I can't figure out how to tune my guitar to some songs ( ex. C#5, G#4, E4, B4, F#3, B2)
I know notes and where they are on a guitar, but the numbers behind the letters are confusing me.
Quote by rukiruder
( ex. C#5, G#4, E4, B4, F#3, B2)

Im guessing this would be drop b tuning if your starting from the right right of the example?
Fender Special Edition Custom Telecaster FMT HH in Crimson Red
Reverend Sensei HB FM in Tobacco Burst
Fender Vintage C Neck, HH, Surf Green Nitrocellulose (Handmade)

Egnater Rebel-30 MKI Head
Egnater Tourmaster Series 412B 280W 4x12 Cabinet
if you don't have a chromatic tuner, just put a capo (or a finger) on the third fret and tune to to drop d - so it would be DADGBe on the 3rd fret; B/F#/B/E/G#/C# on the open strings

hope this helps
Quote by Aurigo
Im guessing this would be drop b tuning if your starting from the right right of the example?

C#5 = E
G#4 = B
E4 = G
B4 = d
F#3 = A
B2 = E
Quote by Ibbod0
if you don't have a chromatic tuner, just put a capo (or a finger) on the third fret and tune to to drop d - so it would be DADGBe on the 3rd fret; B/F#/B/E/G#/C# on the open strings

hope this helps

Yes. it does thanks
Quote by darkwolf291
those are chords

Quote by Carmel
You are a redeeming feature for the UG Swedish population.

All-riiight.
Quote by rukiruder
C#5 = E
G#4 = B
E4 = G
B4 = d
F#3 = A
B2 = E

So I'm confused, lbbod0 said something about tuning on the 3rd fret but how does that apply to different numbers annotated next to the letters? I have the same question as the guy who posted this but with a different tuning, but I tried to use that list you typed using the number of fret on the string next to the number and I didnt get the same result letter (ex: E4=G, I tried the fourth fret on the E string but didnt get a G on my tuner, or with any other strings) so obviously I'm lost, please explain this whole number/letter simply I could understand lol
Quote by Epicfreestyler
So I'm confused, lbbod0 said something about tuning on the 3rd fret but how does that apply to different numbers annotated next to the letters? I have the same question as the guy who posted this but with a different tuning, but I tried to use that list you typed using the number of fret on the string next to the number and I didnt get the same result letter (ex: E4=G, I tried the fourth fret on the E string but didnt get a G on my tuner, or with any other strings) so obviously I'm lost, please explain this whole number/letter simply I could understand lol

They meant strings: as in E4=G (the G string):

C#5 = E String (tuned down 3 frets)
G#4 = B String (tuned down 3 frets)
E4 = G String (tuned down 3 frets)
B4 = d String (tuned down 3 frets)
F#3 = A String (tuned down 3 frets)
B2 = E String (tuned down 5 frets)

or better yet...

E String (tuned down 3 frets) would now be tuned to a C# note
B String (tuned down 3 frets) would now be tuned to a G# note
E String (tuned down 3 frets) would now be tuned to a E note
D String (tuned down 3 frets) would now be tuned to a B note
A String (tuned down 3 frets) would now be tuned to an F# note
E String (tuned down 5 frets) would now be tuned to a B note
Last edited by tonibet72 at May 10, 2014,
Quote by Epicfreestyler

I think you're confused about what the numbers mean and I agree this thread way more confusing than it should be

The numbers next to the letter(note) means the pitch of it - how high or low sounding it is.
Example:
-The low E on a bass guitar is called E1.
-On a guitar, the low E is E2 (1 octave higher than the bass).
-The next higher E is E3 (found on for example, fret 7 A string)
-Your open high E string is E4
-On the 12th fret of that string you'll have E5 - and on fret 24 E6. That's all your available E pitches on a regular guitar (excluding harmonics).

They do not mean fret number, it's the specific note names of the tuning. And people often like to call the 1st string the E string, even if it's tuned to B, C, D# or whatever - they still call it the E string.