How do I use more than 1 scale in the same solo? Sounds quite boring when I just use a Minor pentatonic one, so other tips on how to spice up solos would also be appreciated. Thanks!
Learn your modes. Then you basically just fly around the neck after you realize it's all a big circle. It'll make more sense when you learn them.
Do you use all positions/boxes of the minor Pentatonic ?
I must stop wasting time in The Pit and practice!
Quote by llanafreak44
Learn your modes. Then you basically just fly around the neck after you realize it's all a big circle. It'll make more sense when you learn them.

You described exactly what I want! I don't want to do the same old blues solos over and over, so where do I learn modes?
Quote by smaniato
Do you use all positions/boxes of the minor Pentatonic ?

I just learnt one, like this in tab:
E 5,8
A 5,7
D 5,7
G 5,7
B 5,8
E 5,8
it takes a long time to learn all the modes
if u wanna cheat, use this site http://jguitar.com/
it helps with what scales to use in a solo
Gear
Ibanez RG2EX2
Epiphone Les Paul
Fender Strat
Homemade EVH
Marshall JCM 800 Combo

Quote by freshtunes
its not so much that i feel guilty about masturbating, its the things that i masturbate to that make me feel guilty.
^ agreed. Hands down the best way to improve your solos.

Also, I mix completely different scales up a lot during improv, sometimes its just a matter of aural training. You can look for the obvious changes as well (i.e. minor pent solo, with the blues scale mixed in for transistion notes). I personally switch between the minor ntaural and harmonic scales pretty often.
"You can drink an ugly chick hot, but you can’t drink a fat chick skinny."

Fender: HSS Stratocaster

Modulus: 1991 Q5

Peavey:158BASS
Marshall: MG30FDX
Acoustic: B200
Quote by 05t16
You described exactly what I want! I don't want to do the same old blues solos over and over, so where do I learn modes?

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/columns/the_guide_to/the_ultimate_guide_to_guitar_chapter_ii_2_scales_-_diatonic_scales_in_practice.html

awesome article, in plain english. Good luck bro.
"You can drink an ugly chick hot, but you can’t drink a fat chick skinny."

Fender: HSS Stratocaster

Modulus: 1991 Q5

Peavey:158BASS
Marshall: MG30FDX
Acoustic: B200
Quote by Sakattack75
it takes a long time to learn all the modes
if u wanna cheat, use this site http://jguitar.com/
it helps with what scales to use in a solo

how do i use that site?
u use the harmonizer and use the chord to scale function
put in the chords that u wanna solo over and it'll give u some scales to use
Gear
Ibanez RG2EX2
Epiphone Les Paul
Fender Strat
Homemade EVH
Marshall JCM 800 Combo

Quote by freshtunes
its not so much that i feel guilty about masturbating, its the things that i masturbate to that make me feel guilty.
Quote by 05t16

Modes have nothing whatsoever to do with playing all over the neck, trying to learn them now is just going to confuse matters.

There's absolutely no point "learning" more scales if you don't even know one scale in full yet. You could start by simply learning the other positions of the minor pentatonic but ultimately if you want to play all over the neck then you just need to learn your scales PROPERLY.

Learn the notes on the fretboard
Learn the notes and intervals of a scale
Locate that scale on the fretbard and realise it occurs all over the neck.

Have a read of Josh Urbans Crusade articles in the columns section.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
Modes have nothing whatsoever to do with playing all over the neck, trying to learn them now is just going to confuse matters.

There's absolutely no point "learning" more scales if you don't even know one scale in full yet. You could start by simply learning the other positions of the minor pentatonic but ultimately if you want to play all over the neck then you just need to learn your scales PROPERLY.

Learn the notes on the fretboard
Learn the notes and intervals of a scale
Locate that scale on the fretbard and realise it occurs all over the neck.

Have a read of Josh Urbans Crusade articles in the columns section.

Steve basically nailed it on the head, learning one position will do you absolutely no good when it comes to soloing, finding out where all the notes and positions of said scale all along the fretboard will do you a world of good.
Got a question about Baritone guitars? Feel free to PM me.

Thanks to UG, I converted from Metalcore to some "real" Metal.