Do you all have seperate practice amps or do you use the same amp for gigging and practicing.
And what practice amps do you use - everyone doesn't seem to like Marshall MGs and Line6 Spiders, and people seem to be after 40 watt-ers to practice in their room, when I can't even turn up my 15-watt thing to halfway without the neighbours killing me.

My deluxe is basically just for gigging. I don't get many chances to crank it in my room.

This is where the Pod comes in handy.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Way to show everybody up jackass.

Guitar: _______________ Amp:
_ Ibanez SZ320 _________Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

V-Picks!
i usually practise unplugged and crank my amp when everyone's out
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
I think marshall mg's are good for headphone practice as they also have the cd-in. Same with the spider. But really for anything else they are horrible. For practicing in my appartment I have an old tranny amp with headphone out which I hook up my pedalboard to and only use with headphones, but will pick up something with a cd-in soon. The sound is not comparable to a cranked tube amp, but it is for me and many others Im sure the only option when living in an appartment I would have no problem picking up an mg or spider for that specific use I see how your wondering about people practicing on 40 watters:P me too. I use a 5 watt vjr in our rehaersal and thats loud enough for that really.
Guitars:
Gibson L. P std. 2006
Gibson L. P studio
Höfner asj228
Main amp:
Marshall 2061x HW head
Marshall 2061cx cab
fx:
Stock BD-2
TU-2
verbzilla
C.M. Red repeat
T-rex F.T.
Practice:
Epi vjr head
2x12 V30 cab and 4x10 G10 cab
Last edited by chrisdam at Dec 29, 2008,
Quote by chrisdam
I think marshall mg's are good for headphone practice as they also have the cd-in. Same with the spider. But really for anything else they are horrible. For practicing in my appartment I have an old tranny amp with headphone out, but will pick up something with a cd-in soon. The sound is not comparable to a cranked tube amp, but it is for me and many others Im sure the only option when living in an appartment I would have no problem picking up an mg or spider for that specific use

if youre using headphones why not get something decent like a pod?
I gave my Vox AD15VT to my Dad when I got my DSL as he had an MG30, so I've been using the DSL at low volumes, playing a bit louder when everybody is out. When I had my Korg AX10G at night I would play through it with headphones, but now I play unplugged at night.
Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
if youre using headphones why not get something decent like a pod?

I dont really have any experience with pods. But if I've understood right you need to have your computer on to use them, and that to me is a big minus
Guitars:
Gibson L. P std. 2006
Gibson L. P studio
Höfner asj228
Main amp:
Marshall 2061x HW head
Marshall 2061cx cab
fx:
Stock BD-2
TU-2
verbzilla
C.M. Red repeat
T-rex F.T.
Practice:
Epi vjr head
Quote by chrisdam
I dont really have any experience with pods. But if I've understood right you need to have your computer on to use them, and that to me is a big minus

you've understood wrong

as far as i know
yeah i just checked it out there are pods, and there are floor pods. Pods are for computer use, and the floor pods can be used like an fxboard, but also for cd'in and headphone practice. Quite expensive though, and dont need any of the effects thanks for the advice though. What makes you think they should be more decent for headphone use than say a spider or an mg?
Guitars:
Gibson L. P std. 2006
Gibson L. P studio
Höfner asj228
Main amp:
Marshall 2061x HW head
Marshall 2061cx cab
fx:
Stock BD-2
TU-2
verbzilla
C.M. Red repeat
T-rex F.T.
Practice:
Epi vjr head
Quote by chrisdam
yeah i just checked it out there are pods, and there are floor pods. Pods are for computer use, and the floor pods can be used like an fxboard, but also for cd'in and headphone practice. Quite expensive though, and dont need any of the effects thanks for the advice though. What makes you think they should be more decent for headphone use than say a spider or an mg?

i figured, why pay for a speaker if your not going to use it?
I built a 1 watt amp yesterday, its loud enough that you have to shout over it
Quote by seljer
I built a 1 watt amp yesterday, its loud enough that you have to shout over it

Nice selj. My 4watt Marshall MS-4 is pretty loud too for 4 watts, but that stays on my shelf just for the looks now.
Quote by AdamDK
If you don't want a floor pod there is always the Vox AmPlugs.

theyre just so quiet even on full volume but cute they are
Guitars:
Gibson L. P std. 2006
Gibson L. P studio
Höfner asj228
Main amp:
Marshall 2061x HW head
Marshall 2061cx cab
fx:
Stock BD-2
TU-2
verbzilla
C.M. Red repeat
T-rex F.T.
Practice:
Epi vjr head
Quote by chrisdam
Pods are for computer use

As far as I know, not really. You could just use that with headphones and start practicing. There's also other MFXs that are useful for practicing/quick recording, like the Korg Pandora.
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
yup I found that out with a little research some are for pc's some are not but will those be better for headphone use than say a spider or an mg?
Guitars:
Gibson L. P std. 2006
Gibson L. P studio
Höfner asj228
Main amp:
Marshall 2061x HW head
Marshall 2061cx cab
fx:
Stock BD-2
TU-2
verbzilla
C.M. Red repeat
T-rex F.T.
Practice:
Epi vjr head
Quote by chrisdam
yup I found that out with a little research some are for pc's some are not but will those be better for headphone use than say a spider or an mg?

Yes, because they're cheaper and you're not paying more for a speaker that you won't use.
I use a Digitech GNX3000 with headphones for the majority of my practice and things like the Pod XTL, Boss GT10 or Tonelab LE will all work exactly the same. Why do I prefer it to an amp like a Spider III or Marshall MG? The amp modeling if far better, there are far more amp models available, there's loads more effects and the whole thing is far more versatile. On top of that, everything can be altered with a simple tap of the foot and you could just as easily hook it up to a PA system and play a live gig. That's quite a lot for your money in my opinion, although it has to be said that most units that are this sophisticated will certainly cost a bit more than a basic Marshall MG.
Gibson Les Paul Studio with Catswhiskers pickups
PRS SE 'Floyd' Custom 24 with Creamery pickups
Fender Standard Stratocaster with DiMarzio pickups
Takamine GN30
BluGuitar AMP1
Does the Pocket Pod need a computer? I dunno, just asking. Also the Rockman Soloist may be worth checking out.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Most PODs do NOT need a computer to be used. I believe the Tone Ports are one of those models that needs a computer. But the 2.0, XT, Pocket Pod, X3, X3 Live, etc. don't need a computer. They are AWESOME for headphone practice and recording. They are also great live if you want to go straight into the house mixer and not hassle with bringing an amp. My lead guitarist currently uses an X3 Live.

For a practice AMP I currently use a VOX Valvetronix AD50VT. 50 watts is a bit of overkill for practice but I got a really good deal on it. They also offer 30, 15, and 100 watt versions. The amp has 11 amp models and built in effects. I plan to use it live for now, but will eventually upgrade to an additional live amp when I get the $$$. But for practice, the amp is perfect to me. Good amp models, decent effects, an attenuator so you don't need to push all 50 watts to get a nice tone, and a headphone out.
for practicing i either use my acoustic or run my guitar into my computer and use headphones. this is kinda nice because the way i have it set up i can play along to any song i want, play along to backing tracks in fruity loops or play along with guitar pro files. its nice for quiet practicing, but i probably just play my acoustic more often.

then if no one is around i can usually just use one of my amps on low volume. at school this means my BH little giant (which i can kinda turn up) and at home my classic 30. ive also got an old crate something or other that i can use for practice cause its only 15w SS, but i havent touched it in over a year.
Living in an apartment, I can't have a loud amp. I am happy with my Champion 600, but still needed something to use at night, or when my wife was watching tv. I was able to pick up Pod xt at GC on clearance for $199 this past weekend, and I've been happy. Good sound, and I love using it with Guitar Port Online (a program it came with).
Gear-
MIM Strat Standard
Epiphone Les Paul Ultra
Fender Champion 600 amp
Seagull Coastline S6 GT
I use my VK for practice and when playing live. At home, I turn the gain and volume sliders on my equalizer all the way down, and from there I can turn it up to about 5 before it gets too loud. Live, I turn the gain slider up, but leave the volume down. I haven't needed to raise it at all yet.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??