i saw the other thread about the guy looking for a distortion pedal and he said he'd rather get a distortion pedal than a noise gate. would a distortion pedal really decrease noise and hum as opposed to the gain on the amp?
Quote by Jackintehbox
Pedophilia all the way man. Go for it.

Quote by deathbat831
hahaha i thought you wrote Philidelphia all the way, i was like yeah philidelphias cool i spose

Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
I'm always too embarrassed to buy condoms. Saran wrap is cheaper, anyway.
Distortion pedal vs amp overdrive + noise gate

This will depend on what distortion you want, and whether that's available from your amp. If you've got a Marshall, and want to be able to use it's gain and volume at 10, but without the hum and excess noise, then get a noise gate.

If you like your amp's overdrive for crunch or clean tones, but want some more extreme distortion sometimes, get a distortion pedal that delivers that extra level.

A distortion pedal won't decrease hum and noise - in my experience, they increase it. If you want extra gain and less noise, then you would need to get a distortion pedal and a noise gate.
If you were to use the clean channel on the amp! And use a distortion pedal as your primary distortion. Than in effect you wouldn't need a noise gate. High gain is what generally causes your amp to feed back so by turning the gain on and off you eliminate the need for a noise gate.

Also no noise gate is one less pedal in the signal chain. Which means less coloration of the input signal.
If you start a reply with: I have never played one but I have heard good things about it! Your opinion is invalid.
so say i don't like my amp's distortion that much and i get a dist. pedal. if i put the amp on the clean setting and use the pedal, there won't be as much noise?
Quote by Jackintehbox

Quote by deathbat831
hahaha i thought you wrote Philidelphia all the way, i was like yeah philidelphias cool i spose

Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
If you turn the pedal off when your not using it. No there won't be as much noise.

Thats the point of the noise gate to silence the hum and feedback you get when your not playing.
If you start a reply with: I have never played one but I have heard good things about it! Your opinion is invalid.
Quote by clay pots
so say i don't like my amp's distortion that much and i get a dist. pedal. if i put the amp on the clean setting and use the pedal, there won't be as much noise?

Clean channel = minimum noise

Clean channel + distortion pedal = some noise -> lots of noise (depending on how much distortion you put on)

OD channel = more noise

OD channel + distortion pedal = lots of noise
Quote by blue_strat
Clean channel = minimum noise

Clean channel + distortion pedal = some noise -> lots of noise (depending on how much distortion you put on)

OD channel = more noise

OD channel + distortion pedal = lots of noise

oh, alright. thanks guys.
Quote by Jackintehbox

Quote by deathbat831

Quote by SomeoneYouKnew