Hey guys,

I just recently got a Jackson DXMG. the purpose of this guitar was so I can bring my les paul back up to standard and use the Jackson primarily for Drop C tuning. I've done some research and I see that if you want a true kickass sounding guitar for Drop C, it requires some tuning. I've read about intonation, the truss bar, and that I may need to take a spring or two out of the back of the guitar.

When I first got the guitar I dropped it right into Drop C, because when I did this with my les paul there were no problems and I figured it would be the same. However, the Jackson buzzed like crazy! I played around with the bridge a bit and I loosened it and most of the buzzing stopped, however there's still some buzzing on the C string (D string in standard). I also have packs of thicker strings sitting here that I plan on putting on. The strings are from 11-54 like so.. 11-15-22-30-42-54 They are Ernie Ball Beefy Slinky strings. I am aware I can't just throw on thicker strings and expect it to sound it's best.

What i'm getting at here, is could someone point me in the right direction on what I will need to do with my guitar. I have no problem going at it myself if there is no risk in severely messing up my guitar, (although I will have to be extra careful with the truss bar if I need to adjust that) and any directions on what springs I would need to take out, or anything would be much appreciated. I've been playing for a little while but I never really adjusted anything on a guitar. I'm not a handy newb either so I should be able to handle it. I figured you guys in this section would most know your way around a guitar.

Thanks in advance everyone!
-jigsaw
I'm not sure about removing springs or truss rod adjustments, but you'll almost certainly have to raise the action.
Quote by timi_hendrix
That looks like a digestive biscuit that's been thrown up by a cat.
Go to a pro and let him set up the guitar.

Kramer Focus 3000
Ibanez ATK300
Rocktron Chameleon
Digitech IPS33B
Ibanez WH10
Korg Pitchblack
Line6 UX2
Thicker strings will increase your string tension, and reduce the fret buzz. Tbh, when you're tuning lower, just chucking on a set of thicker strings WILL usually fix everything. The only thing you'll have to do differently to the Gibson, is to rebalance your trem (I assume it's a licensed Floyd Rose).
Thanks for the opinions.. I just want to know what's needed. If there isn't much needed, i'm not gonna pay out the ass to have a pro string my guitar, you know what I mean?

However, quick question. What exactly is the "action?" I've been told it's two different things and I am unsure.
Quote by 001 jigsaw
Thanks for the opinions.. I just want to know what's needed. If there isn't much needed, i'm not gonna pay out the ass to have a pro string my guitar, you know what I mean?

However, quick question. What exactly is the "action?" I've been told it's two different things and I am unsure.

Action's just the height of the strings above the fingerboard.

Low action means that the strings are super-close to the frets, and it's easy to fret notes, play fast, and the string tension's slightly reduced.
Quote by 001 jigsaw
Hey guys,

I just recently got a Jackson DXMG. the purpose of this guitar was so I can bring my les paul back up to standard and use the Jackson primarily for Drop C tuning. I've done some research and I see that if you want a true kickass sounding guitar for Drop C, it requires some tuning. I've read about intonation, the truss bar, and that I may need to take a spring or two out of the back of the guitar.

When I first got the guitar I dropped it right into Drop C, because when I did this with my les paul there were no problems and I figured it would be the same. However, the Jackson buzzed like crazy! I played around with the bridge a bit and I loosened it and most of the buzzing stopped, however there's still some buzzing on the C string (D string in standard). I also have packs of thicker strings sitting here that I plan on putting on. The strings are from 11-54 like so.. 11-15-22-30-42-54 They are Ernie Ball Beefy Slinky strings. I am aware I can't just throw on thicker strings and expect it to sound it's best.

What i'm getting at here, is could someone point me in the right direction on what I will need to do with my guitar. I have no problem going at it myself if there is no risk in severely messing up my guitar, (although I will have to be extra careful with the truss bar if I need to adjust that) and any directions on what springs I would need to take out, or anything would be much appreciated. I've been playing for a little while but I never really adjusted anything on a guitar. I'm not a handy newb either so I should be able to handle it. I figured you guys in this section would most know your way around a guitar.

Thanks in advance everyone!
-jigsaw

Tuning is required for pretty much any tuning.
But bigger strings and adjusting your action at the bridge should help at least some if not resolve the problem.
Brigardier of the Seven String E.R.G. Legion
Fiddles
Ibby RG7321 lundgren M7 bridge, blaze7 neck
Ibby AX7521
Ibby RT452
Ibby RGIR20FE
Peedahls
I'll get back to you.
Heeds
Crate GT3500h
Sunn Concert PA
Crabs
Peavey 2x12
Alright, I put the strings on, and not until the end I noticed something was wrong..

Look how high the tremolo system is.

The hell did I do? Not only is it that high, but as you can see the strings are WAY too far away. I know that's where adjusting the action comes into play as far as the strings go.. but what the hell made the system raise up like that? I tried adjusting the bridge but I didn't see it making much a difference.

Oops.
The problem is that the new strings have more tension than the old ones, so they pull the bridge up further.

To counter that, either add more springs, or screw the trem claw into the back of the guitar further.. then retune.

Edit: I did say that you'd need to re-balance your floating trem.

Edit: You also appear to be playing through a Line6 Spider, and you have some kind of nail varnish on. I'll ignore that, though.
Quote by -MintSauce-
The problem is that the new strings have more tension than the old ones, so they pull the bridge up further.

To counter that, either add more springs, or screw the trem claw into the back of the guitar further.. then retune.

Edit: I did say that you'd need to re-balance your floating trem.

Edit: You also appear to be playing through a Line6 Spider, and you have some kind of nail varnish on. I'll ignore that, though.

Lolol.. Don't like the Line 6? I think it does it's job. I took off the back plate 10 minutes ago and tightened up the springs, it's almost all the way down. I need to go get a bigger screwdriver. The screws are almost in all the way, I hope it'll make it all the way down. I appreciate all your help so far though, this is how we all learn.

Btw, that Alexi build your working on looks badass. I didn't get to look through everything but the design is awesome. Alexi's the man.
Quote by 001 jigsaw
Lolol.. Don't like the Line 6? I think it does it's job. I took off the back plate 10 minutes ago and tightened up the springs, it's almost all the way down. I need to go get a bigger screwdriver. The screws are almost in all the way, I hope it'll make it all the way down. I appreciate all your help so far though, this is how we all learn.

Btw, that Alexi build your working on looks badass. I didn't get to look through everything but the design is awesome. Alexi's the man.

Man, I was only messing. No amp's totally perfect, any amp lets you play guitar nice and loud, and it's not anyone's place to judge someone else's gear - as long as you like it and it works for you, that's what counts.

As for the LFR:

If the claw is going to screw in totally, you'll need to get another spring or two. Also doing the whole operation very slowly - tighten the screws by one or two turns, then retune.. and repeat. It'll take ages, but the patience pays off.

Once you've done that and got it tuned up, adjust your action by lowering or raising the mounting posts of the bridge. If you do that, you'll then need to check the balance of the bridge again, but it shouldn't be far out.
Quote by -MintSauce-

I was going to say something but you pretty much covered it. The things that annoy me about these threads is there are multiple stickies that cover the floyd deal. I understand you're asking about setting it up but there are multiple threads on that too. Not saying I've never posted a stupid thread on here but come on..
Gear

93 Jackson Dinky Professional Reverse
98 Jackson Kelly KE3

Peavey Bandit 112
Custom 2x10 cab w/Bugeras
Quote by shredforbread33
I was going to say something but you pretty much covered it. The things that annoy me about these threads is there are multiple stickies that cover the floyd deal. I understand you're asking about setting it up but there are multiple threads on that too. Not saying I've never posted a stupid thread on here but come on..

A lot of the time though, it's more a case of someone not knowing what they're looking for. It's all well and good having tutorials on re-balancing a floating vibrato, but that doesn't help someone who knows they need to do something to their guitar, but doesn't know what it's called.

I'm not trying to start an argument here, and I agree with hating the laziness around here, but I don't think that was the case with TS.
Quote by -MintSauce-
A lot of the time though, it's more a case of someone not knowing what they're looking for. It's all well and good having tutorials on re-balancing a floating vibrato, but that doesn't help someone who knows they need to do something to their guitar, but doesn't know what it's called.

I'm not trying to start an argument here, and I agree with hating the laziness around here, but I don't think that was the case with TS.

Yup, that was pretty much it. I knew something was needed to be done, and until now, I didn't know what any of these parts were called, the terms, or anything. However after starting this thread I've done a crapload of research as well. The guitar is perfect now, and I did back off on the tension of the springs because after I retuned I found my tremolo hitting the stop, so i loosened it again. Later tonight I'll loosen the action a bit as the 12th fret string position is a bit high. I appreciate it, I wanna learn everything first hand so I know what to do when something is wrong with my guitar, and to help others too. Once again thanks a lot everybody, looks like i'm gonna learn a fair share of good info on here

-jigsaw