I have a Schecter C-1 plus, the bridge pickup is a duncan designed pickup akin to the duncan SH-4. I play blues and jazz a lot but I mostly use the neck pickup for that, however, when I want to play some serious rock and add a lot of distortion the bridge pickup becomes very muddy.
I don't care much about clean tone because I only play clean clean using the bridge when I am practicing. It needs to be non active, I don't feel like taking a router to my guitar to hollow out a space for a battery, I just want a pickup that can handle a lot of distortion.

I use 10 gauge strings.
What amp are you using?
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Various, I've tried all sorts of amps, it's definitely the guitar.
I just want a pickup that can give me more clarity as I push the clipping.
It doesn't handle the raw distortion of a marshall or triple rec turned up as well as a lot of guitars will

Slash doesn't use as much as I do. Maybe more like sum41
Last edited by rawk1277 at Dec 29, 2008,
Quote by liam177lewis
Seymour Duncan Alnico 2 pro... same as slash's... very nice clean, spherical and sparkley in the bridge, absolute magic.

Terrible suggestion, you don't get clarity under distortion from Alnico 2 magnets.

Duncan Custom is what I'd go for, maybe a Dimarzio Norton.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

well to be fair, i do. and you cant just say a suggestion is terrible, that just implies i dont know what im talking about... i think it depends more on what distortion you use. i use distortion with very little gain, and you can hear each note perfectly. i only pointed out that slash uses these in case the guy had trouble tracking them down - i was NOT reccomending his tone (which is down more to his amps and mxr eq more than his pickups anyways.)
Last edited by liam177lewis at Dec 29, 2008,
Quote by liam177lewis
well to be fair, i do. and you cant just say a suggestion is terrible, that just implies i dont know what im talking about... i think it depends more on what distortion you use. i use distortion with very little gain, and you can hear each note perfectly. i only pointed out that slash uses these in case the guy had trouble tracking them down - i was NOT reccomending his tone (which is down more to his amps and mxr eq more than his pickups anyways.)

He said he uses a lot of distortion and wants more clarity - an Alnico 2 magnet will mush up under heavy distortion and have a spongly low end which is the exact opposite of what he wants and therefore its a terrible suggestion.

Ideally he's looking at ceramic magnets, hence the Custom...but a suitably voiced Alnico 5 magnet would be okay too.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

my seymour duncan custom custom in my bridge is very clear sounding.
Gear n Shizz:

Washburn X50 Pro
Epiphone Korina Explorer
Line 6 Flextone III 75w
Quote by steven seagull
He said he uses a lot of distortion and wants more clarity - an Alnico 2 magnet will mush up under heavy distortion and have a spongly low end which is the exact opposite of what he wants and therefore its a terrible suggestion.

Ideally he's looking at ceramic magnets, hence the Custom...but a suitably voiced Alnico 5 magnet would be okay too.

So, a good starting place is alnico 5 or ceramic?