Hey just a quick question about my Ashdown Electric Blue 1x15. I have a slightly older model than that on the official Ashdown website. I got it about a year and a half ago.

On the online instruction manual, the two input jacks are labelled Passive and Active, but on mine, they are labelled High and Low. I have a Squier VM Jazz (Passive) and a Cort Curbow 4 (Active). Which jack should I be plugging each one into? Does it even make a difference? I only noticed this recently when I got my Cort a couple of months ago.

This is a link to the Ashdown site:

http://www.ashdownmusic.com/bass/detail.asp?ID=103

Cheers
Eh i dont really see the point in different slots for bass's. But the high is the minus 15db i think and the low is the normal. Or its the other way around i cant remembver. Its not going tomake huge amount of difference anyway.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
High for passive.

Low for active.

The low input has a -15dB pad on it or summit, its so the preamp on your bass doesnt clip the preamp of your Ashdown and give you a distorted sound.

If it's the other way round, Ive been plugging into the wrong one all this time! I never use the low input cause I only have one bass (which is passive).

Quote by fatgoogle
Eh i dont really see the point in different slots for bass's. But the high is the minus 15db i think and the low is the normal. Or its the other way around i cant remembver. Its not going tomake huge amount of difference anyway.

15dB is a massive amount in percieved volume, I think a drop of 3dB is half the perceved volume or summit.

Gear:
Fender Standard Jazz Bass
Artec Matrix Pedal Tuner
BBE Optostomp
Boss GEB 7
EHX NYC Big Muff
Ashdown MAG C410T-300
Torque T100BX
GAS-ing for:
Boss SYB5
Behringer Intelligate IG9
Quote by Ashdown Manual
INPUTS
On the MAG 300 and Electric Blue 180, there are two choices of instrument input, these are marked
HIGH and LOW.The HIGH input is high sensitivity and also high impedance to suit the output from
PASSIVE basses.The LOW input is low sensitivity and lower impedance to suit the output from ACTIVE
basses.

I google'd Ashdown discontinued model manual and it was the 3rd result.

EDIT -

</thread>

Gear:
Artec Matrix Pedal Tuner
BBE Optostomp
Boss GEB 7
EHX NYC Big Muff
Ashdown MAG C410T-300
Torque T100BX
GAS-ing for:
Boss SYB5
Ya but dont passive bas's put out higher impendance, or something like that so its really redundant, any way ive alsways run my active with the active switch of. I just prefered it.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
It matters a whole lot though. I still get clipping even though I'm in the active input, but my signal is mighty strong if I max out my volume knob... (My drive sounds like a fuzz when I'm half volume and play a tad too hard)
Maruszczyk Jake X Redburst
Woodo B5x Aboyna Burl
Ashdown MAG300H + Ashdown 1x15 (Eminence Delta 15)

Believing Carlos!
Turn down your input level. The needle "should" just be touching the 0dB mark on the meter when you play your hardest.

If you like your tone, keep at it! I use my EQ pedal as a boost to send my preamp into a little clipping.

Gear:
Artec Matrix Pedal Tuner
BBE Optostomp
Boss GEB 7
EHX NYC Big Muff
Ashdown MAG C410T-300
Torque T100BX
GAS-ing for:
Boss SYB5
Quote by Jonnomainman
Turn down your input level. The needle "should" just be touching the 0dB mark on the meter when you play your hardest.

If you like your tone, keep at it! I use my EQ pedal as a boost to send my preamp into a little clipping.

It is as far down it can go without being dead silent. Still, the head is at bedroom level so it doesn't suffer from this whilst cranked, but still, the drive is another story. I need a compressor
Woodo B5x Aboyna Burl

Believing Carlos!
How about turning the output level on the bass (volume control) then using the input level on the amp to boost it up to a useable level?

You're inbetween a rock and a hard place here!

Gear:
Artec Matrix Pedal Tuner
BBE Optostomp
Boss GEB 7
EHX NYC Big Muff
Ashdown MAG C410T-300
Torque T100BX
GAS-ing for:
Boss SYB5
Quote by Jonnomainman
How about turning the output level on the bass (volume control) then using the input level on the amp to boost it up to a useable level?

You're inbetween a rock and a hard place here!

Well, could work, but still, a compressor would probably do the trick alot better.

I'm thinking of a matching EBS MultiComp.
Woodo B5x Aboyna Burl

Believing Carlos!
It would work but you'd have to have the compression on 24/7. You might not want it on all the time.

Gear:
Artec Matrix Pedal Tuner
BBE Optostomp
Boss GEB 7
EHX NYC Big Muff
Ashdown MAG C410T-300
Torque T100BX
GAS-ing for:
Boss SYB5
Do it man, Itys an awesome pedal, Ill have to get an endorsment with EBS so i can get all there stuff cheaper.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Quote by Jonnomainman
It would work but you'd have to have the compression on 24/7. You might not want it on all the time.

Hm. I guess you're right. But I'd be fine with having on for most of the time. It's not an issue for as long as the drive isn't active.
Woodo B5x Aboyna Burl

Believing Carlos!
How is your EQ set up? I've found that if you've got the bass boosted it makes the preamp clip more easily.
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
Quote by indie-bassist
How is your EQ set up? I've found that if you've got the bass boosted it makes the preamp clip more easily.

Yeah, I know this, so I keep all my knobs at a reasonable level. I actually only boost a little, and if I want less, I cut instead of boost less. So it's never past 2,30 o clock.

EDIT: You got me there. My 9V Active EQ is probably the culprit in this case. I actually boost the bass frequency on the bass, aswell as the mids. Guess my passive days got the best of me.

Thanks anyway
Woodo B5x Aboyna Burl

Believing Carlos!
Last edited by Lilldjuret at Dec 29, 2008,