Soo i recently decided to undertake alternate picking (I "alt." picked before but i wasn't precise or fast, it was just kind of how i played) and i was wondering if playing on acoustic might help to build up both right and left hand technique or if it would only benefit one, or if i might as well just do my exercises on acoustic.

I've been doing alot of Chromatic runs (john Petrucci Rock Discipline stuff) and working on my three not per string scales and my "outside" picking.

Soo i wanted ask you ugers if you think the acoustic method is the way to go? I mean i"ll obviously still put tons of practice time into electric but i wanna hear some opinios before i embark on my acoustical journey.
It helps, but i think is a waste of time practicing licks on the acoustic that eventually you will play only on the electric. Of course, if you want to shred on the acoustic as well, that is the way to go.
Besides being a guitar player, I'm a big fan of the guitar. I love that damn instrument. Steve Vai

Gear:
Kramer Striker FR422SM
Roland Microcube
Digitech Bad Monkey
Dunlop Tortex 1.14mm picks

MY VIDEOS
Anything you play on the acoustic will obviously be more difficult than the electric, so you'll find that the licks you were playing you can pull off easily on your electric.. I say go for it.
I think learning to play guitar on acoustic helps in the long run, cause I have a friend who learned on electric and is really bad at acoustic. However, I find that practicing stuff I'm gonna play electric on an electric is best. Practice at the fastest speed where you can hit every note perfectly and increase speed as you see necessary. Check out the 21-day method.
Schecter Gryphon; Ibanez AEG20E
Peavey Rage 158 ; TRAYNOR YCS50
EHX Big Muff Pi; Dunlop CryBaby GCB-95 (modded); MXR M-108 10-band; DigiTech JamMan Looper
Quote by BD 425
I think learning to play guitar on acoustic helps in the long run, cause I have a friend who learned on electric and is really bad at acoustic. However, I find that practicing stuff I'm gonna play electric on an electric is best. Practice at the fastest speed where you can hit every note perfectly and increase speed as you see necessary. Check out the 21-day method.

Well im just looking at building up my speed, but i'd had thought about the idea for licks, and yeah i've seen the 21 day method thing (30 minutes a day was it?) and i've been incorporating that into any tough likcs i've been learninng.

Thanks for all the responses! i'm thinking i might spend maybe twenty minutes everyday doing my exercises on acoustic and then another twenty with the exercises on electric afterwards
I say do it on acoustic. Because the action is general higher and the playability is harder therefore when you switch to electric the guitar is butter. I do it a lot.
Acoustical.... hmmmm...
MARK ALL THAT APPLY:

[_] [_] [_] [_] [x]

Quote by cagnius
Shut up. Actually, higher mods...can we ban him for being a cunt?
Acoustic guitars will show up guitarists with poor technique pretty quickly, especially "wimpy" pickers. If you want to play both, practice on both. Playing acoustic will not supercharge your practice.
do it on the acoustic first, then do it on the electric.

Your electric will be less "bulky" and as someone above me said, the action will be lower.

This means your fingers will find it easier (bs, it just works out that way) so you'll be able to play it faster. But not straight away of course, you'd have to practice to build up the speed, but playing will be easier.
You'll find the switch is a bit of a shock though. I always do when ive played acoustic for ages, switichin to electric is a bit of a mind**** tbh. But u adjust pretty quickly.
If you listen to players who spent most of their time fast picking on acoustic, their picking on electric sounds rather harsh (see mclaughin and al di meola)
Originally posted by TapMaster
If you break a JEM you know your going to go to hell when you die

Only member of the 'This is too immature for me' club.
Quote by AbombO.S.
Soo i recently decided to undertake alternate picking (I "alt." picked before but i wasn't precise or fast, it was just kind of how i played) and i was wondering if playing on acoustic might help to build up both right and left hand technique or if it would only benefit one, or if i might as well just do my exercises on acoustic.

I've been doing alot of Chromatic runs (john Petrucci Rock Discipline stuff) and working on my three not per string scales and my "outside" picking.

Soo i wanted ask you ugers if you think the acoustic method is the way to go? I mean i"ll obviously still put tons of practice time into electric but i wanna hear some opinios before i embark on my acoustical journey.

It wont be any more beneficial then doing it on electric. You'll get better at alt picking on acoustic though, which is good if you plan to play alot of acoustic.
shred is gaudy music
Personally, I believe a mixture of both is the best way to improve. Don't just limit yourself to one medium.

It also depends on the guitar too, I have acoustics that are easier to play then (some) eletrics.
Just don't become too dependant on one over the other, it's all about balance my friend
Originally posted by turinbrakes
actually YOU SUCK

"I once read a poem, held my breath
But that moment's gone
First time I felt life, somewhat hurts
Need an option and some hope "

Anders Fridén