Why are there no hardtail guitars with locking Floyd Rose type nuts? I suppose you could just use locking tuners on a hardtail, but the way I see it a locking nut would have a couple of advantages. For one you'd never have to worry about the nut wearing out or giving you any type of problems because it's made of metal. Secondly, it's a whole lot easier to just loosen three allen screws versus six individual tuners.

So tell me, why don't we see any hardtails with FR type nuts on them?
Quote by Rick540
it's a whole lot easier to just loosen three allen screws versus six individual tuners.

What?
The locking nut is to keep the strings in tune with tremolo use.

A fixed bridge doesn't move. The tuners shouldn't turn on their own if they're properly made. Nuts are specially made so they don't wear out too quickly. These days, you get nuts coated with teflon and stuff.

A locking nut would just make it a bitch to tune, as you have to loosen in every time. There's really no reason for doing it. A fixed bridge will stay in tune well enough.

And you seem to be forgetting that to tune with a locking nut, you have to loosen 3 screws, tune 6 individual tuners, and then tighten the 3 screws again, after which it may go out of tune from being too tight.

Aaaaaand if you couldn't be bothered to read all that, here's the Ibanez Mick Thompson model

Floyd rose FIXED BRIDGE, locking nut. Hope you're happy.
Because the tuning goes slightly sharp when you lock the nut. The position of the tuning pegs isn't the only thing affecting the tuning. Humidity, temperature and age of the string all have influence on the tuning. Have a look at the Ibanez MTM1 though. It has a locking nut and a bridge with fine tuners.
Quote by lizarday
oh yeah? well larry king the slayer guitarist owns bc rich guitars. (i think)
Quote by Rick540
Secondly, it's a whole lot easier to just loosen three allen screws versus six individual tuners.

Please tell me how you tune the guitar just by loosening 3 screws. I think you forget that you have to turn the tuner keys to tune it.
Quote by Rick540
Secondly, it's a whole lot easier to just loosen three allen screws versus six individual tuners.

what?
Locking nut is for a locking tremelo system, so when you do those crazy divebombs it doesnt go out of tune(or other whammy crap).
Hardtail/stoptail dont have whammy bars. So there would be no point for a locking nut.
It's like the hassle of the floyd rose without the floyd rose.
...are you new to UG?
Quote by Green_Jelly
Because the tuning goes slightly sharp when you lock the nut. The position of the tuning pegs isn't the only thing affecting the tuning. Humidity, temperature and age of the string all have influence on the tuning. Have a look at the Ibanez MTM1 though. It has a locking nut and a bridge with fine tuners.

+1

This is the major reason why a floating trem system has fine tuners to begin with...the pressure applied to the strings by clamping the nut down makes all 6 strings go sharp. I see your idea, having the locking nut/no whammy bar would make the tuning more stable but the fixed bridge would have to be a floyd type with adjustability...as the MTM1 does...otherwise you would always have a guitar thats out of tune.
Last edited by eyebanez333 at Dec 29, 2008,
I have a fixed FR bridge with a locking nut installed on my current guitar. Regarding staying in tune: it is, without doubt, the most stable guitar I've ever messed with. It's a better idea than a lot of people realize.
ESP LTD EC-256 and a Fender Deluxe VM