I'd really love a piezo pickup in my guitar, but the only guitar I can find with one installed is the rg1820x, which is 800 pounds. I'd like to spend no more then 450 pounds, as I need a new amp. Are there any piezo equiped guitars on the market, in that price range?

Also, Can I retrofit a piezo system, and what does it entail?

I'm in the uk, btw.

Thanks.
Italia Mondial Classic. I think they're about £400-500, my friend has one, and it's pretty good all round.
Quote by XxLloydxX
How young would you consider no-pedo attempt
Do you have the Korean Parkers across the pond? If so look in to the Parker P-36, it is a modern take on a telecaster with a piezo system. It should be around that price range.
^ word. Piezo pickups are a fairly easy, if somewhat expensive, retrofit for strat and les paul type guitars.
Fender Japan Stratocaster Ibanez Pro540 Power Ibanez Pro540 Saber Ibanez 430S Ibanez S540 Charvel LSXIII w/GraphTech Ghost MIDI Parker Fly Artist Ibanez S1220 Mesa F30 Roland GR20 Roland Microcube + IBANEZ TREMS STILL SUCK!
Quote by pifty
^ word. Piezo pickups are a fairly easy, if somewhat expensive, retrofit for strat and les paul type guitars.

From what I've been reading, from the few reviews I can find on them, they are quite difficult to instal. Have you had experience with them?
Quote by noses
From what I've been reading, from the few reviews I can find on them, they are quite difficult to instal. Have you had experience with them?
The Ibanez you mentioned in your original post is, I believe, wired with an L.R. Baggs piezo system. You can put the same system on any guitar, and you'll need two basic parts - a set of piezo saddles for your existing bridge or a new bridge preloaded with piezo saddles, plus the preamp.

The hardest part of the installation is probably drilling holes in your guitar for the piezo switch and volume control and the piezo output jack (unless you elect to use a clever stereo jack). The actual electronics involve a few solder joints to wire your existing pickups and the piezo output into the preamp. Not any harder than, say, swapping pickups. I've done it once on a strat type guitar, and it took me not more than a couple hours from start to finish, but then I'm a ninja with a soldering gun.

The hardware would cost about $300 on this side of the pond (think 200 quid).
Fender Japan Stratocaster Ibanez Pro540 Power Ibanez Pro540 Saber Ibanez 430S Ibanez S540 Charvel LSXIII w/GraphTech Ghost MIDI Parker Fly Artist Ibanez S1220 Mesa F30 Roland GR20 Roland Microcube + IBANEZ TREMS STILL SUCK!
Quote by pifty
The hardest part of the installation is probably drilling holes in your guitar for the piezo switch and volume control and the piezo output jack (unless you elect to use a clever stereo jack). The actual electronics involve a few solder joints to wire your existing pickups and the piezo output into the preamp. .

You probably don't want to wire your existing pickups into the preamp, though. Also, you'll probably need to route out a space for the preamp circuit.
Quote by XxLloydxX
Quote by monkey_dancer
You probably don't want to wire your existing pickups into the preamp, though.
You'll need to if you want to mix mag and piezo.
Quote by pifty
You'll need to if you want to mix mag and piezo.

Unless you dual-output it to different amps. Thats what I'd do, although I do admit it's less practical than mixing them through the preamp into the single output.

Still, you will lose the passive pickup sound.
Quote by XxLloydxX
Last edited by monkey_dancer at Dec 29, 2008,
Quote by monkey_dancer
Unless you dual-output it to different amps. Thats what I'd do, although I do admit it's less practical than mixing them through the preamp into the single output.

Still, you will lose the passive pickup sound.

Yeah, I'd like to split it, into an acoustic and an electirc amp, to do each pickup justice. However, I'd like to mix them. I believe the ibanez models have botha stereo jack, and a mono, so you can split, or mix. But, it seems like it would be quite an ordeal to set something like that up.
Quote by pifty
The Ibanez you mentioned in your original post is, I believe, wired with an L.R. Baggs piezo system. You can put the same system on any guitar, and you'll need two basic parts - a set of piezo saddles for your existing bridge or a new bridge preloaded with piezo saddles, plus the preamp.

The hardest part of the installation is probably drilling holes in your guitar for the piezo switch and volume control and the piezo output jack (unless you elect to use a clever stereo jack). The actual electronics involve a few solder joints to wire your existing pickups and the piezo output into the preamp. Not any harder than, say, swapping pickups. I've done it once on a strat type guitar, and it took me not more than a couple hours from start to finish, but then I'm a ninja with a soldering gun.

The hardware would cost about $300 on this side of the pond (think 200 quid).

I think, considering the work involved, and the cost, I would probably get much better value for money if I bought it pre-installed. Especially considering it wouldn;t necessarily add, but probably subtract from the re-sale value of my guitar. Since I am in the market for a new guitar, if I fell in love with a guitar that didn;t have piezo installed, I would probably consider adding the piezo, but I'd rather just fall in love with a pre-installed-piezo one. lol
Last edited by noses at Dec 29, 2008,
michael kelly hybrid and hybrid special both have this feature. the hybrid has one pickup plus the piezo, while the special has two that are coil split as well as the piezo. im not sure how much the are in the UK, but i would think that at least the plain hybrid would be under your budget. my room mate has the special, and it is a very nice guitar.
Quote by jof1029
michael kelly hybrid and hybrid special both have this feature. the hybrid has one pickup plus the piezo, while the special has two that are coil split as well as the piezo. im not sure how much the are in the UK, but i would think that at least the plain hybrid would be under your budget. my room mate has the special, and it is a very nice guitar.

mmm, I think I'd rather go for a solid body. It's a nice guitar, though. I can't find any in the uk, either.
Quote by noses
I think, considering the work involved, and the cost, I would probably get much better value for money if I bought it pre-installed.
It usually is better to get it preinstalled - you'll have accurate controls, precise wiring, stereo signal routing et al. But then, even if you don't consider the price markup for an OEM piezo pickup, the choice is still pretty limited.

If you get a shot at that Ibanez, it's an all-around great guitar. Neck, body, bridge, plus piezos; 800 quid isn't really a tough sell for one of those, it costs more over here. Most other things in terms of piezo solidbodies would be Parker of EBMM territory, and that's also not quite low budget solutions.
^^ yeah, thats the only downside of the hybrids, the semi hollow body isnt always what people want. it sounds great on both types of pickups, but with too much gain can get a little feedback-y. unfortunatly they dont seem to have any solid body guitars with piezo pickups.

good luck with the search though, piezos into one amp and magnetic pickups into another sounds fantastic so you should be happy with a guitar with both