Page 1 of 2
i have a peavey valveking 112 and i have been looking at gettin an od pedal. will an od pedal bring out my pinch harmonics better?also can i use it to boost my boss mt-2? would a wylde overdrive work for classic rock as well as the metal i usually play?
I really like the Wylde OD. I've heard Buddy Guy also uses it for blues, so it's pretty versatile.
Alvarez dreadnought
Gibson SG
EC-1000
Homemade Strat (seymour duncan classic stack p/ups)
Vox Tonelab (original desktop model) with full board footswitch
Vox AD50
better use boss cs-3 compressor to boost your sound, that way you could also increase the volume and make a unique solo sound.
^ except the CS-3 isnt a boost, its a compressor. it wont boost your sound, just even it out. if you are able to really notice a compressor when its on, you arent doing it right. compression is a sublte effect that you more notice when its not there then when you turn it on. combine that with the fact that the CS-3 isnt even a good compressor, and i dont really think thats a great idea.

personally id go with the ts-9. the BM is supposed to be really nice, but there is a reason the ts-9 is a classic pedal. it holds up well to gigging or home use, sounds good and seems like its good for what you want. any boost will help you add a bit of gain, tighten up your sound, and should help bring out your harmonics. sure most od pedals will do this, but the BM is more seen as a budget tubescreamer copy that does the job well. but if you can afford the real thing, why not get it? not to say that the ts-9 is the best tubescreamer or copy out there, i just think that most others that are better cost more.
dont say things what you dont know, you can use compressor as a boost, just use it behind a distortion.

Turn the level up and your sound will be louder and better for soloing.

You can use a lot of things for boost like- equaliser , overdrive, compressor.

and yeah compressors can be used as a boost.
I have owned both models modded and un-modded. Also just recently sold my Valveking.

The BM is a far better pedal if you are after just boosting the amp. Basically using it as a clean boost (dime the level and 0 out the gain). Its alot more transparent and it has alot more level on tap then the TS9 so it can push it harder. The TS9 colors your tone quite a bit vs the bad monkey and what little coloration it does can be taken out with a mod. And it tightens the hell out of an amp. So that said its alot better clean boost in my opinion.

Now the BM vs the TS9 as a stand alone pedal. The TS9 beats it hands down if your using it to mimic an overdriven tube amp example actually turning up the gain knob then the TS9 is your pedal its going to sound better and warmer. So using the pedal as an OD, the TS9 is a better pedal in my opinion.

So the end result for metal I love the BM and it does a great job of pushing those preamp tubes harder so getting pinch harmonics can be much easier with this pedal.

And I was scared about reliability as well. But my BM has been great and god knows TS9's are not without there flaws. There on/off switch is a known issue and are prone to go out.
Last edited by IbanezPsycho at Dec 29, 2008,
Quote by scream92
dont say things what you dont know, you can use compressor as a boost, just use it behind a distortion.

You're arguing with a mod!??

But no, a compressor will NOT boost your signal. A compressor evens everything out so that all of the notes will come through at an even volume.

TS: I would go with the TS-9. I'm a bit leery of Digitech pedals, even though the Bad Monkey is suppose to be rather nice.
^ he can argue with any mod he wants if he thinks he is right. now the fact that he is wrong is the problem here, not the fact that he disagrees with me. you can set the output level of a compressor so it is greater than unity, but thats not really what you want to do to boost an amp. it adds more noise and doesnt really boost things the right way to make it useful as a solo boost.

and i still stand by the fact that the CS-3 is not a good compressor and is even worse for use in the application suggested. a keeley comp might work as a solo boost because it is high quality and you can control 4 important parameters, but its still not the best thing for the job. a cheap compressor like the CS-3 will just suck tone and add a lot of hiss to the signal, which is pretty much a bad choice for using as any sort of boost.
Quote by scream92

Arguing the incorrect side of an argument while losing to a mod(their appointed for a reason. Namely knowing what their saying). Brilliant. [/sarcasm]

Anyway, TS, get the TS9. The BM is decent for the price, but even then, I stay away from any pedal encased in plastic as a rule, so I'd get the TS9. As the Jof said, it's a classic for a reason.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 50-54
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 0-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 0-0
Quote by necrosis1193
Arguing the incorrect side of an argument while losing to a mod(their appointed for a reason. Namely knowing what their saying). Brilliant. [/sarcasm]

Anyway, TS, get the TS9. The BM is decent for the price, but even then, I stay away from any pedal encased in plastic as a rule, so I'd get the TS9. As the Jof said, it's a classic for a reason.

I love how people tell others to get something and they obvisiously have never touched the pedal in question nor know anything about.
IbanezPsycho clear your message box so I can PM you.
I have questions regarding modding a Bad Monkey.

and for the topic. I just bought a Bad Monkey to use as a clean boost to tighten up my Rect-O-Verb and it did the job great.
Quote by mikemangone
IbanezPsycho clear your message box so I can PM you.
I have questions regarding modding a Bad Monkey.

and for the topic. I just bought a Bad Monkey to use as a clean boost to tighten up my Rect-O-Verb and it did the job great.

Scratchs head... Theres only 5 messages in there lol

Are you sending to me as a pm or message via profile?
Quote by IbanezPsycho
Scratchs head... Theres only 5 messages in there lol

Are you sending to me as a pm or message via profile?

Hmm well it said you were full earlier.
It worked just now.
Quote by IbanezPsycho

I love how people tell others to get something and they obvisiously have never touched the pedal in question nor know anything about.

Yup. Because having something in my rig definitely means I never touched it. Because that makes sense. =/

Quote by necrosis1193
Yup. Because having something in my rig definitely means I never touched it. Because that makes sense. =/

The bad monkey is metal you pomegranate.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
Quote by necrosis1193

You sure you dont have a plastic Behringer in your supposed rig? Because I bet you if I throw my metal Bad Monkey at you its gonna hurt like hell.
Quote by IbanezPsycho
You sure you dont have a plastic Behringer in your supposed rig? Because I bet you if I throw my metal Bad Monkey at you its gonna hurt like hell.

*glances at TS9DX* Yup, it says Ibanez. I'd assume you'd know with that kinda name.

As for the Bad Monkey, I just hated the sounds I heard when I tried it, and I stepped on it rather than touching it to turn it on, so I never felt the sides and it looks plastic to me. Apologies about getting that wrong.

@TS; I'm not a huge Digitech fan, so I'm still going to say the TS9, but I'll say Hardwire is a good series, especially amongst Digitech. Just need a good sound out of a pedal IMO, and the TS9 does that. I don't see the point of another mode to mess up your tone with.

Last edited by necrosis1193 at Dec 29, 2008,
can i use the tubescreamer or hardwire od to boost the mt-2 distortion pedal i have? because my pinch harmonics souns flat with what i have. im probably gettin new pickups too. btw i play a epi les paul that is gonna have a duncan sh-6 in the bridge and a alnico 2 pro in the neck. i also like the idea of two modes in the hardwire.
Quote by necrosis1193
*glances at TS9DX* Yup, it says Ibanez. I'd assume you'd know with that kinda name.

As for the Bad Monkey, I just hated the sounds I heard when I tried it, and I stepped on it rather than touching it to turn it on, so I never felt the sides and it looks plastic to me. Apologies about getting that wrong.

@TS; I'm not a huge Digitech fan, so I'm still going to say the TS9, but I'll say Hardwire is a good series, especially amongst Digitech. Just need a good sound out of a pedal IMO, and the TS9 does that. I don't see the point of another mode to mess up your tone with.

God your an idiot
Quote by IbanezPsycho
God your an idiot

How am I the idiot? You never clarified you were talking about the Bad Monkey, and if I were talking to someone, I would've assumed they were talking about the Ibanez with how you phrased it.

@TS; Probably. It just makes my Muff muddy when their used with each other, so I'm not sure, but it's a different pedal, so I assume it'll react different. Try first to make sure though.

Nice guitar(after the modifications) btw.

pinch harmonic issues are normally in the technique. how come no one pointed that out before hand? come on guys...sheesh
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Quote by dpounder
can i use the tubescreamer or hardwire od to boost the mt-2 distortion pedal i have? because my pinch harmonics souns flat with what i have. im probably gettin new pickups too. btw i play a epi les paul that is gonna have a duncan sh-6 in the bridge and a alnico 2 pro in the neck. i also like the idea of two modes in the hardwire.

You shouldn't need a metal zone at all with that amp once you get the Bad Monkey. Hit up the ultimate valveking thread and once you do the tips and tricks and get your settings right you will be good to go. There still going to sound a bit flat though because the amp isnt the perfect choice for metal. But the Bad Monkey will get you a hell of a lot closer then that boosting that metal zone ever will.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=969296

Quote by LaidBack
pinch harmonic issues are normally in the technique. how come no one pointed that out before hand? come on guys...sheesh

+1

Im going on the guy saying he can do them so ehh figured he can do them. I know what they sounded like on my valveking compared to my other amps and even with technique they can be a little bland. So boosting does help out a bit.
Last edited by IbanezPsycho at Dec 29, 2008,
Quote by necrosis1193
How am I the idiot? You never clarified you were talking about the Bad Monkey, and if I were talking to someone, I would've assumed they were talking about the Ibanez with how you phrased it.

@TS; Probably. It just makes my Muff muddy when their used with each other, so I'm not sure, but it's a different pedal, so I assume it'll react different. Try first to make sure though.

Nice guitar(after the modifications) btw.

"You sure you dont have a plastic Behringer in your supposed rig? Because I bet you if I throw my metal Bad Monkey at you its gonna hurt like hell."
IbanezPsycho

"The bad monkey is metal you pomegranate."
timi_hendrix

Thats two references pertaining to the bad monkey...

can you honestly be that retarded?
okay and btw i know it isnt technique cuz i can do them without the amp and i used to have a spider 3 and i could really get them to squeal with that. they just sound flat with this amp tho even with the mt-2 so im thinking and od can bring it out more and make it scream. im thinkin the pickups will help with that too. oh an thanx for the help and thanx for the guitar compliment. and stop arguing too lol.
Quote by IbanezPsycho
"You sure you dont have a plastic Behringer in your supposed rig? Because I bet you if I throw my metal Bad Monkey at you its gonna hurt like hell."
IbanezPsycho

"The bad monkey is metal you pomegranate."
timi_hendrix

Thats two references pertaining to the bad monkey...

can you honestly be that retarded?

"I stepped on it rather than touching it to turn it on, so I never felt the sides and it looks plastic to me. Apologies about getting that wrong."

How about you read an entire post before calling someone retarded?

Quote by IbanezPsycho

Im going on the guy saying he can do them so ehh figured he can do them. I know what they sounded like on my valveking compared to my other amps and even with technique they can be a little bland. So boosting does help out a bit.

amen. for a long time i could not do pinch harmonics, and i could never figure out why because it felt like i had the technique down.

then i ran my MI audio crunch box over the drive channel of my hotrod and all of a sudden i can do pinch harmonics all day long.

gain ftw
Quote by Johansensan
sir, i would like to inform you that you are now my favorite UGer. Not only did you use the word y'all, which is native to my homeland, but you correctly punctuated it using the apostrophe.

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
Quote by dpounder
okay and btw i know it isnt technique cuz i can do them without the amp and i used to have a spider 3 and i could really get them to squeal with that. they just sound flat with this amp tho even with the mt-2 so im thinking and od can bring it out more and make it scream. im thinkin the pickups will help with that too. oh an thanx for the help and thanx for the guitar compliment. and stop arguing too lol.

just for kicks, try running your MT-2 over the overdrive channel of your amp with the gain for both set to about 10-11 O'clock and see if that does anything. i've never really used an MT-2, so that may sound like crap
Quote by Johansensan
sir, i would like to inform you that you are now my favorite UGer. Not only did you use the word y'all, which is native to my homeland, but you correctly punctuated it using the apostrophe.

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
Quote by necrosis1193
"I stepped on it rather than touching it to turn it on, so I never felt the sides and it looks plastic to me. Apologies about getting that wrong."

How about you read an entire post before calling someone retarded?

Your telling me to read the posts... That coming from the person that didnt know what the hell we where talking for 99% of the conversation adds to the fact you are well... you already know we dont have to say it lol

But its all good man no since in dragging it out, I've made my point....
Quote by bored_maniac33
just for kicks, try running your MT-2 over the overdrive channel of your amp with the gain for both set to about 10-11 O'clock and see if that does anything. i've never really used an MT-2, so that may sound like crap

Yup it wouldnt sound to hot... He can try gain boost on the lead channel off, gain around 6-8 on the amp. Then take the MT-2 all settings 12 oclock except level at 10 and gain at 0

Give it a shot...
You may have the best luck by doing without the MT-2 and using whatever boost you decide on over an already overdriven amp. And I generally agree with Jof's sentiments regarding which OD.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
holy **** guys, just quit your stupid bickering. i rarely even come to UG anymore because its full of people fighting all the time. People need to act a little more mature and just let things go.

and TS, the tubescreamer is the better pedal, but the bad monkey is in no way bad. if you can afford the ibanez, then get it, however you will not be disappointed with the bad monkey.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
If you don't mind spending the extra cash, the TS9 would be the way to go.
The bad monkey is nice, but the TS9 is worth the extra green.
The eq controls on the BM are nice, though.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
i tried that stuff i suggested but they still sound the same. i think il get new pickups first then a tubescreamer.
Unless you're using just really bad pickups, the OD may have a more drastic effect.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
TS9 all the way! Although the Bad Monkey is fantastic its a touch off the TS9 vibe. The bass control is a great addition though
right now i just have the stock pickups that came with my epi les paul custom plus.
I'm sure those aren't great. But I'd say the OD might still help you a little more than new pickups. But, if you plan on getting both, I don't guess it matters much.

Quote by ibz_bucket

Quote by tubetime86
Page 1 of 2