Minor Scales don't have to sound sad do they?

Ive found a chord progression i like ( D maj, C maj, A maj) and i wrote out the D major scale but it doesnt have a normal C in it, just a C sharp, which doesnt sound right in the progression.

I had a look at the D minor scale and the chords fit with that so ive chosen to proceed with it but i just wondered, does a minor scale have to sound sad or can you make it sound happy?

This is a lil song thats meant to be happy you see.

Thanks in advance

db
It's not D minor if you have a D major chord.

And no, they don't HAVE to, but actually making something at the opposite end of the spectrum is probably not a good idea.

You can always change key midway through the song if you want one of those happy breakdown things, or maybe have one key for the verse and one for the chorus.
deleted due to stupidity
Guitars:
Gibson L. P std. 2006
Gibson L. P studio
Höfner asj228
Main amp:
Marshall 2061x HW head
Marshall 2061cx cab
fx:
Stock BD-2
TU-2
verbzilla
C.M. Red repeat
T-rex F.T.
Practice:
Epi vjr head
2x12 V30 cab and 4x10 G10 cab
Last edited by chrisdam at Dec 29, 2008,
Woah woah, hold on now.

First off, is H B or Bb? I just want to clarify for those who go by the other way.

Secondly, isn't D Dorian the equivilant of C major, and not D Minor?
deleted due to stupidity
Guitars:
Gibson L. P std. 2006
Gibson L. P studio
Höfner asj228
Main amp:
Marshall 2061x HW head
Marshall 2061cx cab
fx:
Stock BD-2
TU-2
verbzilla
C.M. Red repeat
T-rex F.T.
Practice:
Epi vjr head
Last edited by chrisdam at Dec 29, 2008,

D Dorian isn't the equivalent of C major, it just shares the same notes.

C major = WWHWWWH
D Dorian = WHWWWHW

Completely different interval structure.

On-topic;

Dmajor = DF#A
Cmajor = CEG
Amajor = AC#E

C-C#-D-E-F#-G-A

It isn't diatonic. I would play the changes over the chords.
haha im really tired today. Forget everything I said:P and listen to Aetius
Guitars:
Gibson L. P std. 2006
Gibson L. P studio
Höfner asj228
Main amp:
Marshall 2061x HW head
Marshall 2061cx cab
fx:
Stock BD-2
TU-2
verbzilla
C.M. Red repeat
T-rex F.T.
Practice:
Epi vjr head
I didnt understand a word of what you just said there man, im a bit of a theory retard (to Aetius)

Slightly off topic but as a way of learnin music theory, how is the Music Theory for dummies book?
How does it fit D minor if the first chord is d major lmao

It looks like a I - bVII - V progression in D major. The bVII is a borrowed chord from the parallel D minor scale. Look up borrowed chords if that doesn't make sense to you.
Quote by Ninjamonkey767
Woah woah, hold on now.

First off, is H B or Bb? I just want to clarify for those who go by the other way.

CORRECT and CORRECT.

H is historically Bb major. I think it was Mozart(correct me if I'm wrong) that wrote the piece in the keys of B major, A major, C Major and Bb Major hence spelling out the name "BACH". cute eh?

Don't say "equivalent" but say the "relative" Dorian mode of C major to avoid confusion. So yes, D Dorian can be seen as starting the Cmajor scale on the supertonic when approaching modes strictly through relative/diatonic relationships.

EDIT: I say H is Bb "historically" because I've heard of some S. American countries using the letter H for different purposes. But if you see H, it's always Bb Major.
Gear:
Inflatable Guitar
Digitech GSP 2101/Mosvalve 962/Yamaha S412V
My Imagination
So would that mean the the D Major scale (or D Maj. pentatonic or similar) would fit over it?
Its in D major.............
C major is pulled from the Diminished chord.
/thread
Quote by KryptNet
CORRECT and CORRECT.

H is historically Bb major. I think it was Mozart(correct me if I'm wrong) that wrote the piece in the keys of B major, A major, C Major and Bb Major hence spelling out the name "BACH". cute eh?

Don't say "equivalent" but say the "relative" Dorian mode of C major to avoid confusion. So yes, D Dorian can be seen as starting the Cmajor scale on the supertonic when approaching modes strictly through relative/diatonic relationships.

EDIT: I say H is Bb "historically" because I've heard of some S. American countries using the letter H for different purposes. But if you see H, it's always Bb Major.

I'm pretty sure it was Bach who signed his name in the music...

Quote by Lum
/thread

Eh..no. You can't "pull" a major chord out of a diminished chord, that makes no sense at all.
Quote by Lum
/thread
Don't type /thread when you provide information that makes absolutely no sense. That progression is most DEFINITELY not in Dmaj. For those chords to be in Dmaj, you will need: Dmaj, A7, and Cm7b5(or C 1/2 diminished)

and TS, a major scale will work over any major chord with the caveat that that chord is acting as your tonal center. Read: sometimes a progression will make a major scale over a major chord sound out of place due to the movement of the chord tones. But let me read your original post and see if I can help you out any further.

EDIT: thanks for the correction umm...Jacked on Crack is your username? hilarious
Gear:
Inflatable Guitar
Digitech GSP 2101/Mosvalve 962/Yamaha S412V
My Imagination
Quote by KryptNet
Don't type /thread when you provide information that makes absolutely no sense. That progression is most DEFINITELY not in Dmaj. For those chords to be in Dmaj, you will need: Dmaj, A7, and Cm7b5(or C 1/2 diminished)

and TS, a major scale will work over any major chord with the caveat that that chord is acting as your tonal center. Read: sometimes a progression will make a major scale over a major chord sound out of place due to the movement of the chord tones. But let me read your original post and see if I can help you out any further.

EDIT: thanks for the correction umm...Jacked on Crack is your username? hilarious

Yes its d major with the bVII borrowed from d minor. Perhaps you should not be throwing around such certain terms when you don't know what you are talking about?
okay i think i get this. I can use the d major right? And presumably any of its modes? or just the ionian? And if its not in D major, what is it in?

Also, do the modes work for minor scales in the smae principle? I understand how they work in major terms but i was just wondering whether they worked on the smae ideas for minor scales?
Quote by darthbuttchin
okay i think i get this. I can use the d major right? And presumably any of its modes? or just the ionian? And if its not in D major, what is it in?

Also, do the modes work for minor scales in the smae principle? I understand how they work in major terms but i was just wondering whether they worked on the smae ideas for minor scales?

Its D major, that other guy is a goober. You would have to alter the 7th when playing on the C chord to fit it. one scale isnt going to fit the whole thing because you are using both c and c# throughout. d major and lower the C on the c chord
Last edited by princess piggy at Dec 29, 2008,
Quote by KryptNet
CORRECT and CORRECT.

Nope. H is B
Guitars:
Gibson L. P std. 2006
Gibson L. P studio
Höfner asj228
Main amp:
Marshall 2061x HW head
Marshall 2061cx cab
fx:
Stock BD-2
TU-2
verbzilla
C.M. Red repeat
T-rex F.T.
Practice:
Epi vjr head
That progression is most DEFINITELY not in Dmaj.

It's in D major. One accidental does not break a key. There's a V-I from A to D, that's a pretty good indicator of key.

Minor Scales don't have to sound sad do they?

Nope.
Aaah, i was hoping Freepower would come in and tell me what was what. I find your advice to be most helpful.

Ill repeat a question i asked earlier :

Can you form modes from the Minor scale? If so, would you work them out in the same way as you do for Major modes?

Cheers for all the help so far,

db
Can you form modes from the Minor scale? If so, would you work them out in the same way as you do for Major modes?

Well, you can, but you'd be wasting a lot of time. If C major's 6th mode is A aeolian, then shurely A minor's modes relate in some way to the modes of C major?

C Ionian
D Dorian
E Phrygian
F Lydian
G Mixolydian
A Aeolian (minor)
B Locrian
C Ionian

D Dorian
E Phrygian
F Lydian
G Mixolydian
A Aeolian (minor)

Spot the pattern.
I do see a pattern, but what i meant was like say C minor. Would you do C minor ionian etc? Or would i just find the C aeolian and go from there?
Quote by darthbuttchin
Aaah, i was hoping Freepower would come in and tell me what was what. I find your advice to be most helpful.

Ill repeat a question i asked earlier :

Cheers for all the help so far,

db

cool give him credit when I said it first and gave a more in depth explanation
I would use D mixolydian over D and C and when the A chord comes up change C to C sharp.
Quote by darthbuttchin
I do see a pattern, but what i meant was like say C minor. Would you do C minor ionian etc? Or would i just find the C aeolian and go from there?

C aeolian and work from there.

Btw, don't worry too much about modal thinking. Keep plodding on the major and minor until you feel totally comfortable with them.
Ok cool. Cheers man. This modal thing is strange, i think ive nailed it, then i read a couple of different lessons and their respective comments on here and it all changes.