Hey guys, I was wondering if theres any real differences between the Yamaha Pacifica 112 and the Yamaha Pacifica 812v? Like what are the major differences? I'm going to start playing from today (beginner) and I have to buy either one today like in 4 hours. I can either get the pacifica 112 with case,amp,cables,picks etc for around $500 or get the pacifica 812 for $500 with gig-bag and extra money for the other stuff. I mean differences as in like sound, will I able to hear the difference between the two guitars? Thanks
The 112 is a beginner's guitar, a fairly good one (often recommended here).

But the 812 is A LOT better. It has:
- Better wood
- Better craftsmanship
- Better tuners
- Better tremolo (and hardware in general)
- Better Pickups and electronics

No matter how much you mod and upgrade a 112, it will never be as good as the 812. The 812 is imo one of the finest guitars that have ever been made in Korea and it is imo better than any Mexican Fender and rivals American Fenders.

Still not sure whether the guy you're buying it from is trying to scam you, right?
HEY TheQuailman lol. I still havent been able to buy the guitar from the seller because the person is aways not home when my parents are home to meet the person. Anyways did you get my pm that I sent you like 2 days ago?
Here it is:

Korea Rocks wrote on Dec 28th, 2008 at 5:03am :
The seller and I are meeting half way so no amp would be used (I think). So that might be a little problem :S.

Hmm, that's a problem because you won't be able to check if the electronics work. It'd probably be better if you went to the seller's place and had him play it for you.

If that's not possible, check the guitar for any visible flaws like finish cracks or rust (check the screws on the pickguard. If they're rusty, there's no way in hell the guitar is just a month or so old).
Also check the neck. If it is bent to the left or right, something is wrong. There has to be a little neck bow towards the strings to keep the strings from buzzing, but if it's got so much bow that the strings are an inch away from the fretboard at the guitar's neck joint, that's not all right anymore. It's normal that the neck has more bow towards the strings on the side with the wound strings than on the side with the non-wound ones.
See if the fret ends are sharp - I don't expect this to be the case because I've never seen a Yamaha with that problem, but it's important to check that on a guitar anyway. If the ends are sharp, you might end up cutting open your hands while playing.

I hope I didn't forget anything important.... - Oh yeah, don't get paranoid about it. It's most likely that the guitar is in perfect working order.

If at all possible, bring a friend or relative who can play guitar, bass or some other stringed instrument with you to have a look at it.
. There has to be a little neck bow towards the strings to keep the strings from buzzing, but if it's got so much bow that the strings are an inch away from the fretboard at the guitar's neck joint, that's not all right anymore. It's normal that the neck has more bow towards the strings on the side with the wound strings than on the side with the non-wound ones.

:S What does that mean?
This picture is not too great but it's the only one I can find right now:

The neck (blue) is bent towards the strings (red), so it has some up-bow, because if it was straight, the strings would hit the frets when vibrating, causing fret buzz. Fret buzz does not necessarily affect a guitar's amplified tone, but it'll cause notes die quicker than usual.

If the guitar is set up properly, there is a tiny gap between fretboard and strings, as seen in the bottom picture. If the neck has too much up bow though (upper pic) it is hard to play because the gap between strings and the fretboard is too big, if it has back-bow or now bow at all (middle pics) the strings will buzz.

If the guitar has extreme up- or back-bow, chances are the neck is twised and can't be set up properly anymore. This is also the case if the neck looks somewhat like this:

You can see how the neck is twisted. It is practically not usable like that and often enough beyond repair.

Wait a couple of minutes, I'll take some pictures of my guitar to explain some more.
Okay so the neck has to be straight right and not bented?

Edit: so there has to be a little gap while the neck has a little up bow or straight? What do you think is an okay gap, like in mm or cm? I'm starting to learn more about guitars :P.

Edit: The very bottom picture of the setups is a good one right?
Last edited by Korea Rocks at Dec 29, 2008,
It has to be bent only a little, like in the "typical setup" pic. You won't even notice it's bent unless you look down the neck. I tried to make some pics of that view, but I can't get a sharp picture at a good angle with my digicam, sorry.

I know I'm not helping making you feel comfortable about this, but the chances that there is anything wrong with the guitar are really really slim. I'm just showing you the worst-case scenarios.
Basically, if the guitar is playable and the strings don't buzz too much it's good. Small imperfections in the setup can be corrected. Just make sure the neck is not bent like crazy. If you can see it's bent from a distance of several meters or somethings it's most likely twisted beyond repair, otherwise it's okay.

If the neck is absolutely straight, it has been setup wrongly, but is not damaged at all. You'll just have to set it up later yourself and it will be fine.
Quote by Korea Rocks
Edit: so there has to be a little gap while the neck has a little up bow or straight? What do you think is an okay gap, like in mm or cm? I'm starting to learn more about guitars :P.

On my guitar, I have a maximum of 5mm, where the neck joins the body. It could be a little more on the 812, it could as well be less. If it's more than 1cm I'd be suspicious (personally, I don't know anyone who'd set his guitar up like that). If it's less that's alright unless you can clearly see that the neck has back-bow (second picture from above).

Quote by Korea Rocks

Edit: The very bottom picture of the setups is a good one right?

Yes.
Thank a lot and ya this is making more understand more. You should be like a guitar tutor or something XD