Page 1 of 2
I am looking for an amp that can play the most metal of riffs , have an amazing clean channel and still be able to play pink Floyd .... is it even possible ?

I would like it to be a combo amp ,1-2 speakers . It should be a nice looking /black/
I've been looking at mesa boogie , but I'm still not sure.

could you guys find me an amp in the
300 dollar range
600 dollar range
1000 dollar range
1500 dollar range

reason being that I have no cash limit , but I would like to compare so I can find best bang for buck

in a perfect world I would like to find it for 500-800 dollars Canadian

any tips for buying like buying used instead of new and what not, would be appreciated

thanks
ask any questions
I will be more then happy to answer

the reason why I'm asking is that my mini cube broke and I would like to step it up a bit
Sounds like you're after a Line6 SpiderValve (not the cheap Spiders, mind you, the Valve is a completely different thing), either that or the H&K Switchblade, I've got one myself. It's pricier and doesn't have as many models but it's got a lot of good features. If you go used, you might find a MESA/Boogie Rect-o-Verb, that's pretty awesome too.
Look at some ENGLs, about $1400 in Canada but it would be good for you.
ಠ_ಠ
B-52 can be found for a really decent price and has a great gain channel and an awesome clean channel.
is there anything decent @ 600-ish ? (400-800)

Also I want two speakers not one ( changed my mind )
Bugera 333xl can do what you want, it's perfect for you, if you're willing to work with the easily solved reliability issues.
HOWAYA LUV ;D

BUGERA USERS MILITIA
A b-52 at-212 would fit your specs- they're a bit unreliable i've heard though...

but right around 500-600 i think
My gear:
PRS SE custom
~!~--Peavey XXX super 40 EFX --~!~
Peavey VK 112

===WGS Vet30
===JJ power tubes

---Pedals:
-ISP Decimator
-Digitech Bad Monkey
-Crybaby wah
-Korg Pitchblack
-Danelectro FnC EQ
Anything from the randall G3 series would be good
I leik music
I got my B-52 at2-12 for 500 new. So you can find em. I had to replace a few tubes but after that it's been all good.
Quote by CrazehSteve
Bugera 333xl can do what you want, it's perfect for you, if you're willing to work with the easily solved reliability issues.

are you serious? a lot of the problems resulted in the amps being sent back.

the B-52 is also unreliable at times, but it is a good amp.

Both are a risk, at least a higher risk than most tube amps
Peavey XXX combo *upgraded screen resistors, Tung-Sol's, and 6L6's*
Schecter Syn Std. * modded, scalloped, and worn*
Schecter C-1 Elite *still sexy*
Ibanez AEL 12-string

"He who sticks his dick in peanut butter is fucking nuts"
Look at Mesa/ Engl Screamer/ Laney VC50 / Peavey 5150 combos
Ibanez PGM301 signed by Paul Gilbert
Ibanez PGM 500
Ibanez Fireman custom
Saving for a GH100L/VH100R
Orange PPC212 2X12
Mesa F series, always between 600 and 1000 used.
Fender Standard American Stratocaster
Boss DS-1
Budda Budwah
Electroharmonix Small Clone
Vox AD50VT
Quote by Flying Couch
Carvin V3? H&K Switchblade? Line6 Vetta or HD147?

arent the vetta's SS?

i would look into Peavey 6505+/5150, Bogner Alchemist (i would say Uberschall, if your lookin towards the top of your range...but you wouldnt be able to try one most likely), the b-52's seem to be quite the steal...but no experience with them. the line 6 spider valves are decent too.

theres alot out there man especially if you have no limit....go play something!!!

EDIT: almost forgot! those Randall amps that have the changeable pre amp modules look sweet, and ive heard clips of them on you tube...but never actually used one myself. The Tread Plate module is orgasmic tho...check it out!

ultimately my vote for the heavy metal gain, but still have good cleans....look into the uberschall...that thing rips man
Last edited by xXMetal-HeadXx at Dec 29, 2008,
Quote by xXMetal-HeadXx
arent the vetta's SS?

Yup. Modelling amps. But he never specified tube.
I play mostly in my bedroom and jam with friends , so tubes are a waste since there only worth it if you play loud.
so solid state
now what are my choices
Line6 Flextone or Vetta, or if you can find one a Hughes and Kettner Zentera. I've never actually played one but everyone says they're great.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
Quote by shadow__666
Line6 Flextone or Vetta, or if you can find one a Hughes and Kettner Zentera. I've never actually played one but everyone says they're great.

Good enough for Alex Motherfucking Lifeson, I think they're good enough for anybody.

But yes... H&K, Line6 (not Spiders, but the rest are good), and some others, though I can't think of them right now. Those are modellers, specifically. Carvin's SX series solid states are supposed to be pretty nice, and there are some nice Fender ones if you're willing to look. Though not necessarily new ones.
Vetta gets a +1
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
I would definately go for a tube amp. Of course a tube sounds better at high volume, but even at low volume they still sound better than most solid states
RG's & Mesa's
Quote by e32lover
I would definately go for a tube amp. Of course a tube sounds better at high volume, but even at low volume they still sound better than most solid states

can some one else back this up?
Quote by Matt0690
can some one else back this up?

I think anyone else whose played a tube amp can aswell.
Fender Standard American Stratocaster
Boss DS-1
Budda Budwah
Electroharmonix Small Clone
Vox AD50VT
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Line-6-Flextone-III-Plus-1x12-Stereo-Combo-Amp?sku=482241

theres also a 2x12

i thought about getting the spider valve until i saw this. this one is better. i should point out the valve doesnt have a headphone jack.
how fragile are tube amps ?

if I'm carrying it and I slip , it'll fall a foot or two ,will that kill the amp ?

also are tubes even worth it ?
Quote by Matt0690
how fragile are tube amps ?

if I'm carrying it and I slip , it'll fall a foot or two ,will that kill the amp ?

also are tubes even worth it ?

I seriously doubt it would even get remotely damaged, especially if its a combo.
I saw a video of a 1x12 or 2x12 Crate tube combo being thrown about 6 feet
and it worked perfectly fine.

And tubes are only about 10-20 bucks a piece anyways, so one or two broken
tubes won't set you back too far.

Tube amps are definitely worth it, the tone is muuch better than most solid states.
Tubes are much better than a Solid State. I have a Spider 3 75w and then the 100w b52 combo. The B-52 is better by far. But I'm going to tell you like this. Most people here will not agree cause they just say what everyone else says. I really like my Spider 3 for what it is. I don't try to make it something that it's not though. If I only had one amp, sure it'd be tube. But for just practicing and small jams, the spider is perfect I think.
I still believe that if TS only plans to play at low volumes, there's no real point of him having a tube amp because the idea is to crank tubes to their full potential, which you can't do when in small areas. Tubes also come with other hassles that SS doesn't.

Honestly, if they could make an SS amp that doesn't clip at high volumes and has the warmth of a tube amp while taking pedals well, I'd buy it in a flash.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
In my experience tube amps at low volumes sound about the same as good SS amps at low volumes. When you get to turn them up they really shine, unlike SS amps. Again it's preference and opinion but there is nothing wrong with playing a tube amp at low volume.
Also as pointed out by HtH, when something breaks on a tube amp - it's usually repairable, unlike most SS amps. And if you are only playing at low volume, why bother with a flextone or vetta etc? Just get a MicroCube, Da5 or Vypyr. But if you want to occasionally turn it up, (just try to not crank it up on occasion, that's like eating one potato chip) maybe a tube would be better. Just a thought.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Last edited by gregs1020 at Dec 30, 2008,
if you want metal and cleans and both done well you want to be looking at engl, Laney, mesa, splawn, soldano and diezel

EDIT: ok now i've actually read the thread, get a flextone 3 with the floor controller
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
Last edited by stevo_epi_SG_wo at Dec 30, 2008,
I have a HiWatt 100 watt SS amp that sounds fantastic and just as good as a Bugera 6260 (that keeps blowing fuses btw and is being sent back) at low volumes however the sheer volume that the bugera will reach without breaking up was pretty amazing so better for playing live, unless you mike the amp and send through a PA, but not everywhere has a PA of course.
Quote by Matt0690
I play mostly in my bedroom and jam with friends , so tubes are a waste since there only worth it if you play loud.
so solid state
now what are my choices

attuneater? (bad spelling sorry)
well I decided that I did my home work and probably going to go with mesa , or line 6
I'm just going to go to store to store and check it out

could people recommend some riffs that I should learn to actually look like I know what I'm doing when testing the amps , I don't want to go amp to amp playing the same 4 riffs if you know what i mean

I'd like to know a

clean slow acoustic song , a funk piece , blues
a classic song that any body could catch by ear ( yes I want to show off a little )
a metal riff , and heavy metal riff ,and a high pitch solo

I want to learn this before going simply so I can see the difference in amps , and not to look like a noob

I will play my own stuff on it mind you , I'd just like to have a back up. I will also use my own guitar
Behold, the Randall RM series
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Randall-RM50B-50Watt-1x12-Modular-Tube-Combo-Amp?sku=481256

They have interswappable preamp modules, so you can have two very different sounds in one amp. Also, all the modules I've tried sound awesome, but different. If you put in a Blackface and XTC module, you'll get exactly what you want: Pink Floydian cleans and chunky metal tones.

I'm seriously considering getting one of these. I want a high gain combo, myself.
I'm pretty sure theres a peavey 5150/6505 2x14 combo out there...
My Band =]
We play some goffic pish
Its fun

Leave us a comment, we'll get back to you =]
Peavey 6505+. And a speaker of course.

EDIT:Those riffs
Recognizable metal riff: Master of Puppets!
Clean: Fade to Black, One, Welcome Home Sanitarium, Master of Puppets clean part... (Yes I am a die-hard Metallica fan)
Highpitch solo: One, anything from Kill 'Em All, Creeping Death.
Quote by goest
^Absolute. Uncompromising. 100% pure, fresh. Solid. Gold.

Quote by WCPhils
That might be my favorite shoop I have ever seen on here.

Quote by KnightBand
Yes! ****ing Yes! YOU LEGEND!!!
Last edited by Drakathan at Dec 30, 2008,
Page 1 of 2