the first place, and you can find it so cheaply on the internet. When the USDollar was really weak I remember my dad buying records for about 50pence from the US.
Quote by DrewsGotTheLife
yea man, who ever doesnt like pantera or think they suck doesnt like metal, end of discussion, they changed the freakin world n made history, so don't be sayin they suck, have respect, same goes for machine head n lamb of god cuz their good too
Vinyls dont have a better sound, they are too big, they dont have a vinyl playre in cars, they can break easily, and they are a pain in the ass to produce. This isnt the seventies.
The problem with Vinyl is it's expensive to make comapred to CDs the sound quality is no where near as good and the will eventually wear out. I have a huge record collection from the late 70s early 80s that is pretty much crap now. Even though I took care of them they get old and just don't have that new sound.

I see small racks of vinyl at the music shops but they are usually geared torward a collector or someone who uses them DJ'ing rather than someone wanting good sound quality. The other problem is your going to find most bands that will bother making vinyl copies of their CDs.

I almost forgot the sound on a vinyl record is only as good as your turntable. If you have some old crappy turntable with a crap needle it's going to sound like sh*t anyway.

You really can't beat the digital sound quality on a CD or in MP3s.

John
Last edited by johnro6659 at Dec 29, 2008,
They become unlistenable after a while, but I love collecting them anyways.

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE
I'd love to have a vinyl player in my car.
Quote by blue_strat
This is Germany we're talking about.

Germany

Quote by stoner179
Thanks alot. When i read the first sentence, i dont know why, but i laughed in the middle of my first class at tech school. You sir have made me look like a fool for the first and last time
I still buy vinyls. Nuff said.
Quote by SteveHouse
Also you're off topic. This thread is about Reva eating snowmen.
There's this place called Vinyl Fever near me where they sell old used vinyls for 99 cents a piece. Once a month I walk in with a 20 dollar bill and leave with a box full of classic records. It's awesome!
Tons of punk/indie bands still release their EP's and Splits on vinyl. Sometimes their full length albums as well.
BRIGHT LIGHTS PUT ME IN A TRANCE.
but it aint house music that makes me want to dance.
I still buy albums I really like on vinyl occasionally. I hate the amount of compression on most modern music (especially MP3's).

And for the guy who said compression means "louder = better" it doesn't.

Compression is an effect used to make recordings (of individual instruments, or a whole mix) sound tighter. It makes the quietest parts louder and the loud parts quieter.

Think of it as putting your hands on the top and bottom of this waveform and squeezing it.

The result is overcompressed records and songs like 'Go With the Flow' where the instruments have no room to breathe and the quality and clarity is completely lost.

Don't get me wrong, I love QOTSA but their sound is just muddy.
Quote by griffRG7321
become a circumsizer, you get like £60,000 a year + tips.

Quote by Flying Couch
Because I'm not aerodynamic. All the other airborne furniture laugh at me.

LIKE PORTISHEAD?
Quote by johnro6659
You really can't beat the digital sound quality in ... MP3s.

Are you serious? Oh how I hate bit-rate compression. You lose all depth in the music.

Anyway, back on track with vinyl.

I love the stuff.
I love that your disc will wear out at a different rate than anyone else's, and get dust in different places. It's such a personal experience.

Mastering vinyl doesn't mean squash the crap out of it and make it louder than everyone else. It takes much more skill. The engineer has to ride the song to make sure it's not so loud as to make the needle jump. They need to make sure the bass isn't too big or wide for the same reasons.

Whoever said that the vinyl that their mother had that was useless after 50 listens obviously has a mother who treats vinyl like crap, or doesn't know that you can remove the dust.

If you own a turntable and don't like vinyl, I urge you to buy The Police's 'Outlandos D'amour' and crank 'dat. You can hear the analog overdrive in the recording.

Anyway, I don't prefer analog over digital. I think there are arguments for both. They each fit different moods. Vinyl is rough and CDs are clean. The medium has influenced production styles, and in turn, consumer preferences and then record company preferences.
Vinyl is pretty useless. It's not exactly convenient if you want to put tracks from vinyl onto your computer
Last year I started burning my dad's records onto our computer using some borrowed software. It took a long time. it did mean I spent most of my summer listening to 70s prog rock though

When it comes to the 'vinyl is crap after X amount of plays' I have to disagree with you there. If you look after it properly. My dad's records have been kept in good condition, so they still sound good. Bit too much dust after they went in storage whislt moving house, but they're fine once I cleaned em up. The one that was kept in the best condition was Jeff Wayne's Musical Version Of the War of the Worlds.

So I'd say keep it the way it is.
Quote by Renka
OddOneOut is an Essex S&M mistress and not a pirate or a computer program.

I am in love with my vinyls... but CDs are definitely more practical. I happen to live in a town where there are quite a few places to go shop for vinyls, so they're not in short supply. Vinyls are more satisfying and sound better. But again, CDs are more practical.
Looking for my India/Django.
there's a good amount out now, butt a few bands could put out a few more.
&& i have a bunch of my stepdad's old records hanging on my wall. (:
looks nice.

butt they are nice for collectors, && i think that's about it.
Quote by GiantRaven
You are not human.

I am totally serious.

Quote by tilinmyowngrave
I was inspired by someone saying they had Millionaire on their Ipod

he's talking about me!
I only buy vinyls these days, I don't bother with CDs anymore. With new vinyl releases you often get a free digital download with it anyways so you have the MP3s as well, so I don't see the problem. They're just much nicer to have than CDs.
there is no fear in this heart.

Quote by ETHANEVIL
How am I being or trying to be fabulous/glamorous?

Quote by the_astronaut
I only buy vinyls these days, I don't bother with CDs anymore. With new vinyl releases you often get a free digital download with it anyways so you have the MP3s as well, so I don't see the problem. They're just much nicer to have than CDs.

OOOh really!

that's it, I'm going back to vinyl
At this point since so many bands don't make vinyls I've just started using a tube processor for my ipod and sound system. Makes them sound warm like vinyl but without the crackling.
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Quote by cuthbertg
OOOh really!

that's it, I'm going back to vinyl

Yup, I'm sold too!
Quote by Renka
OddOneOut is an Essex S&M mistress and not a pirate or a computer program.

Not really. I listen to CDs a lot, but I'll buy vinyls every once in a while.

Yesterday I bought 'Are You Experienced' on vinyl
Did you know the odds of a Vault-Tec shelter failing are 1,763,497 to 1?

So imagine life in a Vault-Tec Vault. Not just a future.
A brighter future... underground.

Patrolling the Mojave almost makes you wish for a nuclear winter.
I've seen new records on sale in Vinyl form. They are clearly coming back, especially now that people have realised that Mp3's give inferior sound quality, they want the best available.

I haven't heard a vinyl player in ages, so I really can't compare. I buy CD's.
Sorry, what? As far as I'm aware, most bands/labels still produce vinyl versions of their albums. That they're less common is fine, there's only really demand for them in the hifi and collector markets.
Quote by Marcel Veltman
Being a rather mediocre musician myself, I'm all on the hand of Haanz.

Guitar:
MIM '09 Fender Telecaster
Laney VC15-110 Old English White '10
Freshman FOP1DN Acoustic

Bass:
Ibanez SRX590
Laney RB4
Tech21 SansAmp BassDriver DI
Boss ODB-3
Page 1 of 2