Page 1 of 2
ok i know this sounds crazy but recently i have been trying to develop a hip hop [and i dont mean anyone of the mainstream stuff like 50 cent or lil wayne i mean the technical aspects of hip hop] style for guitar . ok what i did was listen these artist, Gorillaz , Gym Class Heroes,craig David , and Flobots and here is what i came up with to play hip hop

Clean lead tones: Distorted lead tones dont do anygood in a hip hop most of the time its just messsy and all over the place

role reversal of guitar and bass for example: in the song feel good inc by the gorillaz the bass guitar is the leading instrument instead of the electric guitar mean in your typical rock song you have the main guitar riff which is the most reconzible part of the song you will hear people maybe whisteling or hummig the tune and if they dont know the name of the song they will maybe refer to it as the song that goes like this [ insert main guitar riff tune here ] because in a rock song it revolves and round guitar riff but in the sing feel good the leading intrument is the bass guitar so say when you hear somebody humming the 100% of the time its the bass riff/line and while you have the bass line a clean lead in the background its great.

minor 7 Chords: yes i listen to some accoustic songs by craig david and gym class heroes and found out minor 7th are great for hip hop and rnb there nice and bright sounding but not too bright
i think thats it for now i will look into it more later
My Gear

Guitars: Jackson DK2t ,
Amp: peavey valvking royal 8 - 5 watt combo
Effects: Zoom g2.1u , Line 6 pod xt
Tom Morello successfully figured out the formula for using guitar as backing to rap when he was made the "designated DJ" for RATM many years ago...
Considering its Hip Hop the only guitars suited for it is the Hello Kitty Squire
~Defiant~
Quote by lefthandman9876
strat

ye strats are ok so are jacksons gibsons and parker fly for hip hop
My Gear

Quote by Dhmking
ok were not talking about i chose the wrong forum to post this idea nobody is taking it serously i dont know maybe:
1. you might be a close minded satan worshiping metal heads
2. You hate black people and would rather not get involed with anything about them
3. nobody is creative enough to NOT use powerchords
4. your scared people with laugh at you for trying to innovate

What the hell are you talking about? What does any of that have to do with my comment? Have you not heard of Tom Morello and Rage Against the Machine? You made this thread about how you "ingeniously" came up with this style of playing "hip hop with guitar" when it's nothing new, its been done. Tom Morello basically invented and perfected the style.

Where the hell did I mention anything about satan worshipping metal bands?
How do I hate black people for liking RATM?
Where did I mention a musical style that just uses powerchords?
How is me telling you that your "style" is nothing innovative mean that I am afraid of innovation?

And lastly, are you retarded?

Oh, and BTW. Tom Morello used a Tele, and a Strat for a lot of RATM.
Tom Morello only really used Delay, wah and a whammy pedal... I'm pretty sure bands like Radiohead use more effects than him
Strats are perfect for them from what I hear.

Noodles from the Gorillaz uses one. =]
BACK LIKE A HEART ATTACK
Quote by eurotrashed
Tom Morello only really used Delay, wah and a whammy pedal... I'm pretty sure bands like Radiohead use more effects than him

he also use EQ and a harmonizer or somthing
My Gear

Quote by Dhmking
ok were not talking about i chose the wrong forum to post this idea nobody is taking it serously i dont know maybe:
2. You hate black people and would rather not get involed with anything about them

That's not it, people on here don't like hiphop because of the stupid **** it entails. First of all, I'm sure tons of people are annoyed at the fact that rappers and whatnot make millions off of talking, not even singing, a song they wrote about how all women are "hoes" and grabbing his balls every few seconds, and then screaming or showing gang signs.

That is why people don't like rap on here. And tons of people on here know more than powerchords. Just because people play Metal mainly, doesn't mean they don't know any chords. I know tons of chords because I do theory lessons online, and I'm in a Jazz band at school, and all I do is play strange chord progressions.
Quote by satchgear
I tried it out in store.

Great neck, nice n light, good tuning stability. Overall a good guitar. I didn't but it cause I generally only buy guitars over a grand now.
Quote by V.U.K
That's not it, people on here don't like hiphop because of the stupid **** it entails. First of all, I'm sure tons of people are annoyed at the fact that rappers and whatnot make millions off of talking, not even singing, a song they wrote about how all women are "hoes" and grabbing his balls every few seconds, and then screaming or showing gang signs.

That is why people don't like rap on here. And tons of people on here know more than powerchords. Just because people play Metal mainly, doesn't mean they don't know any chords. I know tons of chords because I do theory lessons online, and I'm in a Jazz band at school, and all I do is play strange chord progressions.

Hell yes. I am too!
BACK LIKE A HEART ATTACK
i would check into some of the fender mustangs, jaguars, or jazzmasters. i think that those would be good. i always see hip hop oriented guitar to have a jazzy/blues feel to it anyways. i actually like the fusion of hip hop and guitar, there's no need to hate if it's what he like than let him do it.
Quote by illuminatiano
do not go on guitar forums

there are drugs there

( and ololol there are )
I saw Jay Z and NERD at projekt revolution this year and I'm pretty sure all the guitar players for those dudes played fender strats.
Gear n Shizz:

Washburn X50 Pro
Epiphone Korina Explorer
Line 6 Flextone III 75w
Quote by CoBRaGe
Hip hop and guitar... you made me laugh..

Really? Maybe you should open up and try some of these.

Ice Cube - Today was a Good Day
Usher - You Make Me Wanna
D12 - Fight Music

EDIT: Just a few more just to prove my point.

Eminem - Marshall Mathers
Puff Daddy Featuring JIMMY PAGE - Come with Me
Last edited by Vittu0666 at Dec 29, 2008,
Quote by V.U.K

You're being rediculous and have clearly never listened to much hip hop in your life. Asides from the mainstream crap, there's a lot of great hip hop and rap music. You can't just say a style of music is all dross. It just doesn't work and makes you sound either ignorant or stupid.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
^ agreed
Quote by illuminatiano
do not go on guitar forums

there are drugs there

( and ololol there are )
Quote by Dhmking

be honest

is this you?

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=uxzDsSHkM4s&feature=channel_page
My Musical attempts

My youtube music channel

Quote by TOMMYB22
Dammit, beaten to it, and by someone with the same name

CURSE YOU TOMMYT!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote by daeqwon10000
I hate tommyt and the high horse which he rides upon
have you listen to the gym class heros lately? theres almost no guitar at all in their song. just a beat and some guy in the back holding a guitar.
most people on here hate hip-hop music just to fit in with the whole rock and guitar crowd. most people are also fairly ignorant. i see a connection...

TS, i do agree with you on a lot of the stuff you said in the first post. those sparse guitar parts behind the heavy bass seems like a staple of hip-hop that features real instruments (as opposed to doing most things synth). throwing in seventh chords (not just minor seventh) can add some nice depth to the backing. another thing to consider is playing chord fragments and having the bass fill in the rest of the notes. so you might play the rooth and seventh (or one other note as well) while the bass fills in the third to give it the major/minor tonality and other notes (2nd/4th to make it suspended, 9th to extended it, etc.). this allows the bass to expand upon the basic framework of the guitar and keep things uncluttered while still maintaining a more complex bass line.

you may want to check out some older Rhythm and Blues artists or some motown for more ideas.
Kids, kids, KIDS! Can't we play nice?

Actually, there is a long- but not strong- history of guitar in hip-hop dating back to the early 1980s. Check out groups like Me Phi Me, Stetsasonic, Ice T/Bodycount, The Roots, Ozomatli, Beastie Boys, Spearhead and Tony, Toni, Toné.

Then there's LL Cool J's entire Unplugged performance on MTV (and that's just a short list- there are others).

Chuck D/Public Enemy discussed it in Guitar Player back in 01-JUL-06:
http://www.accessmylibrary.com/coms2/summary_0286-15425235_ITM

Besides rap bands using guitar, there are several rock/rap fusions out there- RATM, Mordred, 311, Hard Corp, Limp Bizkit, Aerosmith/Run-DMC, Anthrax/Public Enemy, and the entire Judgement Night soundtrack to name but a few.

In fact, one of my rapper clients was trying to form a rock/rap fusion band, but the other band members had too many other commitments, so the band ultimately collapsed. (FWIW, the lineup was a rapper in front of live drums, keyboards, electric bass, and acoustic guitar.)

In most cases, the use of guitar was only for a few songs on a given album, but it was there.

Stylistically, hip-hop guitar is derived from funk & soul styles, so it is chord-driven and somewhat minimalist, with soloing being almost non-existent. Sometimes, there are also jazz and blues influences as well.

In addition, your instincts are largely right on the money. Most- but not all of the players- tended towards a clean sound with minimal distortion and effects. Exceptions to this were largely from the rock/rap fusion side.

Looped or live, the bulk of the heavy lifting on any given rap song is done by the rhythm section and the rapper himself. The guitar is playing the role not unlike that of a lot of keyboard parts- giving the song some brightness and action in the upper registers so that the song isn't excessively bass-heavy.
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Dec 29, 2008,
Quote by dannyalcatraz
Kids, kids, KIDS! Can't we play nice?

Actually, there is a long- but not strong- history of guitar in hip-hop dating back to the early 1980s. Check out groups like Me Phi Me, Stetsasonic, Ice T/Bodycount, The Roots, Ozomatli, Beastie Boys, Spearhead and Tony, Toni, Toné.

Then there's LL Cool J's entire Unplugged performance on MTV (and that's just a short list- there are others).

Chuck D/Public Enemy discussed it in Guitar Player back in 01-JUL-06:
http://www.accessmylibrary.com/coms2/summary_0286-15425235_ITM

Besides rap bands using guitar, there are several rock/rap fusions out there- RATM, Mordred, 311, Hard Corp, Limp Bizkit, Aerosmith/Run-DMC, Anthrax/Public Enemy, and the entire Judgement Night soundtrack to name but a few.

In fact, one of my rapper clients was trying to form a rock/rap fusion band, but the other band members had too many other commitments, so the band ultimately collapsed. (FWIW, the lineup was a rapper in front of live drums, keyboards, electric bass, and acoustic guitar.)

In most cases, the use of guitar was only for a few songs on a given album, but it was there.

Stylistically, hip-hop guitar is derived from funk & soul styles, so it is chord-driven and somewhat minimalist, with soloing being almost non-existent. Sometimes, there are also jazz and blues influences as well.

In addition, your instincts are largely right on the money. Most- but not all of the players- tended towards a clean sound with minimal distortion and effects. Exceptions to this were largely from the rock/rap fusion side.

Looped or live, the bulk of the heavy lifting on any given rap song is done by the rhythm section and the rapper himself. The guitar is playing the role not unlike that of a lot of keyboard parts- giving the song some brightness and action in the upper registers so that the song isn't excessively bass-heavy.

those are the sort of answers that i find helpful
My Gear

After those watersheds I mentioned above, the next most important thing for Hip-Hop guitar was Ice-T's Bodycount. The metallic stylings on those albums combined with the gangsta-rap lyrics opened a lot of eyes & ears in the hip-hop community. That and rock/rap fusions introduced the artists to the edgier sound metal guitar in particular could add to a track.

You can hear the ripples it started in a lot of rap tracks today- its common enough that Snoop Dogg used metal guitar in a track he did for an episode of Monk last season.

Its still not really prevalent, but its a lot more common than it used to be. The most common guitar form in rap is still soul/funk based.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
try out a semi-hollow like a DOT or a variant
Standard Fender Telecaster
Fender Blues Jr
Ibz10
to me, it sounds like you're trying to create something new and not like anything before you, I know there's been rock rap stuff in the past but maybe, just maybe you wanna be an individual

So the best way to do this, is NOT taking peoples advice (except for mine :P) and going down to your local store, and trying out a bunch of guitars and amps and effects. See which shoe fits you. Since there hasn't been many bands doing this genre that are extremely popular (save a few...I know) you can make what ever kind of tone you want. this is a very experimental and different genre.
Peavey 6505+
Fender Hot Rod Deville 410
Fender Telecaster Blacktop
Gretsch G5120
listen to its been a good day by ice cube, some nice stuff for basing a guitar riff off of.
Strats, Teles
The Roots' guitarist uses a Les Paul i think
Without spiritual mentoring, too much freedom can lead to the soul's decay
- Prince
Another direction- seldom explored in hip-hop- is to use the guitar to create and "atmosphere"- something like what you see in certain branches of electronic music, particularly ambient.

Check out some of the later albums by Moby, a lot of Andy Summers' solo work, Death Cube K or Colma by Buckethead, a lot of Axiom label stuff by Bill Laswell (see also Material and Praxis), Nicky Skopelitis or Karsh Kale, Bootsy Collins' Zillatron Lord of the Harvest, or the "Frippertronics" electronic albums of Robert Fripp.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Quote by Tyranus-3121
Strats, Teles
The Roots' guitarist uses a Les Paul i think

strats not so much teles yes , gibsons , jacksons and parker fly guitars are great aswell
My Gear

Gym Class Heroes guitarist uses mainly strats and hollowbody gibsons

get something for a good clean tone, maybe with slight distortion (a pedal in the clean channel, for example) it also depends on your amp
I smiled at the m7 remark.

Next challenge: use m7b5 . ^^
Phrases Label
The Bohemes
---
The White Strat w/Dimebucker
Tokai Explorer Korina
Ibanez RG570 Purple Neon
Gibson Les Paul Deluxe Ebony
Fender Telecaster Apple Red
Dano '59 Burgundy
Ibanez Artcore AM-73
Ah yes, the classic!

When it comes to rock/rap fusion, Run-DMC struck first by covering Walk This Way in partnership with Aerosmith, but Anthrax covering Bring the Noise with Public Enemy was just as important.

Kudos and thank you for posting a hip hop performer using a guitar and not rapping about anything conforming to a stereotype.

Page 1 of 2